Bowlcutmonkey
02-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Im sorry if Im out of my territory but I really love this cd. And i would love to go see skillet in concert but i dont want to go to a christian festival because that would be the only band i would want to watch. I first heard skillet when their single savior played on our local rock station. Which surprised me when i found out that they were christian but when you stop and think about it it really isnt that surprising. But i would love if they just went on a normal tour playing in arenas w/ just one or two other bands not a huge festival. But then again where im from, Rockford, IL, we do have this event called Wing Ding where a bunch of bands come out and jam. Now its not christian but skillets music is good enough and isnt preaching the word of god so it wouldnt matter to these people. It would help get the word but not totally. Wing Ding has had bands play such as Nickelback, Hinder, Saliva, Tantric,etc... so the bands we have are very well known. So what im trying to say is that i wish skillet would do more of a rock tour then a christian tour.

timmyrotter
02-03-2007, 02:38 PM
they have a tour with flyleaf coming up, that will not likely be at 'christian' venues. the dates arent psoted yet, but they are shooting for march-april. so keep an eye out.

Crusader
02-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Also Skillet does preach, they talk about God at their concerts, and what is bad about that?

Crusader
02-03-2007, 03:53 PM
oh, and there are tons of other great christian bands like skillet

theelectric3
02-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Im sorry if Im out of my territory but I really love this cd. And i would love to go see skillet in concert but i dont want to go to a christian festival because that would be the only band i would want to watch. I first heard skillet when their single savior played on our local rock station. Which surprised me when i found out that they were christian but when you stop and think about it it really isnt that surprising. But i would love if they just went on a normal tour playing in arenas w/ just one or two other bands not a huge festival. But then again where im from, Rockford, IL, we do have this event called Wing Ding where a bunch of bands come out and jam. Now its not christian but skillets music is good enough and isnt preaching the word of god so it wouldnt matter to these people. It would help get the word but not totally. Wing Ding has had bands play such as Nickelback, Hinder, Saliva, Tantric,etc... so the bands we have are very well known. So what im trying to say is that i wish skillet would do more of a rock tour then a christian tour.

i second Timmy's statement, the flyleaf tour will not be at all christian venues (i'm sure) since flyleaf has a big mainstream following.

Skillet did tour with Saliva... so maybe '07 holds promise for more shows like that??

i agree that it would be awesome to see them in more mainstream venues.

terrasin
02-03-2007, 11:57 PM
The problem with the idea of Skillet going on their own tour again outside of Christian venues is that they aren't big enough to play arena shows on their own yet. There would just be too much money lost for both the venues and promoters.

CJ

timmyrotter
02-04-2007, 09:03 AM
but when they team up with flyleaf they should be able to sell out some relatively large venues. not arena's.

crusader no need to shove religion down anyones throat, if he doesnt want to go to a christian venue, he doesnt have to. i think im with him, at least you can actually mosh at secular venues.

Crusader
02-04-2007, 10:16 AM
I dont wanna shove religion down anyone's throat. It's just they are a Christian band so ya.

timmyrotter
02-04-2007, 10:21 AM
jesus didnt die for bands, there is no such thing as a christian band. they are a band with christian people, some other examples: Thrice, Daughtry, Carrie underwood, Switchfoot, As i Lay dying, Chevelle, Flyleaf. there a tons more, some arent as outspoken as others.... but i dont feel like explaining this anymore on this board.

Crusader
02-04-2007, 11:42 AM
ok, in my opinion they are a christian band because they have songs about God and the members are christian.

DarkestRose
02-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Isn't Christian music considered "Christian" because of the lyrics? So if the band has songs that are spiritually influenced in the way of Christianity and plays Christian venues, wouldn't they be considered a Christian band?

timmyrotter
02-04-2007, 03:54 PM
it really all comes down to perspectives... but my point is that people shouldnt be turned off the skillet because of thier beliefs. and that trying to scare people away by saying "skillet will preach" or whatever, doesnt help the band, or anyone. let them find out for themselves. people need to stop getting defensive about skillet when they are afraid they are gonna backslide spiritually or something. trust them that they are firm in who they are, and let them do their thing. and lay off the non-christian fans.

