Maxdude360
04-08-2007, 05:46 PM
hey everyone i thought it would be interesting to find out wat everyone's name means. mine is Christian which obviously means follower of Christ

unshakeable15
04-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Here's a helping hand for ya: http://www.behindthename.com/

From the Hebrew name מִיכָאֵל (Mika'el) which meant "who is like God?". This is the name of one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible. In the Book of Revelation in the New Testament he is portrayed as the leader of heaven's armies, and thus is considered the patron saint of soldiers. This was also the name of nine Byzantine emperors and a czar of Russia. Other more modern bearers of this name include the 19th-century chemist/physicist Michael Faraday and basketball player Michael Jordan.

the rocker
04-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Tyler = Tile maker

I know...retarded. I wish I was joking.

DarkestRose
04-08-2007, 07:26 PM
The girl's name Jennifer \j(e)-nni-fer\ is pronounced JEN-ee-fer, JEN-if-er. It is of Welsh origin, and its meaning is "fair one".

Variant of Guinevere. Mythology: in Arthurian tales, Guinevere was Arthur's queen. The name is made popular by film star Jennifer Jones. Literary: Bernard Shaw used the name for the character of Jennifer Dubedat in "The Doctor's Dilemma" (1905). Jenifer is a spelling variant used especially in Cornwall. See also Gaynor and Ginevra. Actresses Jennifer Gray, Jennifer Jones, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Jennifer O'Neill, Jennifer Aniston, Jennifer Connelly, Jennifer Garner, Jennifer Lopez.

Jennifer has 21 variant forms: Genna, Genni, Gennie, Gennifer, Geniffer, Gennivre, Genny, Jen, Jena, Jenefer, Jeni, Jenifer, Jeniffer, Jenn, Jenna, Jennee, Jenni, Jennica, Jennie, Jenniver and Jenny.

Got it from this site: http://www.thinkbabynames.com/

as~i~lay~dying
04-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Jessica- English-

This name was first used in this form by Shakespeare in his play 'The Merchant of Venice', where it belongs to the daughter of Shylock. Shakespeare probably based it on the biblical יִסְכָה (Yiskah), the name of a minor character in Genesis, which meant "YAHWEH beholds" in Hebrew. Jessica is sometimes used as a feminine form of JESSE.

pizza brain
04-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Matthe-Gift of God. Not so sure i agree lol

pizza brain
04-08-2007, 07:31 PM
ops I ment matthew

Eleyond
04-09-2007, 01:42 AM
Ruben-Herbrew

it means behold a son.
the oldest son of Mozes

skynes
04-09-2007, 04:22 AM
Tyler = Tile maker

I know...retarded. I wish I was joking.

I can top that.

Scott = From a surname which meant "Scotsman" in Old English. The original meaning of the word Scot is debated, but it may mean "tattoo", so given because Scotsmen often had tattoos

So my name signifies the country my name is from... How exciting..

bob
04-09-2007, 05:40 AM
James is derived from the same Hebrew name as Jacob, meaning "grasps by the heel" or "supplanter," probably in a deceiving way.

Heh, my last name, Kolstedt, roughly translated from German means "cabbage town" . . . now that's pretty awesome. :)

dawn of light
04-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Rachel - ewe
Hebrew in origin.

newday_7
04-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Gregory - Origin: Latin
Meaning: Vigilante, Watchman

Aragornsgirl217
04-11-2007, 08:31 AM
First name: Suzanne
Origin: Hebrew
Meaning: Lily

Middle name: Nicole
Origin: French
Meaning: Victory of the people

unshakeable15
04-11-2007, 08:12 PM
I can top that.

Scott = From a surname which meant "Scotsman" in Old English. The original meaning of the word Scot is debated, but it may mean "tattoo", so given because Scotsmen often had tattoos

So my name signifies the country my name is from... How exciting..
ButButBut... You're Irish!

The Lamma
04-12-2007, 10:29 AM
He could be both, like me...Actually, I'm from all four of those places. :P

EDIT: And yes, I'm pretty sure Scottsmen have moved to Ireland...

forceflow17
04-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Josh - Hebrew

think it means the lord is my salvation, or something like that

theelectric3
04-12-2007, 11:39 AM
i found this website (http://www.bostonuk.com/name_meanings.php?f=Boston) to be interesting.

