Nedarbi
03-15-2007, 10:01 AM
as of late i have struggle to keep my faith in god alive. i am graduating soon and i am really concerned that i will fall apary and away from god. i have many ambitions that i feel i passionately want to do. for instance i never read the bible but i would like to(and thoroughly). i try to go to church on a regular basis but sometimes i feel either too tired or too lazy.

basically i want to make god a regular part of my life. i recently realized that the main reason why i feel so much fear and doubt in my life is due to my unfaithfulness to god.

all i aks for is two things. prayer that i will know god better, and advice to help me along the way

Tromos
03-15-2007, 11:27 AM
i want to make god a regular part of my life

I don't wish to be critical, but I think this is part of the problem. It sounds like you want to find a little spot in your life and fit God in. The only effective way is to make God your life and to figure out how everything else serves that.

Otherwise, it's just a game.

bob
03-15-2007, 12:31 PM
Its a hard thing to do. I just try to pray constantly, I basically pray a never ending prayer that's like a conversation to God.

aliengurl7
03-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Don't sweat not reading your bible everyday or going to church. Focus on your relationship with Jesus. Don't make it a job. A little prayer is just as good as a big prayer as long as it's sincere.

bob
03-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Don't sweat not reading your bible everyday or going to church.

Right, there's no verse in the bible that says you will go to hell if you don't read the bible every day. But, it does do well to try and read the bible as much as you can. When Satan tried to tempt Jesus all he responded with was Scripture. Satan will twist scripture and if you don't know it, you will fall for it. And Church can be essential in spiritual growth depending on the Church you go to.

aliengurl7
03-15-2007, 12:59 PM
If you already know what the word of God says, why would you need to read it over and over again? It's more important to apply what you read to your lifestyle then just to read it. Church is good, I agree, but you can have fellowship with other believers anywhere and still grow spirituality.

bob
03-15-2007, 01:23 PM
If you already know what the word of God says, why would you need to read it over and over again?

Exactly. But not everyone does. But it isn't a sin to read the bible. You talk like reading the bible is a torture.

aliengurl7
03-15-2007, 01:30 PM
No, I enjoy reading the bible from time to time. Especially, when it has to do with subjects such as the tribulation or nephilim or when I'm struggling with something. But to do it everyday as though it's something I have to do kills it for me.

weebird20
03-15-2007, 04:01 PM
the Bible is our sword...

Ephesians 6:17 “Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.”

we need to look after our "swords" and learn to use them properly...if we leave them to the side and only bring them out when we feel they might be of use...what good are they?...they could rust and grow dull...though if we treat them with care and use them everyday how much more able will we be to use them against the enemy?

I agree with Tromos...trying make God part of your life Nedarbi could be the problem...God is to BE your life...

Luke 9:23 "Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me."

I realise we all fail at this because none of us are perfect...but to be a follower of Christ means strive to leave all that may distract us from Him and put our focus upon Him continually...

Tromos
03-15-2007, 06:28 PM
"I created the universe. I formed life from nothing and breathed my essence into it. I know all things and can do all things. But I love you so deeply that I gave up my Son so that you could be with Me forever. Every question is answered in Me and I wrote a book to explain it."

"No thanks. I'm good."

:o ???

Laerasyn
03-15-2007, 08:52 PM
the Bible is our sword...

Ephesians 6:17 “Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.”

we need to look after our "swords" and learn to use them properly...if we leave them to the side and only bring them out when we feel they might be of use...what good are they?...they could rust and grow dull...though if we treat them with care and use them everyday how much more able will we be to use them against the enemy?

I agree with Tromos...trying make God part of your life Nedarbi could be the problem...God is to BE your life...

Luke 9:23 "Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me."

I realise we all fail at this because none of us are perfect...but to be a follower of Christ means strive to leave all that may distract us from Him and put our focus upon Him continually...

Amen! ;D

Reading the Bible is definetly important. That can't be stressed enough. There is so much information, inspiration, mystery, and more crammed into that book that it takes Biblical scholars whole lifetimes to get a good grasp on it all, and even they do not by any means understand the whole thing. If you want God to make your faith stronger and make you closer to Him, my friend, than reading His words on a regular basis will definetly help. Granted, it's good to not be legalistic about doing it consistently, but by no means should you make light of the Word of God.
That being said, alot of times it's not enough to just read it- perhaps it would help to read other Christians' thoughts on it, or find a beleiver you trust who has been doing it longer than you have to study throguh it with you.
And that's another thing- getting involved with a group of other believers who are willing to share and discuss their faith is, I believe, essential, even if only for your sanity's sake. It can make you feel extremly alone if you don't have a group of people who are walkiing right beside you in your faith. I am of the opinion that this does not have to be a "church", necesarilly, but it can be. I understand the fear that comes from graduation (assuming you mean High School...). I can only say that wherever you end up, be it at college, still at home, or somewhere else, stay connected with the body of Christ.
The surest sign of a good relationship with Christ is in your actions. Jesus said, "Whoever loves me will obey my commands." Go out and do what you can to obey the great comission and put what you read into practice with someone else- alot of times it ends up helping you grow closer to God just as much as the ones you help.
My last piece of rambling advice (almost done, I promise), is that you should always remember that you will fall every now and then. In an ideal world, we wouldn't have to do any of this to grow closer to God. But this is not an ideal world (though it once was, and will be again ;) ), and sometimes you will mess up. Just remember God's forgiveness, and that His strength is made perfect in weakness. Also remember that just because you can't "feel" God, it doesn't mean He isn't there.

