unshakeable15
02-15-2007, 12:02 PM
So there's an idea i floated by some folks in the Skillet Live board (waynehavens suggested it in humor, but i took him seriously, so if he wants credit for the idea, he can have it).

And Tromos thinks it's worth a shot, so that's good enough for me. :)

Basically, we can continue doing the sarcasm tags...

<sarcasm>

i really love okra.

</sarcasm>

...but since the tags tend to get cumbersome, we can try out a font specifically for sarcasm. What do y'all think?

Here are the options for fonts.

i really love okra. Arial
i really love okra. Arial Black
i really love okra. Arial Narrow
i really love okra. Book Antiqua
i really love okra. Century Gothic
i really love okra. Comic Sans MS
i really love okra. Courier New
i really love okra. Fixedsys
i really love okra. Franklin Gothic Medium
i really love okra. Garamond
i really love okra. Georgia
i really love okra. Impact
i really love okra. Lucida Console
i really love okra. Lucida Sans Unicode
i really love okra. Microsoft Sans Serif
i really love okra. Palatino Linotype
i really love okra. System
i really love okra. Tahoma
i really love okra. Times New Roman
i really love okra. Trebuchet MS
i really love okra. Verdana

(nothing personal against okra. it was the first vegetable that came to mind.)

the rocker
02-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Not a bad idea. I vote Garamond.

Tromos
02-15-2007, 12:35 PM
I vote Impact since it seems to stand out more than most.

DarkestRose
02-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Impact seems the most sarcastic.

forceflow17
02-15-2007, 02:17 PM
impact

timmyrotter
02-15-2007, 02:48 PM
half the fun of sarcasm on the boards is confusing people( especially newbies)... i vote for no sarcasm fonts.

pizza brain
02-15-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm with timmy

DarkestRose
02-15-2007, 04:16 PM
half the fun of sarcasm on the boards is confusing people( especially newbies)... i vote for no sarcasm fonts.

That is a good point. Few things are more fun. Also, I usually just quick post and don't really want to go out of my way to load the advanced posting page just to add a line of sarcasm. Maybe the font would be okay for people who want their sarcasm to be noted, but just not mandatory for sarcasm? Unless that's too complex and confusing.

I Bite
02-16-2007, 03:14 PM
I'm with timmy

Me too

Bassplayer
02-16-2007, 03:43 PM
yeah, not mandentory. but i like either impact or Palatino Linotype

Shattered_Life
02-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Impact or nothing...I also like confusing people.

Since I always use sarcasm.

</sarcasm>

as~i~lay~dying
02-16-2007, 08:23 PM
I vote NO sarcasm font.

dawn of light
02-16-2007, 09:53 PM
I think a "sarcasm font" will just add confusion. Half the people aren't going to know about it and so won't use. Half the people who know about it won't use it because they don't want to. So 3/4 of panheads are going to be misunderstood for being serious when they are actually being sarcastic. When 1/4 of panheads are being sarcastic and thus using the "sarcasm font" only 1/2 the panheads reading it will understand it. The other half will think they are yelling or REALLY trying to get their point across because of the large bold letters.

But hey, it doesn't really matter to me!

alorian
02-16-2007, 10:00 PM
NO sarcasm font.

unshakeable15
02-17-2007, 08:53 PM
I think a "sarcasm font" will just add confusion. Half the people aren't going to know about it and so won't use. Half the people who know about it won't use it because they don't want to. So 3/4 of panheads are going to be misunderstood for being serious when they are actually being sarcastic. When 1/4 of panheads are being sarcastic and thus using the "sarcasm font" only 1/2 the panheads reading it will understand it. The other half will think they are yelling or REALLY trying to get their point across because of the large bold letters.

But hey, it doesn't really matter to me!
Good point.

But then again, when half the time nobody makes any changes to their text for sarcasm (no sarcasm tag or italics or the like), i don't think it would be much different. And who knows, it just might catch on.

But to address another thought, it would by no means be mandatory. For those of you voting "no font" you don't need to use it. However, you then forfeit all rights to complain when someone's sarcastic remark goes over your head because you thought they were being serious because they didn't not note the sarcasm. This font idea would just be a handy way for some to use the little-used font feature to make life a tad bit easier (not by much, granted, but a bit).

alorian
02-17-2007, 09:06 PM
A thought: just because a font becomes a designated tone doesn't mean everyone will know this, or catch on. Someone may use it and the meaning will still be completely lost, so what's the point? Some people switch to verdana or something else just for the fun of it *shrugs* I think the [/sarcasm] works great as is.