NightCrawler
04-13-2007, 11:54 AM
I like to cook. Does anyone else? I don't cook often or a wide variety of things, I just like to make things and serve people like that. I want a girl that likes to cook, but if she can't I won't stress it much.

Woot. 1,500 posts.

How much do you like cooking, and do you want your spouse to cook/be able to cook?

I Bite
04-13-2007, 02:30 PM
I like to cook...Baking i don't like as much, unless its a cake and i can decorate it later...But cooking, like pasta and stuff...I really like that.
I guess i want my spouse to be able to cook...but if he can't, it won't be that huge of a deal.

aliengurl7
04-13-2007, 05:15 PM
I like to cook when I'm not lazy.

theelectric3
04-13-2007, 05:19 PM
i don't have too many opportunities to cook or bake (my mom loves to do it and i've been super busy lately) but i enjoy it everytime i get too. :)

i do, however, make coffee drinks practically every day. :P

the rocker
04-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Me and cooking don't go togetehr that well. I can hardly make anything that has to go through the microwave. I burn salad.

frymeskillet
04-13-2007, 09:25 PM
I like to cook...however, I don't like the dishes part. :P

With that said, it would be nice to have a man to cook every now and then...but you can't hope for too much nowadays.

DarkestRose
04-14-2007, 12:00 PM
I love to bake cakes, cookies, rice krispie treats and such. Every now and then (like on Skillet birthdays) I get in a baking mood.

I like cooking pretty well, though I'd like to be able to make real recipes from scratch instead of cooking from a box. I found a vegetarian magazine that had so many beautiful recipes and that got me started about really thinking about really cooking.

I don't think I'd care either way if the guy I married could cook. If he could, then he could cook for me sometimes and we'd share the work. If he couldn't, then he couldn't judge mine. Either way it works.

bob
04-14-2007, 07:24 PM
I can cook a little bit. I make a superb Cheese Cake (http://www.zoelife4u.org/~bob/Cake.jpg). I hope to find a wife that can cook and I'll strike a deal with her that if she cooks I'll do the dishes. :D A compromise if you must.

Laerasyn
04-14-2007, 09:07 PM
I'll strike a deal with her that if she cooks I'll do the dishes. :D A compromise if you must.

Now that, my friend, is a gooood deal ;D
I love to cook. My family is half Italian, so we make pasta and marinara sauce and stuff from scratch. :lick: I've also been told that when I make Mexican food and/or chili it's also pretty good.
Baking not so much. I have to have a very detailed recipe or else I find some unique way to mess it up. My dad does all the baking for our house, he's good at it.
And that cheesecake looked delicious, by the way.

bob
04-14-2007, 11:07 PM
Now that, my friend, is a gooood deal ;D

So we're getting married then? ;)

dawn of light
04-15-2007, 06:38 PM
I can cook pretty well. I can bake also. I've been told a few times that I make the world's best brownies! ;D

I like cooking if I feel like I have the time. Otherwise I'm just hurrying through it so I can eat and move on to studying or going to work.

I'd like to marry someone who can cook. But it's not essential.

terrasin
04-15-2007, 06:45 PM
I love to cook when I have the time. I almost took night classes while in California to learn to prepare meals you would see in the fancy restaurants. The kind that cost $150+ a plate. But alas, I didn't have the money at the time. Not only that but great cooks who work in places like that have to be good. Not just "read it from the recipe" good, but really talented.

Now days, I get a lot of recipes from allrecipes.com. I love how you can submit them and how people can rate them after they make it themselves while adding comments. The comment section is especially great because people note what they did different to make it even better. We've goten some really good ones from there.

CJ

The Lamma
04-16-2007, 12:16 PM
My mom makes me and my sibs cook one meal a week. Its good practice, and I also know how to make mac and cheese for lunch. :P

Ivy
04-18-2007, 05:02 AM
Yes, I cook... I love it, usually. Baking, on the other hand... I need practice.

I would like my future spouse to know how to cook, but if he can't, it won't be the end of the world.

NightCrawler
04-19-2007, 06:58 AM
So we're getting married then? ;)
Wait, what?

She's an INTJ.

I so called her first.

bob
04-19-2007, 07:03 AM
Yeah, but she said "That's a deal" to my proposition!

