alienyouth9292
01-30-2007, 12:10 PM
man, this site is hilarious!!! these people are totally crazy......www.atheists.org.

it just goes to show you the power of Satan's lies....

DarkestRose
01-30-2007, 01:38 PM
It's sad. I didn't look at the site for too long. It looked more like they were "fundamentalist athiests." I really don't like making fun of them as simply "crazy" though. I have a gut-level longing for these people to know and love God. Really, it's more sad than hilarious. There's not much hope in believing that this is all there is. And the problem is that a lot of Christians want to defend their position more than reach out to them. So they don't see Jesus in Christians. They see hypocrisy. They see people who say one thing and do another.

alienyouth9292
01-30-2007, 02:40 PM
true, i didn't think of it that way....

DarkestRose
01-30-2007, 03:01 PM
true, i didn't think of it that way....

I should point out that I don't mean to pick on you at all. So I want to apologize if I come off that way.

alienyouth9292
01-30-2007, 03:19 PM
i'm not mad at all, you're right....christians need to reach out rather than making fun....

kybz
01-31-2007, 02:51 AM
And the problem is that a lot of Christians want to defend their position more than reach out to them. So they don't see Jesus in Christians. They see hypocrisy. They see people who say one thing and do another.

How true this statement is! This is one of the biggest downfalls of the modern church - the fact that most Christians seem happy to be bench-warmers than soul-savers.

There are so many broken people out there seeking for something worthwhile and fulfilling, yet there are so many Christians seemingly ready to forget the greatest commandment, and here is where non-believers see the greatest hypocrisy...

So, very much like yourself Jennifer, I feel very sad for these people that are lost and lonely and try to attack Christianity because they simply are not told the truth but rely more on what they see and hear.

Tromos
01-31-2007, 04:59 AM
I don't believe in atheism.

NightCrawler
01-31-2007, 05:51 AM

But that doesn't necessarily make you a theist, does it?

terrasin
01-31-2007, 10:36 AM
Atheists don't believe in God... but he still exists as well. :P

CJ

Tromos
01-31-2007, 10:56 AM
Atheists don't believe in God... but he still exists as well. :P

That was, of course, the point. Those who profess atheism further profess a denial of something so obvious and intuitive as God. So, since they have bent their belief system around an absurdity, I will follow suit.

So I re-iterate:

I don't believe in atheism. Or atheists either, for that matter.

DarkestRose
01-31-2007, 11:35 AM
That was, of course, the point. Those who profess atheism further profess a denial of something so obvious and intuitive as God. So, since they have bent their belief system around an absurdity, I will follow suit.

So I re-iterate:

I don't believe in atheism. Or atheists either, for that matter.

I do agree that God does seem rather intuitive. There are just so many nuances in this world as well that proclaim Him. It's just really neat to reflect on.

Quadripedman
01-31-2007, 04:38 PM
yea...it is sad though. only one thing: ask them if they celebrate Christmas.

DarkestRose
01-31-2007, 04:44 PM
I had a teacher in the sixth grade who was an atheist and he didn't let us have a Christmas party because he didn't believe in God.

Though probably a good portion of atheists do celebrate Christmas or at least some winter holiday.

skilletfreak101
01-31-2007, 05:00 PM
why would people so much want to believe in athiesm? maybe it's because they can't stand alot of the christians today? that's what i believe. i don't think alot of us christians are doing our job...:-(

Tromos
01-31-2007, 05:18 PM
While dcTalk may be convinced that "the greatest cause of atheism is Christians", I would disagree.

The greatest cause of atheism is Satan.

alienyouth9292
01-31-2007, 05:28 PM
While dcTalk may be convinced that "the greatest cause of atheism is Christians", I would disagree.

The greatest cause of atheism is Satan.

i would agree with that statement....

terrasin
01-31-2007, 08:02 PM
Maybe not the greatest, but Christians certainly don't help the cause. People these days have a natural desire for rebellion. Anything that says "you can't do..." they want nothing to do with. Hence, so many people hate any form of government.

