Relinquished
04-05-2007, 07:54 AM
Yo - Recently I have been really struggling with some things in my life, and I have been praying alot, reading the bible and studying like crazy. But So far it isn't helping much right now.

So recently I started searching for books that inspire, and set a new flame in hearts. Since I am a teen I would prefer a book written for teens. Can anyone help me with this?

~Relin~

skynes
04-05-2007, 08:45 AM
See when you read the Bible. Do you pray about what you read?

Relinquished
04-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Yes. I do actually. But not everything is easy for me to understand and, the way I understand things in the bible rarely sets a fire in my heart, because not much of it pertains to my situation. Granted a greater understanding does come from reading and praying about what I read.

This doesn't neccisarily (SP?) mean that it helps my situation and how I feel.

~Relin~

skynes
04-05-2007, 09:51 AM
I suggest you read the Old Testament. Mid-Genesis onward.

I think you'll find that a lot of these people had separations from parents, moving away stories and reunited endings too.

dawn of light
04-05-2007, 09:52 AM
I think a good book to read would be The Life You've Always Wanted by John Ortberg.

It's hard to know what kind of book to suggest without knowing the particular thing you're struggling with. That book ^^ is very general. [good book though]

A good book specifically for men is Wild at Heart by John Eldredge.

Relinquished
04-05-2007, 10:07 AM
I think a good book to read would be The Life You've Always Wanted by John Ortberg.

It's hard to know what kind of book to suggest without knowing the particular thing you're struggling with. That book ^^ is very general. [good book though]

A good book specifically for men is Wild at Heart by John Eldredge.

I posted the whole story under the Gardens forum- as "Praising God and Broken Hearts"

~Relin~

jade
04-05-2007, 10:21 AM
I went ahead and moved this over here because it is specifically asking for Christian literature. :)

Relinquished
04-05-2007, 10:30 AM
I went ahead and moved this over here because it is specifically asking for Christian literature. :)

Thanks - wasn't entirely sure where to post it! :-[

;D

~Relin~

BarlowgIRL
04-11-2007, 04:31 PM
1 John 2 John 3 John, Corinthians....

bob
04-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Phillipians is a good one.

BondageDuck
04-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Yo - Recently I have been really struggling with some things in my life, and I have been praying alot, reading the bible and studying like crazy. But So far it isn't helping much right now.

So recently I started searching for books that inspire, and set a new flame in hearts. Since I am a teen I would prefer a book written for teens. Can anyone help me with this?

~Relin~

"She Said Yes: The Unlikely Martyrdom Of Cassie Bernall" by Misty Bernall. It is amazing. It changed my life. I was totally in the same place you're in a few months back & this book was exactly what I needed to get back on track.

theelectric3
04-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Yes. I do actually. But not everything is easy for me to understand and, the way I understand things in the bible rarely sets a fire in my heart, because not much of it pertains to my situation. Granted a greater understanding does come from reading and praying about what I read.

~Relin~

i second what Scott said. ask the Holy Spirit to reveal what you read. talk it over with a pastor/mentor/fellow brother or sister in Christ... iron sharpens iron. :)

look at proverbs.... plenty of practical wisdom right there.

it's not that the bible doesn't have what we need.. perhaps we just aren't really looking and reading with the expectation of getting an answer.

when i'm willing to dig a bit, i find all my questions answered and all my worries calmed.

the Bible does have the answers. and i'm not saying that as another christianese lingo. i mean it.

devotional books are good tools to add into the mix as well (highlighting a scripture a day).

My Utmost for His Highest - Oswald Chambers (get the updated language edition)

Streams in the Desert (also get the updated language edition).

both are really good.

the rocker
04-14-2007, 08:21 AM
A good book specifically for men is Wild at Heart by John Eldredge.Yeah, read Wild at Heart. Every guy should.

Jay
04-27-2007, 08:01 PM
"Rachel's Tears"

Most inspiring book I have ever read EVER.

JenniferAnn
04-28-2007, 07:41 PM
I know someone who'd have tons of great suggestions, i'll ask her and get right back to you. =]

froggie socks.
05-08-2007, 03:17 PM
if you want a book in the bible, my fav. is Duteronamy, (i can't spell, but i hope you know what it is, if you don't then it's the 5th book in the old testimate) but if you want a book, than i would read Dragon Spell, by Donita K. Paul, it's a chritian book, trust me, i've read it like 5 times and it never gets old and it always sets a flame back in my heart, read it, it's good.

bekbel
06-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Two books that totally changed my perspective on my walk with Christ (In a good way) ((these are also fairly comfortable reads...they are not made for teens but are easy to understand))

Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell
Cat and Dog Theology by Bob Sjogren

Oh, and yeah, whoever said Rachel's Tears was dead-on, that is a great book

planet_kosmos
06-14-2007, 11:33 PM
The end for which God created the world by Jonathan Edwards. This book is challenging and radical. It is a hard read but worth it. Also Desiring God by John Piper.