I obviously don't know at what point you are in all this, so forgive me if any of this is stuff you already know. I aparently type too much... I'm sure that if you have acepted the gift of Grace andd truly submitted to the Holy Spirit, theen God will work everything into place for you. Keep at it! ;D

skynes
03-16-2007, 02:52 AM
If you already know what the word of God says, why would you need to read it over and over again? It's more important to apply what you read to your lifestyle then just to read it. Church is good, I agree, but you can have fellowship with other believers anywhere and still grow spirituality.

I already ate my breakfast, why should I eat breakfast again tomorrow?

Matt 4:4 "But He answered and said, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.' " "

The Bible isn't just something to read once then not lift up again, or just read when you want to, it's what keeps us spiritually fed and healthy.

Psalm 1
1 Blessed is the man Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful; 2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law he meditates day and night. 3 He shall be like a tree Planted by the rivers of water, That brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper.

4 The ungodly are not so, But are like the chaff which the wind drives away. 5 Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, Nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous. 6 For the Lord knows the way of the righteous, But the way of the ungodly shall perish.

There are countless other Psalms that stress the importance of studying God's Word daily. Psalm 119 in particular.

2 Tim 3:16-17
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

This is what scripture will bring in a Christian's life.

If anyone wants to make God the focal point of their lives. Daily prayer and reading is a necessity to do it.

jade
03-16-2007, 09:17 AM
I already ate my breakfast, why should I eat breakfast again tomorrow?

Very well stated.

For me, just simply opening my Bible and reading isn't enough. There is so much our finite minds just can't wrap around come the first or Nth time around. I highly suggest getting a Bible study. Something like that will shine a whole new light on what the scripture says. You might want to check out some of Beth Moore's (http://www.lproof.org/) Bible studies.

Also, if you do like just reading through the Bible and not doing an actual study, commentaries are a great resource to have. Warren Wiersbe (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_sc_1/002-4819315-5250432?ie=UTF8&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=warren%20wiersbe) has some wonderful commentaries.

And above all, just talk to God. Let Him know what is on your heart, that you are having a hard time making all this work, let Him know about this guilt, etc.. It doesn't have to be this on your knees 5 hour prayer, but talk to Him any time you struggle, as you go through your daily life. Some times I think there is a misconception that you "have" to talk to God in a specific manner. Remember, this is between you and Him. Also, don't worry if you don't "feel" anything right away. It really isn't about a feeling ... emotions are up and down all the time. He will hear your prayers.

If anyone wants to make God the focal point of their lives. Daily prayer and reading is a necessity to do it.

aliengurl7
03-16-2007, 09:25 AM
I already have the word of God written in my heart, I don't have to read it everyday but it's good if you do though. I do read it and I live it, that's more important.

Nedarbi
03-16-2007, 10:26 AM
in response to laerasyn i must say that it is funny that you sound so much like my sister. i talk to her often and her widom is always passionate like your words, skyns also.

i have recently come to many of these conclusions myself lately. i dont put god first and because of that i frequently feel doubt in myself and i forget the love that is possible to be felt in this world.

just as jade said, i felt that a bible study was good for me. i did not have the luxery of a constant teaching of god as a child and because of that i am not very knowledable. but my passion to learn is very strong.

it is good to be reminded how loving and passionate this forum is.

DarkestRose
03-16-2007, 11:16 PM
Very well stated.

For me, just simply opening my Bible and reading isn't enough. There is so much our finite minds just can't wrap around come the first or Nth time around. I highly suggest getting a Bible study. Something like that will shine a whole new light on what the scripture says. You might want to check out some of Beth Moore's (http://www.lproof.org/) Bible studies.

Beth Moore has some wonderful Bible studies. I read one of hers about Jesus and would highly recommend that one to anybody.

skynes
03-17-2007, 04:32 AM
i did not have the luxery of a constant teaching of god as a child and because of that i am not very knowledable. but my passion to learn is very strong.

Nor did I. I've been saved 7 years this year. I'm pretty sure that's a FRACTION of half the board members here! If you spend the time to learn and study, you will become more knowledgeable.

I already have the word of God written in my heart, I don't have to read it everyday but it's good if you do though.

That's not what the woooord saaaaaays... Lol.

