Haloer2006
02-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Ok, I go to a school which is Christian. Catholic to be specific and and no you don't have to be Catholic to go there. And i'm not.. So today i was thinking, these people who say there Catholic but they go home and do things that are aginst what a real Catholic should do. There is one girl, im sorry to say is a slut.. and she says she's Catholic, but is she really? She is more than a slut, and she keeps on talking about her values? But how can she say things like that but be something else? And i see it in so many Girls and guys @ my school..

If your going to be a Christian then be one and don't act in a way God wouldn't want you to..

skynes
02-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Covered right here by me (http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=12701444&blogID=200476950&Mytoken=2B073B96-CCD0-494A-9B40B15E9574990D8746654)

Haloer2006
02-06-2007, 12:20 PM
yeah i guess that really explains it.. wonder what other people will say?

But yeah i agree w/ that..

kittygirl
02-06-2007, 01:23 PM
There is a big difference between being born Catholic, and being born again. Alot of people think that because they went to, or currently go to church, that makes them a Christian.

Not so.
And about this topic, it's been on my mind lately with even alot of kids I know.

It is between God and the individual to know whether or not you're really saved, but it does day in the bible to "judge by their fruits," to "beware of false Christians," etc.

And if someone is blantantly going against the bible, and yet calls themselves a Christian, and has NO desire to get closer to God at all, I would say that they weren't a Christian...

skynes
02-06-2007, 01:40 PM
"You cannot have an encounter with the living God and come away unchanged" - Paul Washer

Haloer2006
02-06-2007, 02:19 PM
"You cannot have an encounter with the living God and come away unchanged" - Paul Washer

These people just po me off, i know i shouldn't be.. but no one not even in my youth group is on fire, they call them selves Christians, but they don't do anything. They don't really care about others, and they just try to get what THEY want.
They try to show there boddies off, and they just try to ware clothes that make me a Guy feel kinda weird. And idk..

kittygirl
02-06-2007, 02:25 PM
you know what...
I don't think alot of people have had ANY enounters with God. They warp you.

aliengurl7
02-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Ok, I go to a school which is Christian. Catholic to be specific and and no you don't have to be Catholic to go there. And i'm not.. So today i was thinking, these people who say there Catholic but they go home and do things that are aginst what a real Catholic should do. There is one girl, im sorry to say is a slut.. and she says she's Catholic, but is she really? She is more than a slut, and she keeps on talking about her values? But how can she say things like that but be something else? And i see it in so many Girls and guys @ my school..

If your going to be a Christian then be one and don't act in a way God wouldn't want you to..
First of all, how do you know she is a slut?
Don't worry about other people and their walk with God, worry about your own. Let God be the judge if they are a true believer or not.. Christ taught us to love other people not to condemn them.

Haloer2006
02-06-2007, 04:44 PM
First of all, how do you know she is a slut?
Don't worry about other people and their walk with God, worry about your own. Let God be the judge if they are a true believer or not.. Christ taught us to love other people not to condemn them.
How do i know? She's done things that i wont say here.. if you want me to PM you then i will, though i really dont like gossip..

And i know i shouldn't judge other people and there relationship w/ God..

but in the way she acts, thats where i get it i guess.. and my g/f even called her a slut, and my g/f doesn't usually say anything bad.. she doesn't even swear.. so it's not only from a guy point of view..

aliengurl7
02-06-2007, 04:53 PM
How do i know? She's done things that i wont say here.. if you want me to PM you then i will, though i really dont like gossip..

And i know i shouldn't judge other people and there relationship w/ God..

but in the way she acts, thats where i get it i guess.. and my g/f even called her a slut, and my g/f doesn't usually say anything bad.. she doesn't even swear.. so it's not only from a guy point of view..

Do you know first hand that she is a slut? If you don't then all it is, is hear-say. Leave her alone.

Haloer2006
02-06-2007, 06:06 PM
No its not hear say.. check your PM's and then.. you might think differently..

aliengurl7
02-06-2007, 06:24 PM
I don't think differently about her but I do see your point now.

skynes
02-07-2007, 02:57 AM

Christ also taught that we'll know them by their fruits. that good trees cannot bear badfruit and bad trees cannot bear good fruit.

Paul taught (1 Corinthians) that it is the responsibility of the church to judge those within the church. He commanded that one person living in sin was to be kicked OUT of the church until he had repented.

