BondageDuck
03-13-2007, 02:41 PM
One of my best friends is dating a guy who was raised "Christian." However, because of his mom, he now says that he's not even sure if he believes in God. His mom is somewhat crazy (I believe she's had treatment of some sort before)...when he was like 4, she would beat him because he "sinned" & then say that he'd better ask Jesus to forgive him or he'd go to Hell, but she would never even tell him what he had supposedly done wrong. Because of instances like this & many others, it has made him hate Christians, & the idea that there's even a God in general. My friend & I tried to explain to him that the way he was treated was wrong, & it's a shame that it was done in the name of Jesus. His question was, "Well then if there is a God, why does he let bad things happen?" I tried to explain it to him, but I couldn't think of any specific verses I could share. He's obviously very traumatized & it's going to be hard to reach him. But any prayers/scriptures/advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

V-Ball Queen 32
03-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Dear God,
Please help BondageDuck's friend understand that people are there for him. Help him understand that the stereotype christians aren't authentic and that we apologize for how our reputation has been tainted. Please help his friends know what to say and the best time to say it. Also, please just bless them all and see things through.
Amen

theelectric3
03-13-2007, 05:13 PM
that's a classic question.
"if God is a loving God, why do bad things happen?"

because we live in a world full of sin. all of the bad things happening are a result of the sin in this world... there are consequences to the way we act.

and the way we act is a direct result of free will. God chose to limit Himself to our freewill, i believe, because He doesn't want us to be robots; He wants us to be His children.

(note: i don't want this to spark the whole purpose of free will. we have a thread for that already.)

why do bad things happen?
because mankind has been making some very bad choices.
--

just keep loving your friend - allowing Christ's love to flow through you. that speaks louder than any debate.