Tromos
02-05-2007, 05:54 AM
Isn't Christian music considered "Christian" because of the lyrics? So if the band has songs that are spiritually influenced in the way of Christianity and plays Christian venues, wouldn't they be considered a Christian band?

By this argument, The Doobie Brothers would be a Christian band ;D

(Sorry, just havin' fun :) )

DarkestRose
02-05-2007, 12:22 PM

(Sorry, just havin' fun :) )

Did they play Christian venues?

But anyway, my thoughts simply were that Christian music is known for its lyrics, versus in the secular market in which bands are known for their genre. If not, how would Third Day be considered a Christian band?

coldest_heart10
02-05-2007, 12:28 PM
but when they team up with flyleaf they should be able to sell out some relatively large venues. not arena's.

crusader no need to shove religion down anyones throat, if he doesnt want to go to a christian venue, he doesnt have to. i think im with him, at least you can actually mosh at secular venues.

yessssssssss..... but i actually went to skillets album release party (for collide) and they were w/ Jonah 33 (also a good christian band) and the mosh pit was INSANE!!!! some guy started puking b/c his face was bleeding and wouldnt stop

DarkestRose
02-05-2007, 12:32 PM
it really all comes down to perspectives... but my point is that people shouldnt be turned off the skillet because of thier beliefs. and that trying to scare people away by saying "skillet will preach" or whatever, doesnt help the band, or anyone. let them find out for themselves. people need to stop getting defensive about skillet when they are afraid they are gonna backslide spiritually or something. trust them that they are firm in who they are, and let them do their thing. and lay off the non-christian fans.

True. And I've been feeling great about how Skillet's mainstream cross-over has been going, and excited for their Skillet-Flyleaf tour. And I would defend them against anybody who would accuse them of backsliding or "selling out." I don't have a problem with non-Christian fans wanting to see them in a mainstream show. None of that is really my point.

Really, I wouldn't have listed on that "Skillet may preach," or whatever. I wasn't under the impression that they did during mainstream tours. So the poster who did that, I wasn't in total agreement with. I just found it odd that people began back-pedeling with questions like, "Well, what is a Christian band anyway?" I wondered why, when Skillet is suddenly called a Christian band, people have much hand-wringing about them being "a band of Christians" and so on. Before Collide, the idea of Skillet being a Christian band would have been total agreement. I just didn't see a need to distance the band from all that.

timmyrotter
02-05-2007, 12:45 PM
my problem is with people who use the term "christian band" when associated with cross-over bands. mostly when they are using a phrase like "but they are a christian band..." "why are they doing/playing this they are supposed to be a christian band..." my arguement goes beyond that of just music, but it becomes personal. for the fans who dont know they band, which is just about every one of us, of course with a few exceptions. Judging a band based on a venue they play at, or if they dont preach one night, or if they tour with a certain band, isnt fair, or morally right. we dont know them on a personal level, not our place to gossip about their spiritual life. we get what we see from their actions, and statments. anything beyond that is grey, and do not use it to judge.

DarkestRose
02-05-2007, 12:50 PM
They still sell their CDs at Christian bookstores and play at Christian festivals though. So I they aren't working on disassociating themselves from the Christian market. So I don't see why being called a Christian band is something to push away.

I really never cared if they preached at mainstream shows and thought Skillet handled it well. I don't really care who they tour with. I was excited for their tour with Saliva. I like that they play at secular venues.

If they had completely gone ahead to leave the Christian market and be solely in the mainstream, I would not call them a Christian band. But I think it's kinda lame to be trying to sell in the Christian market, but not wanting to be labeled a Christian band.