The New Testament teaches to be on the lookout for false prophets, false teachers and wolves in sheeps clothing.

James 2 teaches that anyone who says they have Faith with no works to prove it has dead faith.

1 John 1 teaches that if anyone claims to follow Christ, yet walks in darkness, they are a liar.

1 John 2 teaches that if anyone claims to love Christ, but doesn't keep His commandments, is a liar.

I'm sorry Aliengurl, but scripture says differently to what you do.

------------

Andriy what you need to ask yourself is, what are you going to do about all these people? These people may not be saved, you are there among them and know this. What do you do?

I'll tell you, you give them the Gospel. Preach the Gospel and live the Gospel.

For your reference Catholics teach that if you are baptised into their church and go to mass every week you are saved. So this girl probably goes to mass every week and considers herself saved.

asparagus
02-07-2007, 04:39 AM
<snip>So today i was thinking, these people who say there Catholic but they go home and do things that are aginst what a real Catholic should do. There is one girl, im sorry to say is a slut.. and she says she's Catholic, but is she really? She is more than a slut, and she keeps on talking about her values? But how can she say things like that but be something else? And i see it in so many Girls and guys @ my school..1. Just as an observation, it really is interesting how much easier it is for girls to get the lable "slut" than it is for guys. I mean, it takes two, which means "sluts" should come in pairs, but instead the term is only thrown onto the female half.

2. All Christians are flamboyant hypocrites. Just some of us have become better at hiding it (from others and from ourselves).

3. The term "slut" is a pretty damaging term, and it's damage often takes a while to fully manifest itself. When I was in high school, there was a girl that had only had one sexual encounter, but it was widely publicized by the students. Even though it was only one encounter, she quickly earned the title "slut" and after enough repetition of this lie, she eventually gave in and began to believe it was true.

We should be very cautious of the terms we use to describe people. Words have very strong power, and many descriptions we give people can turn into self-fullfilling prophesies.

-Alex

asparagus
02-07-2007, 05:21 AM
Scott,
Thanks for your input, but I wanted to discuss some of these in a little more complexity. Please note, I'm not exactly disagreeing with you, but rather bringing some complexity to an issue that really isn't always black and white.Christ also taught that we'll know them by their fruits. that good trees cannot bear badfruit and bad trees cannot bear good fruit.The first time we see this idea in the NT is in Matthew 3 when John the Baptist says "8Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. 9And do not think you can say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham. 10The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire." In this instance, it is a statement directed towards the most religious, not the least religious. Indeed, in the subsequent instances when I recall something likewise being said, it is not being directed at the "sluts" or "sinners", but instead it is directed at the most religious (i.e. those that "travel over land and sea" to win converts.)

I, of course, have neglected to address your other verses, which are all very helpful and accurate. But again, there is complexity to this issue, and complexity to the situations that you cite.

I'm sorry Aliengurl, but scripture says differently to what you do....easy now...
What Aliengurl says IS correct. In a sense, I agree with both you AND her. The first thing she suggests is that we focus on the plank in our own eye, before we deal with the speck in someone else's eye. The second thing she suggests is that we leave the judging of whether or not someone is a Christian up to God, which is good, because God is THE judge. Sure, we are called to do some judging, but mostly this is more along the lines accountability and, in the case of 1 Corinthians, kicking people out of the church who refuse to repent, in the hope that they will repent and return. The third thing she suggests is that Christ taught us to love, not condemn, which is also true.

Anyway, thanks. Not disagreeing with anything you said (because what you said IS true!), just bringing about a little more complexity to a truly complex issue.

The line between judging and accoutability is a tough one!

Alex :-)

skynes
02-07-2007, 08:09 AM
The first time we see this idea in the NT is in Matthew 3 when John the Baptist says "8Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. 9And do not think you can say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham. 10The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire." In this instance, it is a statement directed towards the most religious, not the least religious. Indeed, in the subsequent instances when I recall something likewise being said, it is not being directed at the "sluts" or "sinners", but instead it is directed at the most religious (i.e. those that "travel over land and sea" to win converts.)

I wasn't referring to John the Baptist, but what Jesus said in Matthew 7 which was given as a comparisson between believers and unbelievers.

...easy now...

That was me being easy. Lol.