Tracy
Bold, courageous "Latin"
You are an inspiring leader whose originality, creativity and wisdom are applied to creating practical solutions to "unsolvable" problems. Humanitarian and idealistic your vision is to make the world a better place and you will work to this end. Hardworking and tenacious people admire you for your honesty and integrity. You are a loved and loyal friend and partner. Your have the potential to achieve enormous success in the world.
--

my parents named me tracy because my dad had a dream about my twin sister and i before we were born. baby a was tracy and baby b was kelly.

so when we were born, we were given those names.

dawn of light
04-12-2007, 07:20 PM
That's so neat, Tracy.

The same thing happened to my aunt. A week before she gave birth she had a dream about a young boy who came up to her and told her he was her son. He introduced himself as Noble. And that's what she named her son when he was born.

I was named after my great-grandmother Rachel and my Aunt Dawn.

Meaning of my last name:
1) One who came from the district of <rachel's last name>, a location near Loch Lomond in Scotland. From the Gaelic elements buth, meaning "house" and chanain, meaning "of the canon." 2) An anglicization of the German buchenhain, meaning "beech wood."
[don't really want to give out my last name on the internet]

DarkestRose
04-12-2007, 08:13 PM
I like Tracey's site, and want to use that one.

Jennifer
White wave "Welsh"
Sensitive, emotional and caring you seek peace and harmony and desire to work for the benefit of others and society. Your talents and abilities may draw you towards teaching or service occupations where you would be a natural success. Although quite reserved your courage and ideals mean that you are single-minded and industrious in pursuit of your goals. Your affectionate and giving nature means that you are loved by all.

Laerasyn
04-20-2007, 06:21 AM
Behind the name says that my name, Janine, is the English form of the French Jeannine, which is the pet form of Jeanne (the way Joan of Arc's name should be spelled, apparently), which is an old French feminine form of Johannes, which is the the French form of John, meaning "YAWEH is gracious."
That was a lot of clicking for one name.

This other website is interesting... here's what it had to say to me:

Janine
God`s gift "Hebrew"
You are a visionary with courage and enthusiasm if a little hasty at times. Your ambitious nature can be satisfied when you apply wisdom, patience and self-discipline to your vitality and zest. You have wonderful way with words and may be drawn to the communications arena where there is the potential for great success. Your generous and warm nature attracts many friends and loved ones.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you know me... sounds kind of like one of those Zodiac things you read on the place mats in Chinese restaurants... lol

theelectric3
04-20-2007, 01:09 PM
i found that site that i listed above interesting because of the fact that i felt it really did describe me.

i love seeing the meanings behind the name.

rachel - i totally agree with not putting your last name out on the web.

The Lamma
04-20-2007, 02:49 PM
This is freaky...

You are a visionary with courage and enthusiasm if a little hasty at times. Your ambitious nature can be satisfied when you apply wisdom, patience and self-discipline to your vitality and zest. You have wonderful way with words and may be drawn to the communications arena where there is the potential for great success. Your generous and warm nature attracts many friends and loved ones.

Thats what the website said about my name...Totally me. I can get hasty, but I do have a way with words, and all that...

EDIT: I'm not giving my name...Sorry.

V-Ball Queen 32
04-20-2007, 02:57 PM
KELSEY

Usage: English

Pronounced: KEL-see [key]

From an English surname which is of disputed meaning. It could be derived from the Old English given name Ceolsige meaning "ship victory". Alternatively it could mean "Cenel's island", from the Old English name Cenel "fierce" in combination with eg "island".

Yea! I'm a ship.

The Lamma
04-20-2007, 02:59 PM
Hahahahaha... 'Tin Man' comes up with the same definition as my real name...Is that weird or what?

Oh, and my real name means the 'crossroads'. We have the definition framed on our wall. :P

DarkestRose
04-20-2007, 08:27 PM
i found that site that i listed above interesting because of the fact that i felt it really did describe me.

It really does work, which is kinda weird. I wonder if it is like what Laerasyn said, where it's like those zodiac things where the descriptions apply to pretty much everybody? But it does sound like me. Hmmm.