2 Tim 2:15 "Study to show thyself approved unto God"

Aliengurl, try it as a test. Read the Bible, say a chapter, every day for a fortnight. Don't miss a single day and just see what effect it has on your life. Pray before you read anything and ask God to teach you from it.

Psalm 119:18 "Open my eyes, that I may see Wondrous things from Your law."

theelectric3
03-17-2007, 12:14 PM
I don't wish to be critical, but I think this is part of the problem. It sounds like you want to find a little spot in your life and fit God in. The only effective way is to make God your life and to figure out how everything else serves that.

Otherwise, it's just a game.

you took the words out of my mouth.

aliengurl7
03-17-2007, 03:36 PM

Aliengurl, try it as a test. Read the Bible, say a chapter, every day for a fortnight. Don't miss a single day and just see what effect it has on your life. Pray before you read anything and ask God to teach you from it.

Psalm 119:18 "Open my eyes, that I may see Wondrous things from Your law."

Okay, I'll try it and let ya know what happens. Any particular book? What's a fortnight?

I Bite
03-17-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm pretty sure a fortnight is 2 weeks...

aliengurl7
03-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Okay, thanks.

DarkestRose
03-17-2007, 08:38 PM
You might want to try to get a daily Bible. It has sections that divide up the Bible into sections so that one can read the whole thing in a year. Usually more than one chapter, but cool.

unshakeable15
03-17-2007, 10:25 PM
I already have the word of God written in my heart, I don't have to read it everyday but it's good if you do though. I do read it and I live it, that's more important.
To back up Skynes point, James talks about reading Scripture and then walking away and forgetting what you read being like a man who look in a mirror and then forgets what he looks like.

If you never looked in a mirror, or rarely look, you won't have an accurate picture of what you look like. You'll have an inaccurate mental picture (like Neo's mental picture of himself with hair and without connectors building into his spine), a false picture of yourself. In the same way, if you don't continually pick up the Scriptures, your image of what they say will become lost, fragmented, unwhole.

Here's a good book to start with since you're so focused on doing God's Word (and rightly so!): James, only 5 chapters, so it's only a start, but it's a start.

DarkestRose
03-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Responding to the original post, prayer is a great way to get to know God. If it helps, you could keep a prayer journal, writing prayers in the forms of letters to God and just write out everything you're thinking, feeling, perceiving, and so on uncensored (since God knows everything anyway) and giving it to God. What's awesome is that you can look back later and see how God has responded to your prayers. But regularly talking to God is a great way to come closer to Him.

I agree with what everyone has been saying about the importance of God's Word. Bible intake and prayer are both fundamentals of the faith because we hear God (through the Bible) and respond to Him (through prayer). God can reveal Himself to us in other ways, and us to Him (like in worship). But I think prayer and Bible intake are definately areas to focus in on.

bob
03-18-2007, 10:05 AM
If you're going to start reading the bible daily a good place to start would be in the New Testament. I know for myself personally I had a consistent schedule of reading my bible daily and then I headed into the Old Testament and started from Genesis and by the time I got to 2 Kings it got a little boring, you need to make sure you mix it up. Proverbs is always a good read too.

alorian
03-18-2007, 02:32 PM

Okay... good verse but I don't see the word "daily" in there :P Not saying it's not a good idea to read every single day (it is!), but I don't know anywhere it's been commanded to do so.

Laerasyn
03-18-2007, 04:36 PM
If you're going to start reading the bible daily a good place to start would be in the New Testament. I know for myself personally I had a consistent schedule of reading my bible daily and then I headed into the Old Testament and started from Genesis and by the time I got to 2 Kings it got a little boring, you need to make sure you mix it up. Proverbs is always a good read too.

Yeah... usually when you follow those pre-planned daily Bible reading guides they have you read passages from the Old and New Testament each day. It's really cool to see how they paralell eachother sometimes

skynes
03-19-2007, 04:17 AM
Okay, I'll try it and let ya know what happens. Any particular book? What's a fortnight?

A fortnight is two weeks. Sorry I thought you would have known that term.

book... book... hmm.

James is a good suggestion. I'd also stick 1 John in there and 2 Timothy.

You could pray about what you should read? Maybe God'll lead you down a completely different path than what I suggest.

Okay... good verse but I don't see the word "daily" in there Not saying it's not a good idea to read every single day (it is!), but I don't know anywhere it's been commanded to do so.

Psalm 1 "I meditate on your words day and night" Not a command but it shows Davids pattern of living.

Also as more of a work-it-out thing, Jesus compared words from the mouth of God with food. How often do you eat? Daily?

Grunge=Fun
04-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Live Christ-like and in everything you do think WHAT WOULD JESUS DO? I know its a corny slogan but its true. What would Jesus do if he was offered heroine? I can easily tell you that he'd refuse it with scripture to back him up! Man what an awesome God!