What Aliengurl says IS correct. In a sense, I agree with both you AND her. The first thing she suggests is that we focus on the plank in our own eye, before we deal with the speck in someone else's eye. The second thing she suggests is that we leave the judging of whether or not someone is a Christian up to God, which is good, because God is THE judge. Sure, we are called to do some judging, but mostly this is more along the lines accountability and, in the case of 1 Corinthians, kicking people out of the church who refuse to repent, in the hope that they will repent and return. The third thing she suggests is that Christ taught us to love, not condemn, which is also true.

Maybe this comes down to perception, but how I read...

"Don't worry about other people and their walk with God, worry about your own. Let God be the judge if they are a true believer or not.. Christ taught us to love other people not to condemn them."

...was promoting a stance of non-interference. Do not interfere with their life for it is none of your business. Do not be concerned for their salvation, that is God's job, you have no place to say who is and is not a Christian.

What I showed with scripture was that this stance is not biblical.

I suppose we just have to wait for Aliengurl to return and explain :P

asparagus
02-07-2007, 08:33 AM
:-)

Tromos
02-07-2007, 10:15 AM
For your reference Catholics teach that if you are baptised into their church and go to mass every week you are saved. So this girl probably goes to mass every week and considers herself saved.

*shock*

Did you really say that?

I'm stunned. I had no idea you were that misinformed of the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. In all respect, Scottie, you couldn't be more wrong.

skynes
02-07-2007, 10:32 AM
*shock*

Did you really say that?

I'm stunned. I had no idea you were that misinformed of the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. In all respect, Scottie, you couldn't be more wrong.

I got that from 2 Catholics. One of which is a very serious Catholic. So yeah I did just say that.

riz
02-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Two Catholics, out of ... how many?

skynes
02-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Two Catholics, out of ... how many?

your point is?

asparagus
02-07-2007, 02:29 PM
wiki anyone...

aliengurl7
02-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Asparagus has it right. That's what I was saying.

Tromos
02-07-2007, 04:42 PM
I got that from 2 Catholics. One of which is a very serious Catholic. So yeah I did just say that.

Wow. Just one more pointer to how pathetically the average Catholic understands his or her own official doctrine.

The Roman Catholic Church has got to be the most rigid denomination on hell out there. If you commit one of the sins on their "mortal sin" list and don't confess it to a priest, you go to hell. Period.

I'd take that back to your Catholic informants. "So as long as I got sprinkled as an infant and show up every Sunday for Mass, I can kill and rape and steal all I want without ever going to confession and I'll still go to heaven?"

I'm guessing they'll revise their statement at that point.

skynes
02-07-2007, 09:47 PM
I'd take that back to your Catholic informants. "So as long as I got sprinkled as an infant and show up every Sunday for Mass, I can kill and rape and steal all I want without ever going to confession and I'll still go to heaven?"

Allow me to rephrase:

As long as I got confirmed, go to mass and go to confession, I'll still go to heaven.

Forgetting the confession bit was my fault, not theirs.

Neither of these guys agree with the idea of doing what you want, confess and you're fine. But thats what the letter of the law says.

Asparagus has it right. That's what I was saying.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Tromos
02-08-2007, 06:03 AM
Allow me to rephrase:

As long as I got confirmed, go to mass and go to confession, I'll still go to heaven.

Forgetting the confession bit was my fault, not theirs.

Neither of these guys agree with the idea of doing what you want, confess and you're fine. But thats what the letter of the law says.

Fair enough. Ask any Catholic priest, though, and I guarantee he will let you know that if your confession does not come with a true spirit of repentance, then you are not, in fact, forgiven. The Roman Catholic Church is at the forefront of the "saved every day" perspective on Christianity (as opposed to the "once saved always saved" philosophy).

Haloer2006
02-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Catholics are very um, flamboyant! Ok, first of we all know as Christians that we are not supposed to Idolize any thing or any one? Right? Well, whats the feast of the immaculate conception? Its talking about Mary being born w/ out sin! It talks about how we should not only look at Jesus but at Mary too.. (whats idolizing again?) I'm sorry but during that day @ school, since I'm REQUIRED to go to mass on days like that.. I just thought it was wrong.. They tell us not to Idolize Mary and then 5 seconds later hes preaching about how great Mary was and how we should ll try to be like her and how wonderful she is and no only look at Jesus but at Mary! This is just WRONG!

Tromos
02-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Is it?

Is it wrong to say "Mary was an excellent example of Godly womanhood. She's a good example for your life."?