CJ

DarkestRose
01-31-2007, 10:10 PM
Atheism is probably contributed by multiple factors and I don’t know if the “greatest cause” is measurable.

I think that people who believe in atheism are, to a large extent, trying to deny the brokenness of the world as caused by sin. If the world is made up only of what the five senses and the rational mind can comprehend, than right and wrong really would be irrelevant. Therefore, no guilt because there is no sin. It’s an easy cop out.

Some people might not be simply because of life experience. There could be people who come from rough family situations or had some past trauma that simply convinced them a loving God could not exist. I read one book about a man whose father had schizophrenia and after his father’s death this was sadly the conclusion he came to. He just gave up on the idea of things like hope or love or God existing.

I don’t know if Christians cause it as much as rub salt in the wound. I mean, I’ve run across some Christians that I find hypocritical or at least very Un-Christlike, but I don’t throw out my whole faith and say, “Jesus, so-and-so’s a jerk, so I think my religion is a sham!” I think that they usually have some prejudices beforehand and judgmental hypocritical Christians just re-enforce the ideas.

I think the idea of rules and regulations could also be easily amended. True there are certain things that God commands us to avoid. But I think we could be contagiously spreading all that God tells us to do: live in harmony with each other, love thy neighbor, and so on. I think if we accentuated the dos we could emphasize how the don’ts are that way because they interfere with the dos that we are trying to influence our world with.

Also, as a side note, DC Talk didn’t make up the one quote. It was them quoting Brennan Manning.

Tromos
02-01-2007, 06:19 AM
I think that people who believe in atheism are, to a large extent, trying to deny the brokenness of the world as caused by sin. If the world is made up only of what the five senses and the rational mind can comprehend, than right and wrong really would be irrelevant. Therefore, no guilt because there is no sin. Itís an easy cop out.

Nicely put.

DC Talk didnít make up the one quote. It was them quoting Brennan Manning.

Thank you. I always wondered who they were quoting but I could never figure that out.

asparagus
02-01-2007, 09:11 AM
I don't think all atheists are atheists because of some kind of psychological factor in their life, as has been suggested. Rather, I think some atheists (indeed, the ones I have met), live well rounded, moral lives (often times seeming more caring and forgiving than many Christians), and base their opinions on respectable logic. I think it's important for Christians not to assume that atheists are just stupid and emotional.

DarkestRose
02-01-2007, 11:57 AM
I don't think all atheists are atheists because of some kind of psychological factor in their life, as has been suggested. Rather, I think some atheists (indeed, the ones I have met), live well rounded, moral lives (often times seeming more caring and forgiving than many Christians), and base their opinions on respectable logic. I think it's important for Christians not to assume that atheists are just stupid and emotional.

No, I wasn't implying that all are that why. I listed that reason among many other reasons. For different people, it works in different ways.

asparagus
02-01-2007, 01:23 PM
I didn't mean to make it sound like I was responding to anyone's single post. I was more trying to address what I perceived to be a general theme. Apologies if I was wrong in my perceptions.

newday_7
02-01-2007, 09:25 PM
okay sorry to be a bother, but atheism, is when the people are actually against religion, opposed to just having no religion right?

DarkestRose
02-01-2007, 09:44 PM
I think the main point of atheism is simply believing that there is no God. They could be live-and-let-live about it or totally anti-religion. That'd be a varying thing.

There are also various agnostics. Some believe that the question of the existence or nonexistence of God is unknowable by nature and/or that human beings cannot judge the evidence.

Some believe the existence or nonexistence of God is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable, and should withhold judgment until/if more evidence is available.

Some think that there is no proof of either the existence or nonexistence of God, but that if God does exist, he is unconcerned for the universe and our welfare.

Some find no proof either way, but decide it doesn’t matter.

Similarly some say that the notion of God is meaningless because it has no defensible consequences.

Some think that philosophical and metaphysical questions cannot be proven, ergo they are assumptions.

Some believe in a god existing, but they don’t claim religious or spiritual beliefs. Just the idea that he’s out there…somewhere.

