bob
04-11-2007, 04:32 AM
Jesus repeats himself three times in Mark chapter 9 where he mentions that there are going to be worms in hell (Mark 9:44, 46, 48 ) and I know that he would've have repeated himself three times if it wasn't relevant and/or important. The verse he is actually referring to is Isaiah 66: 24 which says in the NKJV- "And they shall go forth and look upon the corpses of the men who have transgressed against Me. For their worm does not die, And their fire is not quenches. They shall be an abhorrence to all flesh." Great mental picture, I know. :) But my question is: should this be taken literally or as a metaphor?

NightCrawler
04-11-2007, 06:34 AM
The picture of Hell that Jesus was conveying was that of the valley of Gehinnom. What we translate from Hell in the texts is usually "gehenna" for that reason.

The valley of gehinnom (I might be misspelling) was known for its dump-heap and the ever-burning fire. It was originally a pit to sacrifice babies to a false god (can't remember which, Ammon?) of the Canaanites. It was not too distant from Jerusalem. Jesus wanted us to get a picture of Hell as being a place where trash (fecal waste, dead corpses of the unclean, broken pottery, etc.) burns purpetually.

I don't know if we will have crap and worms literally, in fact I doubt it. I don't have any support elsewhere Scripturally (right off) regarding if there will be.

bob
04-11-2007, 06:41 AM
Okay, that puts things into perspective for me. Thanks. :)

The Lamma
04-11-2007, 11:50 AM
That is quite interesting, Jonathan. I'm learning new stuff like that every day here...Lol.

Hell might just be soul torment, not necessarily physical. It could be both, too.

skilletfreak101
04-13-2007, 07:56 AM
has anyone ever read the book "23 Minutes in Hell"? it's a pretty interesting book. but anyways...i've heard about the worm thing, and I know some people who really believe that your body turns into a worm when you go to hell. hmmm....i don't really know cuz i've never been there

The Lamma
04-13-2007, 09:49 AM
You turn into a worm? What in the world? Thats crazyness...If anything, you'd be continually eaten by them, not become one.

Quadripedman
04-13-2007, 05:39 PM
i would say that it would be taken literally. i dont really know, but it seems like something that could be possible...

john316
04-15-2007, 05:22 AM
I remember hearing about a type of worm that when it is put in fire it will writhe around but the fire will not kill it.

When I have more time i will try to look up info on it.

bob
04-15-2007, 08:57 AM
I remember hearing about a type of worm that when it is put in fire it will writhe around but the fire will not kill it.

Sounds brutal.

somasoul
04-15-2007, 03:30 PM

When I have more time i will try to look up info on it.

I don't believe that. Fire kills everything.

I think the point is that in hell you are always dying. Jesus is painting hell as place where death isn't an event, it's perpetual.

john316
04-15-2007, 04:30 PM
I don't believe that. Fire kills everything.

I guess you are right...I couldnt find any info to back up what i remember hearing.

*note to self*...dont rely on your memory.

The Lamma
04-16-2007, 12:29 PM
But if that worm did exist, it would be a nice metaphor...

Geneva
04-23-2007, 05:05 PM
You turn into a worm? What in the world? Thats crazyness...If anything, you'd be continually eaten by them, not become one.

I think it'd kind of suck to become a worm. I mean, all those little kids pulling you apart and eating you and being used as bait?

I'd rather be eaten by one than become one.

But that's just me. =x

The Lamma
04-23-2007, 06:40 PM
There would be no little kids to pull you apart...

Geneva
04-24-2007, 04:06 AM
Good point.

V-Ball Queen 32
04-24-2007, 01:52 PM
This is a weird thread . . .hhmmmmmmm. I know that everything in the Bible did happen, so it probably should be taken literally, but I don't know for sure. I'm no Bible scholar:). It could be.

I know I'm not helping anyone solve this, but that's what I think.

bob
04-24-2007, 06:17 PM
I know that everything in the Bible did happen

Are you saying all of Jesus' parables actually occured or the events of Revelation happened?

NightCrawler
04-26-2007, 06:29 AM
Are you saying [...] or the events of Revelation happened?

I'd say so :)

[edit]

If it didn't happen, then what John saw was not real.

"[9] I, John, your brother and companion in the suffering and kingdom and patient endurance that are ours in Jesus, was on the island of Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus. [10] On the Lord's Day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet, ..."
-- Revelations 1

The Lamma
04-26-2007, 03:39 PM
It happened in a vision, not yet litterally. A lot (not most!!) of stuff in the Bible didn't happen, such as above mentioned, Jesus' parables.

NightCrawler
04-26-2007, 05:21 PM
It happened in a vision, not yet litterally. A lot (not most!!) of stuff in the Bible didn't happen, such as above mentioned, Jesus' parables.
He was "in the Spirit", that could mean a host of things. Someone was transported across a desert through the Spirit (see below). John could have very easily been in the future.

Acts 8:
38And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him. 39When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing. 40Philip, however, appeared at Azotus and traveled about, preaching the gospel in all the towns until he reached Caesarea.

The Lamma
04-26-2007, 05:30 PM
I might have hinted at saying it wasn't real...I was trying to say a lot of it hasn't happened yet, even John did see it. I do know that God can 'teleport' anyone he chooses, and he has done it, as in the verse you mentioned above. But, do you remember in Revelation John something like a giant hornet. Its speculated that it was a fighter plane, but he had no clue what it was.

bob
04-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Well, fouth dimensionally speaking, it hasn't happened yet. :P

The Lamma
04-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Exactly. The time dimension. ...Dimentions drive me nuts...:P