Did they say "Worship Mary because your salvation depends on it!"? I doubt it. Even in Catholicism (at least the official doctrine coming from Rome), Mary is a role model not an idol.

Now that's not to say that many Catholics haven't taken it too far...

asparagus
02-08-2007, 12:04 PM
And now we're just bashing Catholics, as if all billion of them are all the same...

...(they aren't)

Sometimes, on these forums, we appear to have an elitism about us, making us sound so smart, while putting down any group that disagrees with us (Catholics, athiests, etc.).

It's really important that we recognize that people who believe differently than us don't do so because they're stupider than us, but do so for genuine reasons.

I thought catholicism was stupid too until I tried to understand why they thought the way they thought. I went to Catholic youth retreats, attended a local parish, and listened to the diverse positions that parishioners and priests held. I came to discover that there were Catholics that were very serious about their relationship with God, they were very intelligent and thoughtful, and that THEY had stuff to teach ME (a protestant!) about MY relationship with God. Imagine that!

And while I was there, no, we did not build a gold statue of Mary to worship.

Haloer2006
02-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Hum i guess they took it over the edge and way over to the other side..

But it was just weird telling me to go and believe this..
I never said all Catholics.. My best-friend is Catholic and we never argue..

skynes
02-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Fair enough. Ask any Catholic priest, though, and I guarantee he will let you know that if your confession does not come with a true spirit of repentance, then you are not, in fact, forgiven. The Roman Catholic Church is at the forefront of the "saved every day" perspective on Christianity (as opposed to the "once saved always saved" philosophy).

I don't know any Priests so I can't confirm that, but from what I know of (Irish) Catholicism, as long as you go to mass and go to confession you're alright. I will go and investigate this more (time to go download the Catechism!)

Works and fruits? Naaaah I just go to Mass and I'm ok

Haloer2006
02-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Well Catacisum of the Catholic Church should have something on this.. so ill look in there..

riz
02-08-2007, 03:00 PM
And now we're just bashing Catholics, as if all billion of them are all the same...

...(they aren't)

This is what I was getting at with my "Two Catholics..." statement. There are *a lot* of people who claim to be Catholic. A few friends of mine are Catholic, and they don't agree with what has been said about the two Catholics and the 'go-to-Mass-and-you're-saved' mantra. Oddly enough, there are other people of other denominations who have the same mindset ("If I go to church, I'm saved"). It isn't exclusive to Catholicism. Just as it isn't exclusive to other sects of Christianity (Lutheran, Presbyterian, Episcopalian, etc.) out there.

Haloer2006
02-08-2007, 03:03 PM
I don't go to Church that much, and thats because no one @ my Church is on Fire! They are all old people who like hyms.. I would rather have Chrstian Rock playing.. and well My rev. is really cool.. He cracks jokes during surmens.. but the people are just boring! I would go all the time if it was more fun!

skynes
02-08-2007, 03:10 PM
This is what I was getting at with my "Two Catholics..." statement. There are *a lot* of people who claim to be Catholic. A few friends of mine are Catholic, and they don't agree with what has been said about the two Catholics and the 'go-to-Mass-and-you're-saved' mantra. Oddly enough, there are other people of other denominations who have the same mindset ("If I go to church, I'm saved"). It isn't exclusive to Catholicism. Just as it isn't exclusive to other sects of Christianity (Lutheran, Presbyterian, Episcopalian, etc.) out there.

Maybe its mostly a N Irish thing then...

riz
02-08-2007, 03:12 PM
I do know other people with the mindset you described; it just didn't seem quite fair to state that that's how Catholicism is all the time, everywhere, for everyone.

Haloer2006
02-08-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm not! I'm just stating thats how it is at a Catholic School teaching Catholic Doctorin! Im not sure how it is any where else! Thats how it is there, but i dont know about everywhere else!

Also officaly the Catholics support Evolution

skynes
02-08-2007, 03:22 PM
I do know other people with the mindset you described; it just didn't seem quite fair to state that that's how Catholicism is all the time, everywhere, for everyone.

I didn't intend it to mean this is 100% what every single one of them believe. But I know where I'm situated the majority of Catholics follow that. Those 2 guys I know are OPPOSED to that thinking, they don't buy it. It's just what is popularly believed by Catholics here.

