RougeLeader
01-18-2007, 07:53 AM
what i'm wondering is there's a whole boat load of media(mostly TV and movies) with refrence to reincarnation,magic,sorcery and idol worship where do we draw the line on what to watch. I mean there's shows on TV like Avatar and yui-gohio(don't quote the spelling) and that's not even looking at movies and books like Harry Potter and Eragon.
I'm not hating on one or any of the above just using them as examples. IM SO CONFUSED?????? ??? ??? ??? ???

skynes
01-18-2007, 08:48 AM
what i'm wondering is there's a whole boat load of media(mostly TV and movies) with refrence to reincarnation,magic,sorcery and idol worship where do we draw the line on what to watch. I mean there's shows on TV like Avatar and yui-gohio(don't quote the spelling) and that's not even looking at movies and books like Harry Potter and Eragon.
I'm not hating on one or any of the above just using them as examples. IM SO CONFUSED?????? ??? ??? ??? ???

Go to God. What does He tell you? Follow that.

terrasin
01-18-2007, 11:45 AM
I personally enjoy fantasy. Reading it, watching it, it's all good. Some people have a conviction against them, and that's fine, but remember that it's a personal conviction and not something you promote as gospel to others.

CJ

RougeLeader
01-18-2007, 12:54 PM
(sorry this took so long I was loged off)
Don't get me wrong I love fantasy to Lord Of The Rings and The Chronicls Of Narnia are some of my alltime favs.
And I totally get the whole personal conviction stuff.
I mean for a while in my life I refused to bring a box of Junior Mints:lick: into a movie. Now it dosn't bother me a bit.

I Bite
01-18-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm sorry if I'm confused or something, but what does not bringing Junior Mints into a movie have to do with anything?

eowyn
01-18-2007, 02:43 PM
well.. because techically, you're not supposed to do that because concessions are a big money maker for the theatre.

DarkestRose
01-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Well, I would disagree with brining food into theaters if they have rules against it. Personal convictions are cool, but when there are actual established rules, they should be followed unless they violate God's law.

dawn of light
01-19-2007, 08:17 AM
I personally enjoy fantasy. Reading it, watching it, it's all good. Some people have a conviction against them, and that's fine, but remember that it's a personal conviction and not something you promote as gospel to others.
Exactly what I wanted to say. I really like fantasy. But God has convicted me to not allow certain kinds of fantasy and into my mind, things I think are inappropriate. Other kinds I have no problem with.

Do as God leads you.

kybz
01-20-2007, 03:42 AM
Where do we draw the line?

It's a good question. I could follow the others with their whole "Go to God" thing because it is a very good answer and is the right thing to do.

But I say do not only go to God in prayer but go to His word. The Word says that we shouldn't conform to the world, which can also mean that we shouldn't compromise with it either.

I too love fantasy. I'm a huge fan of Tolkien, David Eddings and many others. Yet, a lot of fantasy involves magic and scorcery, just as you said Rogueleader - hey, look at Starwars even it has the 'Force' in it, yet it is an awesome story.

So, where do we draw the line? I draw it at outright examples of satan acts. Take Eragon for example, my daughter got the book for Christmas this year and I began to read it.

It is now buried in some rubbish dump, most likely under some stinking rotten food scraps and such where it deserves to be. Why? Because it outrightly refers to arcane powers that utilises the acts of spell-casting, pentagrams, and witchcraft, and makes them sound as though they have a rightful place in society.

It is a perversed and twisted form of power that no one has any right to think they can use, or control.

The only true power we have comes through our Lord and Saviour, for all power is in Him alone. The other stuff is Satans deformed form of 'power' that really has no authority - even though it is real.

I think there is a big difference bewteen creating a fictonal story that alludes to people with 'powers' that causes us to think 'Oh wouldn't it be cool if we could do that', and creating a story that uses actual casting words and relates to realistic sources of power. It may seem pedantic to some but there is power in words - even if they are not spoken, and we need to be really careful in what we let in our minds and, in turn, our hearts.

skynes
01-20-2007, 04:19 AM
I think there is a big difference bewteen creating a fictonal story that alludes to people with 'powers' that causes us to think 'Oh wouldn't it be cool if we could do that', and creating a story that uses actual casting words and relates to realistic sources of power. It may seem pedantic to some but there is power in words - even if they are not spoken, and we need to be really careful in what we let in our minds and, in turn, our hearts.

