NightCrawler
01-18-2007, 08:30 AM
What is wrong with slavery?

dawn of light
01-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Human beings were not created to be dominated by one another.

eowyn
01-18-2007, 02:26 PM
... or ... to be domintated by things and desires...

alienyouth9292
01-18-2007, 02:36 PM

are you serious??????

DarkestRose
01-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Is this a serious question? Or are we just arguing for the sake of controversial debate?

Spiffles
01-18-2007, 03:04 PM

Depends who you ask...

Suppose if you had a time machine and asked the Ancient Romans they would say nothing is wrong with it.

NightCrawler
01-18-2007, 07:29 PM
Human beings were not created to be dominated by one another.
Kings
Presidents
Dictators
Parents
Legal guardians

Or did I miss something?

dawn of light
01-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Domination is a lot different than leadership, guidance, and vision.

DarkestRose
01-18-2007, 10:20 PM
So are you advocating pro-slavery?

skynes
01-19-2007, 04:52 AM
You people really don't get Nightcrawler do you...

He's not advocating anything. He's just asking for clear reasons why slavery is wrong.

NightCrawler
01-19-2007, 06:16 AM
Domination is a lot different than leadership, guidance, and vision.
True, but a king has all four.

Thanks, Skynes.

lamb_servant72
01-19-2007, 07:12 AM
I have never stopped to think about that question, Jonathan. Abraham had slaves. The Israelites had slaves. God gave them laws in Leviticus on properly dealing with their slaves. If slavery was wrong...wouldn't God have just said so? The Levite Priests had slaves. David had slaves. Solomon had slaves.

Paul talks about being a slave to God's law (Ro 7:25) and being a slave to Christ (1Co 7:22).

1Co 9:19 - Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.

Mr 10:44 - and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all.

dawn of light
01-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Maybe we need to properly define slave...

Does the word carry a different meaning today than is used in the Bible? When I think of slave I think of someone being held against their will, mistreated, beaten, and forced to work an unhealthy amount in horrible conditions. That kind of mistreatment is clearly wrong and also what I meant by being "dominated". But Lisa is right, God doesn't say anything about slavery being wrong.

Mr 10:44 - and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all.
The translation of the Bible I use says servant instead of slave. I think of a servant as willing. I doubt that being subjugated against our will is what God meant here.

It seems to me that in the Bible the words slave and servant are interchangeable but they have different connotations depending on the slave/servants attitude. Kind of like the difference between obedience and submission. Willing or against their will. Perhaps one of our students of Biblical Greek can shed some light on this?

terrasin
01-19-2007, 09:37 AM
Biblically, there is nothing against slavery. I think it boils down to how the master treats said slaves. However, it would then depend on the local laws of whatever country you are living in.

CJ

DarkestRose
01-19-2007, 01:50 PM
You people really don't get Nightcrawler do you...

He's not advocating anything. He's just asking for clear reasons why slavery is wrong.

Well, I wasn't exactly sure what he was trying to figure out. I was trying to see if he was coming from a certain position or if he was just asking the question for discussion's sake. I'm not accusing him of anything, just trying to figure out the purpose of the thread.

skynes
01-19-2007, 02:56 PM
Biblical slavery was like an enforced hired servant. The rules God placed down on treating them was reallllllly strict.

e.g. They were to earn pay, be well fed, clothed and homed. Not to be punished unnecessarily or too extremely.

The big one...

After 7 years, all slaves were to be immediately freed. They were to be provided money and clothing to start a new life.
BUT if they decided to stay with their master, they were given an earring to show they are a lifetime slave.

----

in case I'm wrong on any of this (like the pay bit) I'll go double check and give exact references.

NightCrawler
01-20-2007, 07:04 AM
Biblical slavery was like an enforced hired servant. The rules God placed down on treating them was reallllllly strict.

e.g. They were to earn pay, be well fed, clothed and homed. Not to be punished unnecessarily or too extremely.

The big one...

After 7 years, all slaves were to be immediately freed. They were to be provided money and clothing to start a new life.
BUT if they decided to stay with their master, they were given an earring to show they are a lifetime slave.

----

in case I'm wrong on any of this (like the pay bit) I'll go double check and give exact references.
There were indentured servants as well, ya know.

By the way, they were freed every seven years according to the year of Jubilee, if I am not mistaken. And this regardless to when you started. Debts canceled, I believe.

unshakeable15
01-25-2007, 09:31 AM
That slave with the earring was called a bond slave. They willingly gave themselves over to slavery, for whatever reason. That is the word that Paul uses at the beginning of his letters (i'm specifically thinking of Philippians). i'm not sure about other times he uses it.