In hindsight, my wording was incredibly sloppy. *checks time* ... midnight... Lol, I would say ok no more midnight posts, but it's 12:20am now, so that doesnt work.

I'll try and rephrase here:

Although not a global truth, where I am in Ireland, it's popularly believed among Catholics that as long as you go to mass, go to confession and are confirmed in the Catholic church, you are saved. I cannot state what the official stance of the Catholic church is on this, because I don't know enough about them. But this is what I have gathered.

Is this better?

Haloer2006
02-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Well, when a Catholic School is teaching it then well i would say its there Core Doctorin wouldint you?

unshakeable15
02-08-2007, 06:44 PM
I don't go to Church that much, and thats because no one @ my Church is on Fire! They are all old people who like hyms.. I would rather have Chrstian Rock playing.. and well My rev. is really cool.. He cracks jokes during surmens.. but the people are just boring! I would go all the time if it was more fun!
So church is about having fun? Since when?

i don't always enjoy church. In fact, of the three parts of church i go to (main service, small group type deal, jr. high as a volunteer), i enjoy the main service the least.

But i know it's important to my soul to attend and be a part of the body of Christ. If i do not agree with or like (not in the enjoyment sense) what i see and experience in the church, the correct plan of action is not to leave or only come once in a while. The correct plan of action is to stay and become involved and be the change i want to see in other people.

Tromos
02-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Also officaly the Catholics support Evolution

Ummmm....no.

The Catholic Position

What is the Catholic position concerning belief or unbelief in evolution? The question may never be finally settled, but there are definite parameters to what is acceptable Catholic belief.

Concerning cosmological evolution, the Church has infallibly defined that the universe was specially created out of nothing. Vatican I solemnly defined that everyone must "confess the world and all things which are contained in it, both spiritual and material, as regards their whole substance, have been produced by God from nothing".

The Church does not have an official position on whether the stars, nebulae, and planets we see today were created at that time or whether they developed over time (for example, in the aftermath of the Big Bang that modern cosmologists discuss). However, the Church would maintain that, if the stars and planets did develop over time, this still ultimately must be attributed to God and his plan, for Scripture records: "By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, and all their host [stars, nebulae, planets] by the breath of his mouth".

Concerning biological evolution, the Church does not have an official position on whether various life forms developed over the course of time. However, it says that, if they did develop, then they did so under the impetus and guidance of God, and their ultimate creation must be ascribed to him.

Concerning human evolution, the Church has a more definite teaching. It allows for the possibility that manís body developed from previous biological forms, under Godís guidance, but it insists on the special creation of his soul. Pope Pius XII declared that "the teaching authority of the Church does not forbid that, in conformity with the present state of human sciences and sacred theology, research and discussions . . . take place with regard to the doctrine of evolution, in as far as it inquires into the origin of the human body as coming from pre-existent and living matteró the Catholic faith obliges us to hold that souls are immediately created by God" . So whether the human body was specially created or developed, we are required to hold as a matter of Catholic faith that the human soul is specially created; it did not evolve, and it is not inherited from our parents, as our bodies are.

[B]While the Church permits belief in either special creation or developmental creation on certain questions, it in no circumstances permits belief in atheistic evolution.

I get the feeling that what they are saying and what you are hearing are very different things.

Although not a global truth, where I am in Ireland, it's popularly believed among Catholics that as long as you go to mass, go to confession and are confirmed in the Catholic church, you are saved. I cannot state what the official stance of the Catholic church is on this, because I don't know enough about them. But this is what I have gathered.

Is this better?

Much, thank you. :)

Well, when a Catholic School is teaching it then well i would say its there Core Doctorin wouldint you?

While that may seem logical, I wouldn't make that assumption until you have seen it in print in an official publication on Catholic doctrine. Your instructors may have their own agenda.

I have to side with Mike on this one. The world would love to convince you that the worth of something is based on its entertainment value. Most churches that agree with that sentiment are hokey pretenders preaching bad theology.

It sounds like your reverend is a competent shepherd. Maybe you could suggest more youth-related activities or a youth service.

Haloer2006
02-09-2007, 02:27 AM
Thats what I was thinking about Youth service. And so no one even looked to see that i said
No one is on fire!

So whats the point of going if no one really believes.. I'm trying to find another Church to go to thats close enough to go every week..

skynes
02-09-2007, 05:18 AM
Thats what I was thinking about Youth service. And so no one even looked to see that i said

So whats the point of going if no one really believes.. I'm trying to find another Church to go to thats close enough to go every week..