Laerasyn
04-20-2007, 08:51 PM
It really does work, which is kinda weird. I wonder if it is like what Laerasyn said, where it's like those zodiac things where the descriptions apply to pretty much everybody? But it does sound like me. Hmmm.

That is sort of what it seems like to me... evidenced by the fact that Lamma and I got the exact same description, and I highly doubt his name is Janine. lol

...unless, I suppose, his name is John or some form of John, because that's supposed to be where mine comes from... hmmm...

The Lamma
04-21-2007, 09:26 AM
I ain't a John, lol. But also remember Tin Man got the same as my real name. :P

Quadripedman
04-21-2007, 10:17 AM
God shall add "Hebrew"

You are both a visionary and a realist able to bring your dreams into a tangible form. Pioneering and ambitious you accept new challenges and the responsibilities which go with them willingly. Your sound judgement, resourcefulness and positive nature means that your progress in life is assured. Certainly your kindness and generosity to others and your inspirational manner attract success as well as many admirers.

the other one said "He shall add"

its pretty cool

I Bite
04-21-2007, 10:33 AM
[using the site tracy gave]

Stephani:
You are highly perceptive and intuitive with a wonderful imagination and the ability to manifest your dreams in reality. You are able to create joy, security and harmony for yourself and in the lives of others by the support and dedication which you give. Often the centre of influence people admire your fine qualities and follow your example. Much happiness is gained through your willingness to serve good causes.

hmm..i don't know. parts of that is right, but it makes me sound too perfect.

this one, my last name, is much more like myself.

Beloved "Hebrew"
You are charming, talented and have a very positive attitude to life so it is hardly surprising that you attract success and recognition. Focussed and patient you understand that material rewards are a result of discipline. Being so creative and with a need for self-expression you may be drawn towards the arts, travel is also likely to be important. A loyal friend, you are a person who must be allowed freedom and independence

Quadripedman
04-21-2007, 01:07 PM
i just did my surname and it came up the same as my first name. thats pretty cool.

The Lamma
04-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Mine did too, lol

Bassplayer
04-24-2007, 02:48 PM
ok, my name is dustin. i looked it up on that website and this is what it said:
DUSTIN
Usage: English Pronounced: DUS-tin

From a surname which was derived from the Old Norse given name Ţórsteinn (see TORSTEN).

TORSTEN
Usage: Swedish, Danish, German
Pronounced: TAWR-sten (German)

From the Old Norse name Ţórsteinn, which meant "Thor's stone" from the name of the Norse god Ţórr (see THOR) combined with steinn "stone".

some other books say my name means "Valient Father", "Brave Heart," Valient Warrior", and some other things.

DarkestRose
04-24-2007, 04:16 PM
It'd be cool that have a name that meant Braveheart, like the movie. :)

alienyouth9292
04-24-2007, 05:41 PM
JESSE

Usage: English, Biblical

Pronounced: JES-ee [key]

From the Hebrew name יִשַׁי (Yishay) which possibly meant "gift". Jesse was the father of King David in the Old Testament. A famous bearer of this name was Jesse James, an American outlaw who held up banks and stagecoaches. He was eventually shot by a fellow gang member for a reward. Another famous bearer was the American athlete Jesse Owens.

well.....

frymeskillet
04-24-2007, 07:48 PM
Savannah: Meaning, surprise! Grassy Field or Plain. That's a hard one. Ultimately deriving from the Taino (Native American) word zabana. ( I didn't know that...)

Louise: Simply the feminine form of Louis. Go figure. :P

mk kid
04-25-2007, 03:01 PM
i dont know what country or origin my name comes from but christopher means "christ carried over water" which is funny becuase i am a missionary. also it is based on a catholic story about St. Christopher. my last name griffin is based on a mythological creature. so i have both worlds so to speak.

Metalfrk012
05-18-2007, 04:54 AM
Derek,
im not exactly sure of its origin but think it means 'Mighty ruler' or something like that

Bassplayer
05-23-2007, 12:14 PM
It'd be cool that have a name that meant Braveheart, like the movie. :)

yeah, it's pretty sweet sometimes. i'll joke around about being the "brave" one every so often. but the valiant father part scares me somewhat. lol

Fly74
05-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Andy - Greek origin
means manly and brave