Which is exactly why I play some games (Magic: The Gathering, D&D) and refuse to touch others (Yu-Gi-Oh).

But I say do not only go to God in prayer but go to His word. The Word says that we shouldn't conform to the world, which can also mean that we shouldn't compromise with it either.

*snap* that was my line...

terrasin
01-20-2007, 12:06 PM
There is also a big difference between unrealistic incantations and ones that are meant to be taken seriously from people who practice what they believe is realistic dark arts. Personally, I don't find anything "evil" about incantations that are in fantasy games/books because the authors of these are creating their own fantasy world, not something they believe to be religion.

CJ

RougeLeader
01-20-2007, 01:16 PM
That really does help me!;D ;D
I was just watching Indiana Jones and the temple of doom last night and was thinking about the exact same thing. Thanks a MILLION CJ!!!!!!!!!!!;D :D ;D :D

skynes
01-20-2007, 03:57 PM
There is also a big difference between unrealistic incantations and ones that are meant to be taken seriously from people who practice what they believe is realistic dark arts. Personally, I don't find anything "evil" about incantations that are in fantasy games/books because the authors of these are creating their own fantasy world, not something they believe to be religion.

CJ

I think Kirby meant the author using an incantation used in real life by witches.

Made up ones are of no consequence of course.

kybz
01-21-2007, 12:25 AM
I think Kirby meant the author using an incantation used in real life by witches.

Made up ones are of no consequence of course.

Ummmm, kinda. ;D

I'll try to explain it in another way.

Words have power, whether real or made up. That is one reason writers can write really good books or really bad ones. The plot could be awesome but wihout the right words it will go nowhere.

I guess you could say it is the thought behind the words that really makes it powerful. Take Tolkien's Elvish languages for example: they are a made up language created by Tolkien for his novels. They are not 'real' yet they can still cause the same hurts or happiness that 'real' words can as long as there is understanding from the 'receiver'.

Now, I'm not talking about idle threats made in novels - they are just part of the story. For example, a character in my novel says, "I hope the plague affects you for eternity!" in a burst of anger. Those words are nothing but meaningless drizzle. But when a novel like Eragon outrightly tells of its charcters standing in a Pentagram reciting incantations and spells to make things happen, that is where I draw the line. Whether the words are real or made up because it is the thought that has gone into the words that make it real.

Am i making sense? I hope I am.

Proverbs 15:23 says:

A man has joy by the answer of his mouth,
And a word spoken in due season, how good it is!

and later in the same chapter, verse 28:

The heart of the righteous studies how to answer,
but the mouth of the wicked pours forth evil.

I am simply saying that it is better for us a Christians to be wise in what we read for even though we may not say the words, we still allow them to be a part of us by reading them. It does not matter whether the words are 'real' or not for the thought behind them is the same.

The bible encourages us to guard our minds against the attacks of Satan and in this I also encourage you all not to fall into the whole "its not a real word." trap. As I said, the word may not be real but the thought behind it is.

I hope I have made myself a little clearer at least.

skynes
01-21-2007, 03:37 AM
I would drop the book just at the pentagram bit, never mind the incantations... I'm fussy like that when it comes to occult stuff.

DarkestRose
01-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Yeah, occult stuff is a real turn off for me in books. I like Lord of the Rings and I like Narnia but I think that our generation is too fascinated with occult elements in fantasy books/movies.

skynes
01-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Yu-Gi-Oh is absolutely DRENCHED in the occult.

DarkestRose
01-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Yu-Gi-Oh is absolutely DRENCHED in the occult.

Is it? I never was much into that show because it was anime. I thought it was like Pokemon only with cards. Hmmm...[I mean, I believe you. I was just kinda surprised.]

skynes
01-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Pokemon has a card game too.

the Western version of the card game has all the pentagrams taken off the cards and replaced with 10pt stars. Some of the symbols though (one of the seals) is a hexagram used in witchcraft. There's also a Ouijja board as cards.

So yeah, it's drenched in it.