What do you mean by on fire? Could you scripturally support your definition?

What do you mean by no one believes? Do these people having a loving attitude to each other? Do they preach the Gospel? Do they pray for one another? Do they help one another? Do they study the scriptures and care for what God says in them?

Quadripedman
02-09-2007, 01:41 PM
I have to side with Mike on this one. The world would love to convince you that the worth of something is based on its entertainment value. Most churches that agree with that sentiment are hokey pretenders preaching bad theology.

It sounds like your reverend is a competent shepherd. Maybe you could suggest more youth-related activities or a youth service.

i disagree. some, not most are pretenders. the church i used to go to (long story, dont wanna type it cause my hands are numb:-\ ) had on wensday nights the wwe (wensday worship experiment) and it had loud music, skits, games, and a sermon. most people came to it because it sounded like fun, me included, and it is part of the reason that i was saved. so just saying, that most is a pretty harsh word in that matter.

kittygirl
02-09-2007, 03:08 PM

what kind of church do you go to, if you don't mind me asking...
the purpose of going to church is to draw closer to God, to worship and learn more about Him, and to meet with other believers who love God, and believe the bible.

Haloer2006
02-11-2007, 03:07 AM
I go to a Protastant Church, and I thought every one knew what "on-fire" meant!
On Fire - Switchfoot
Tell you where you need to go
Tell you who you need to be
Tell you what you need to know
Tell you when you’ll need to leave

But everything inside you knows
Says more than what you’ve heard
So much more than empty conversations
Filled with empty words

Chorus:

And you’re on fire
When he’s near you
You’re on fire
When he speaks
You’re on fire
Burning at these mysteries

Give me one more time around
Give me one more chance to see
Give me everything you are
Give me one more chance to be... (near you)

Cause everything inside looks like
Everything I hate
You are the hope I have for change
You are the only chance I’ll take

Chorus:
When I’m on fire
When you’re near me
I’m on fire
When you speak
And I’m on fire
Burning at these mysteries
These mysteries...

I’m standing on the edge of me (x3)
I’m standing on the edge

Chorus:

And I’m on fire
When you’re near you
I’m on fire
When you speak
(yea) I’m on fire
Burning at these mysteries...
Talking about God, and you love him! You are On Fire w/ you faith!

And all the people at my Church are no fun to be w/ @ Church! And i believe that to be w/ God and to have faith is a want! Not a have to! To really believe you have to WANT to believe! So if i just go to Church to go to Church, then whats the point? I WANT to go to a church that is fun, and people are "On Fire"

skynes
02-11-2007, 05:47 AM
I ask what 'on-fire' is, not because I don't know, but because the common idea of what it means is completely unbiblical.

And all the people at my Church are no fun to be w/ @ Church! And i believe that to be w/ God and to have faith is a want! Not a have to! To really believe you have to WANT to believe! So if i just go to Church to go to Church, then whats the point? I WANT to go to a church that is fun, and people are "On Fire"

You never answered my questions.

Do they preach the Gospel? Do they pray for one another? Do they study the Bible? Do they care for God's Word says?

Tromos
02-12-2007, 07:20 PM
i disagree. some, not most are pretenders. the church i used to go to (long story, dont wanna type it cause my hands are numb:-\ ) had on wensday nights the wwe (wensday worship experiment) and it had loud music, skits, games, and a sermon. most people came to it because it sounded like fun, me included, and it is part of the reason that i was saved. so just saying, that most is a pretty harsh word in that matter.

Please re-read my original post. I didn't say that churches shouldn't be entertaining. I said that most churches that believe that the worth of something is based on its entertainment value are hokey.

I'm all for churches that recognize that you must exercise diversity in preaching and ministering to reach a diverse group of people. But those that think that if you aren't having a party then you aren't worshipping are also likely the ones teaching you that being a Christian will make you wealthy and successful and entitled to the high life here on Earth. And that's bad theology.

Haloer2006
02-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Yeah, i still go to Church.. But im saying I would rather be listing to music that i like and things like that.. but i still go..

DarkestRose
02-16-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm all for churches that recognize that you must exercise diversity in preaching and ministering to reach a diverse group of people. But those that think that if you aren't having a party then you aren't worshipping are also likely the ones teaching you that being a Christian will make you wealthy and successful and entitled to the high life here on Earth. And that's bad theology.