The Lamma
04-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Lol. Stop fighting over girls!! :P

NightCrawler
04-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Lol. Stop fighting over girls!! :P
You don't know any INTJs in person, do you? They are RARE, let alone INTJ girls!!!!

bob
04-19-2007, 07:02 PM
You don't know any INTJs in person, do you? They are RARE, let alone INTJ girls!!!!

Yeah, but that doesn't change the fact that she said yes to me first. :)

weebird20
04-19-2007, 11:47 PM
lets try to keep this thread on topic guys...

cooking yes....cooking is fun...just not the washing-up and cleaning that comes afterwards :P

The Lamma
04-20-2007, 07:28 AM
INTJ? Lol, whatever. I'll try and stay on topic, weebird... Cooking can be fun since YOU GET TO EAT YOUR WORK!! Lol

DarkestRose
04-20-2007, 02:28 PM
INTJ? Lol, whatever.

From the MBTI thread (http://www.panheads.org/boards/showthread.php?t=5499). You should check it out.

Laerasyn
04-20-2007, 08:31 PM
hmmm... that was kinda fun... I probably should have something terribly witty to say... but I gots nuthin.

Anyway, so a few of my friends have decided to rent out the kitchen on campus and cook lunch for the rest of us, and they have informed us that they are making fish tacos. This does not sound appetizing to me... has anyone ever had this before?

DarkestRose
04-20-2007, 08:38 PM
I've heard of fish tacos, but never had one. It doesn't sound good at all.

NightCrawler
04-21-2007, 06:19 AM
I've heard of fish tacos, but never had one. It doesn't sound good at all.
How would one make that? I mean, tacos are supposed to be spicy... spicy fish?? Gross.

The Lamma
04-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Replace the beef with fish, and still put the taco seasoning on. :P Oh, and often you put extra spicy salsa for spiciness.

I Bite
04-21-2007, 10:27 AM
i've had something like them.

passable, but not great.

fang
04-22-2007, 05:30 PM
My dad loves them.

bob
04-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Over in Germany the McDonalds had fish McNuggets, which looked odd. I didn't have the guts to try them.

DarkestRose
04-22-2007, 09:19 PM
My high school had fish nuggets. They looked like chicken nuggets, only they were shaped like fish. They didn't taste like fish or any other meat, nor did they taste like vegetarian "meat." But they were okay.

The Lamma
04-23-2007, 11:59 AM
I would think that the nuggests would taste like breaded cod or whatever...

DarkestRose
04-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Well, it was a school lunch. Nothing tastes like it really should.

I Bite
04-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Well, it was a school lunch. Nothing tastes like it really should.

lol, so true.
However, at my old school, they served some of the best pizza i have ever tasted. It rivaled my moms...which is really an accomplishment. My mom makes good pizza.:D

The Lamma
04-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Homeschoolers don't know that first hand, but I have heard the over-exaggerated stories about it...

DarkestRose
04-23-2007, 06:51 PM
They're not horrible lunches, just not exactly good.

The Lamma
04-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Thus why I said 'over-exaggerated stories'. :P

bob
04-23-2007, 07:26 PM
I actually didn't mind the school lunches, but I packed most of the time. :) I always ate a ham and dorito sandwhich. :)

DarkestRose
04-23-2007, 07:38 PM
I didn't mind them. I mean, I ate them.

I Bite
04-23-2007, 07:48 PM
I actually didn't mind the school lunches, but I packed most of the time. :) I always ate a ham and dorito sandwhich. :)

would you ever do a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with chips? one of my friends does..

its kinda gross, but not as gross as:

My sisters friend, she spreads Peanut Butter on bologna and puts cheetos on it, puts it on bread and calls it a sandwich.

now that is disgusting.

NightCrawler
04-24-2007, 08:55 AM
Who likes the school's cooking?

I was homeschooled, so I generally did :D

bob
04-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Well, you can't really call it school cooking . . . thawing out meat and sticking it in a microwave isn't really cooking.

fifi la bomba
04-24-2007, 09:56 AM
lol i love to cook.. i like it better than eating, which is an unfortunate side-effect of cooking. that and doing dishes... bane of my existence... but yeah i love cooking, especially anything meat (yay beef!!) and anything asian. they have to be my favs....