Bowlcutmonkey
02-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Sorry guys didnt mean to cause any controversy here. I just wanted to state that i think they should do a mainstream tour instead of these festivals that is on their tour list. the point wasnt the fact that they are christian cause it wouldnt matter. I like the songs so that's why i listen to them. I just didnt want to go to a festival and only pay to see skillet cause from what i saw that would be the only band i would want to see. I wish i woulda heard about the tour w/ saliva cause that would've been amazing. I appreciate the insight about the skillet/flyleaf tour i'll make sure to check it out. Thanks alot guys

DarkestRose
02-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Sorry guys didnt mean to cause any controversy here. I just wanted to state that i think they should do a mainstream tour instead of these festivals that is on their tour list. the point wasnt the fact that they are christian cause it wouldnt matter. I like the songs so that's why i listen to them. I just didnt want to go to a festival and only pay to see skillet cause from what i saw that would be the only band i would want to see. I wish i woulda heard about the tour w/ saliva cause that would've been amazing. I appreciate the insight about the skillet/flyleaf tour i'll make sure to check it out. Thanks alot guys

No. It's not you. I think it would be cool to see Skillet have a bigger mainstream outreach as well. I think they're Skillet/Saliva tour would have been awesome as well. And the Flyleaf/Skillet one'll probably be cool too.

And I see why you'd want to see them in a more mainstream event than a Christian festival, especially if they're the only band you'd want to see. I went to one of those while only wanting to see Skillet and it was okay. I had fun and looked at the little booths, but was kind of overwhelmed by never having one alone moment for three whole days.

If I were you, I'd definately hope for a chance to see Skillet with Flyleaf. I think that tour is gonna be in the spring.

timmyrotter
02-05-2007, 02:15 PM
jennifer, check out Skillet live, its been announced.

theelectric3
02-05-2007, 02:24 PM

np. hope Skillet/Flyleaf make it to your city. :)

(and no worries, you aren't the only panhead to feel that way about venues...)

DarkestRose
02-05-2007, 03:06 PM
jennifer, check out Skillet live, its been announced.

Cool. Thanks for posting.

Unregistered
02-05-2007, 03:41 PM
How does saying Skillet preaches at there shows hurt anything? Skillet played worship songs on the saliva tour, does saying that "scare off" non-christain listenters?

I'm not saying what the band should or shouldnt do, if Cooper thinks that he should "preach" a 20 minute sermonette at every show like he did up until the Collide tours, well great! If he thinks its best to say nothing at all during shows, well thats his choice too. I wont think the band is backsliding spiritually.

BUT, I dont think there is anything wrong with people discussing the fact that John has talked very openly about his faith, even at mainstreem shows, and that the band plays worhship songs alot. If that "scares people away" well then I'm ready to scare alot of people.

st1_Lord
02-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Yeah I went to a one day festival thing to see Skillet... paid $45 and Skillet and Spoken were the only shows I watched... kinda sucks, but it was worth it if you ask me. Skillet's shows are so much more fun then most other bands.

vothra13
02-07-2007, 06:27 AM

(Sorry, just havin' fun :) )nah, the doobie brothers had a totally mediocre idea of God. "Jesus is just alright?" yea. if this were the case theyd be saying "Jesus Is Freakin awesome!!"

Quadripedman
02-08-2007, 05:56 PM
very interesting...skillet should do a tour with TFK, switchfoot, and relient k. that would be really awesome. id pay a lot to see them...but thats becide the point; there are a whole lot of other Christian bands that sound like skillet, i.e. sf, relient k, TFK, etc, and they would defenately attract a mainstream audiance. i know more than a few non christians who really like switchfoot, and TFK is played a lot on our local hard rock radio station.

neb0789
02-12-2007, 07:36 PM

I haven't been to a christian rock concert where there hasn't been a mosh pit. At the last Skillet concert I was at, some guy got trampled... but he did end up being alright, but he did get knocked out.

timmyrotter
02-12-2007, 07:53 PM
I haven't been to a christian rock concert where there hasn't been a mosh pit. At the last Skillet concert I was at, some guy got trampled... but he did end up being alright, but he did get knocked out.

a typical christian's definition of a mosh pit and that of someone who goes to many non-christian venues are very different. i am a concert going fiend, and have never been to a concert at a church where you have been allowed to mosh, most you cant even jump (which in and of itself is not moshing). creations fest you arent allowed to mosh, only jumping straight up and down. the only ones ive been to that allow anything are so called non-christian venues that many indie bands go to.

st1_Lord
02-13-2007, 08:43 AM
There's at least two Christian venues in my area that allow moshing and hardcore dancing, the whole deal. But then, that isn't a Christian festival... and that is true of most Christian festivals.