I agree. I think that worship has a lot to do with the heart. We're coming before God to revere Him, love Him and fill our desire for Him. One can do that at an organ-and-hymnal-only church as well as a more contemporary church with a band. Worship is more about coming before God than feeling like you're at a rock concert.

And I wonder what the definition of "on fire" the original poster uses. Because it's open for interpretion the way its been used. Are we talking about "on-fire" meaning people who are passionate for God and have a desire to reach out to others, read the Bible, pray, worship, evangelize, serve, etc., who take their faith seriously? Because "fun to be with" is vague.

Haloer2006
02-17-2007, 03:14 AM
Are we talking about "on-fire" meaning people who are passionate for God and have a desire to reach out to others, read the Bible, pray, worship, evangelize, serve, etc., who take their faith seriously?

Yes, thats what i meant.. I'm not saying that I wouldn't go to Church if it was just what my church is now, i've been going for the past 8 years.. Mostly on my own accord, not my parents asking me to go. And I like going, it's fun and all, but my rev doesn't really connect with a lot of kids my age. And i can't really go up to him and ask him question about stuff that I would ask a Guidance Councler that would be 25-35, and they could talk to me better.. And a Youth minister would understand kids a lot more, so he would connect more.

DarkestRose
02-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Yes, thats what i meant.. I'm not saying that I wouldn't go to Church if it was just what my church is now, i've been going for the past 8 years.. Mostly on my own accord, not my parents asking me to go. And I like going, it's fun and all, but my rev doesn't really connect with a lot of kids my age. And i can't really go up to him and ask him question about stuff that I would ask a Guidance Councler that would be 25-35, and they could talk to me better.. And a Youth minister would understand kids a lot more, so he would connect more.

Ah, I can see that. It can be frustrating to not have anybody to relate on the level you're looking for.

anti-fluff08
02-17-2007, 02:03 PM
I definitely know what that is like. It took us like ten years to find a church in our area where the word of God was what was most important. The the church we found was 30 minutes away! In America the church has turned into something people do one or two days a week to make themselves feel better after a week where they act no different than the world. They feel little guilt at church though, because many preachers only preach what they want to hear or nothing much at all (kinda the same thing).

2 Timothy 4 3-4
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead to suit their own desires they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

On the topic of people claiming to be a christian bu not showing good fruit, well they probably aren't. Words never got anyone to Heaven. I know tons of people like this. So what should you do? Proclaim God through your actions and your words! If you know them well enough, ask them, "Why are you doing things like this? You are a Christian, right?" While you should be concerned about the plank in your eye, if they are more than likely not a Christian than this is [B]witnessing. They are on a path to Hell and sitting and not saying anything won't help. There will always be a plank in our eye, but does that mean we cannot witness? No, but we need to realize our own faults too.

kittygirl
02-18-2007, 02:16 PM
I go to a Protastant Church, and I thought every one knew what "on-fire" meant!
On Fire - Switchfoot

Talking about God, and you love him! You are On Fire w/ you faith!

Uh yes, Protastants....
Had some interesting experiences with them.
The kind of church I go to would probably scare some of the people there. I go to a Pentacostal, Spirit filled church, and it is amazing. Everyone hugs on each other, no cliques, adults talk to kids, no deacons (although there are leaders other than the main pastor), etc. And it's not the most high-tech church, but the people are my favorite thing there.

skynes
02-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Uh yes, Protastants....
The kind of church I go to would probably scare some of the people there. I go to a Pentacostal, Spirit filled church, and it is amazing. Everyone hugs on each other, no cliques, adults talk to kids, no deacons (although there are leaders other than the main pastor), etc. And it's not the most high-tech church, but the people are my favorite thing there.

So you go to a Protestant church then?

How's the teaching and praying there?

NightCrawler
02-20-2007, 06:41 AM
Uh yes, Protastants....
Sounds like an NF (http://www.keirsey.com/personality/nf.html) paradise.

If it's spirit filled, why aren't there deacons (an early church sanctioned and commanded office)? I'm sure the other offices might fill for some deacons' duties, but why not just call them deacons or have them BE deacons? ... and hugs are cool.

bubblesemm
02-24-2007, 07:47 AM
yea,i agree.people should live what they say they are.that is all that i was trying to say in my "Christians?" thread from a few months ago.