They really are just different degrees of skeptics.

newday_7
02-01-2007, 09:59 PM
Ah, I see. Well thank you a bunch for that. ^.^

Vuren
02-01-2007, 10:23 PM

Very true, having just converted from atheism one of the hardest things for me, was that...Christianity not bad...but...how i was treated by christians was. I never was talked to by a christian, i wsa just lectured told how i was a satanist(which actually did hurt more then any one knows due to my birthdate)But anyways, one of the reasons i did convert was because of the skillet concert iwent to last week, when john stood up there and preached about how, "jesus didn't tell the most despised person in the villiage how he was wrong or how he had sinned, he wanted to sit and eat dinner with him and talk" and that hit me because, starting at the age of 11 i was called a sinner and satanist because i played a game, by the time i hit highschool i was so remote from any christian and god for that matter that ever going to church was a bad idea. You have all these examples in the world with people using religion as a means of furthering thier pyschological imbalanced bigotted mind(ie fred phelps). While as an athiest wrong and right was something i did think about many many times. and honestly even when i did have brief wants to come back to christianity people didn't sit there listen to how i felt and why i left it was just..."Your going to hell, your a sinner...etc etc" But no i've made comments before on the panhead forums that i've met more atheists taht follow christianity then christians.

Tromos
02-02-2007, 04:43 AM
Very true, having just converted from atheism one of the hardest things for me, was that...Christianity not bad...but...how i was treated by christians was. I never was talked to by a christian, i wsa just lectured told how i was a satanist(which actually did hurt more then any one knows due to my birthdate)But anyways, one of the reasons i did convert was because of the skillet concert iwent to last week, when john stood up there and preached about how, "jesus didn't tell the most despised person in the villiage how he was wrong or how he had sinned, he wanted to sit and eat dinner with him and talk" and that hit me because, starting at the age of 11 i was called a sinner and satanist because i played a game, by the time i hit highschool i was so remote from any christian and god for that matter that ever going to church was a bad idea. You have all these examples in the world with people using religion as a means of furthering thier pyschological imbalanced bigotted mind(ie fred phelps). While as an athiest wrong and right was something i did think about many many times. and honestly even when i did have brief wants to come back to christianity people didn't sit there listen to how i felt and why i left it was just..."Your going to hell, your a sinner...etc etc" But no i've made comments before on the panhead forums that i've met more atheists taht follow christianity then christians.

While those that treated you in this fashion may debate my right to speak for them, I'm going to do so anyway.

On behalf of Christians everywhere, I'm sorry. As a recently-recovered Christian yourself, be aware of this common weakness - self-righteousness and a forgetfulness that Jesus taught all things through and with love not with bigotry, self-elevation (though He had every right), division, bitterness, or hatred.

Please forgive us all for the wrong that we caused you.

Vuren
02-02-2007, 11:49 PM
What is done is done, there is nothing that can change what has happened, and that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger.(also the only thing you can learn from the past is what mistakes were made and how to potenatially avoid them). And actually i was thinking of if i saw those people again thanking them for it, because of thier actions they may have stopped from making those same mistakes!

alienyouth9292
02-12-2007, 06:14 AM

what are you talking about when you say "your birthdate"????

skilletfreak101
02-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Very true, having just converted from atheism one of the hardest things for me, was that...Christianity not bad...but...how i was treated by christians was. I never was talked to by a christian, i wsa just lectured told how i was a satanist

see that's why I believe that the church these days in the complete dumps. we have no idea what we are doing...when we're lecturing athiests about how they're wrong, that's the very opposite of being "Christ-like." man, I'm sorry you were treated like crap as an athiest and that noone treated you with love like Jesus would have.

Quadripedman
02-12-2007, 03:29 PM
very, very true. unforutunately. if theyd just follow the Bible, instead of like bending, well frankly, their idea of God to be what they want it to be, everyone would be better off. and i know how you feel, i just (not so recently, this summer) converted to Christianity. its a great feeling :P