The Lamma
04-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Who likes the school's cooking?

I was homeschooled, so I generally did :D

When you homeschool, the lunch has got to be good, 'cause you made it yourself...:P I know that firsthand.

Bob, I read one of those 'over-exaggerated' stories in which the guy said that mowed the lawn, emptied the bag in the cafeteria for spinach, and then made soup. :P

Laerasyn
04-24-2007, 11:44 AM
I live off of cafeteria food for breakfast lunch and dinner, so I'm kinda used to it. That doesn't mean it's good, though. And some things I would definitely not classify as edible. There are days when I'm really tempted to go back in the kitchen, drive everybody out with a ladle, and take over...

bob
04-24-2007, 11:54 AM
Bob, I read one of those 'over-exaggerated' stories in which the guy said that mowed the lawn, emptied the bag in the cafeteria for spinach, and then made soup. :P

Metaphorically speaking that's fairly accurate. :P

Bassplayer
04-24-2007, 02:55 PM
i love to cook. especially grilling, mexican food, italian, pizza, and stuff like that. and yes, i'd prefer a good cook as my wife, but it's not too big of a deal since i like to cook.

DarkestRose
04-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Metaphorically speaking that's fairly accurate. :P

Actually, I went to an elementary school in California and it had really good food. We had a lot of fast food though, so that Mondays were Taco Bell days (just burritoes), Wednesdays were KFC days and Fridays were pizza days from Pizza Hut/Dominoes. I remember we had those ham and cheese hot pockets too. Those were really good too, but probably unhealthy.

The Lamma
04-26-2007, 05:14 PM
^ That'd probably be why it wasn't that bad. :P I love fast food, but it litterally makes you fat. But thats a diff thread.

frymeskillet
04-26-2007, 06:51 PM
My elementary school had awesome food. When I was still there I never understood when people complained about school lunches, the same with the 6th and 7th grade at this rich middle school, they actually had pizza hut pizza every single day, and the actual school food was great. Now, when I moved and went to another middle school and later to another high school, I learned all about horrible school lunches. Ew, my school has got to have the worst lunches.

I take my lunch everyday. Sure, I'd like some hot food every once in a while, but I'd much rather have my chip sandwich (BBQ By the way, I'm not completely copying Bob's post ;) ) and some sort of juice.

DarkestRose
04-26-2007, 07:25 PM
^ That'd probably be why it wasn't that bad. :P I love fast food, but it litterally makes you fat. But thats a diff thread.

Well, the "not that bad" food came from a different school district when I moved here. When I moved to Oregon, the food here was okay. Kinda like Savannah's story.

The Lamma
04-27-2007, 08:08 AM
But food is food. You either eat or you don't. :P

frymeskillet
04-27-2007, 12:48 PM
I think Cooking is the subject here.

My favorite thing to cook would have to be breakfast, I can cook a mean one too. Fried Eggs, sausage, grits, pancakes, or bacon and toast...

*drools*

bob
04-27-2007, 01:33 PM
I vowed to never again cook bacon after the age of 8. Why? You might ask. Story:

When I was a Eight I set my alarm clock for 6AM and woke up early and planend to surprise my family by making them breakfast (wasn't I an awesome son?). I was making the sausage and bacon and everything was going awesome until I went to go dump the bacon onto the plate and I somehow dumped it down my arms (I don't know how), but man did that ever hurt. And of course my screaming woke everyone up and my plan was foiled.

Anonymous2011
04-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Ouch! I like cooking sometimes but I can never make eggs without either popping the yolk or making it too hard:(. I love waffles, those I can make really good!

The Lamma
04-27-2007, 02:15 PM
What do I cook for breakfast? I don't. :P

NightCrawler
04-27-2007, 02:34 PM
What do I cook for breakfast? I don't. :P
I like to make 2 slices of toast, a fried egg, and three links of sausage. Great meal.

Or switch the toast for some hashbrowns (fried, shredded potatoes).

The Lamma
04-27-2007, 08:24 PM
I'm a cereal guy. Easiest meal to cook on the planet. :P

I Bite
04-27-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm a cereal guy. Easiest meal to cook on the planet. :P

lol, i know a guy that swears he burns cold cereal.

For breakfast...I can make eggs alright, but I am teh bomB! at making toast.
naw, i like making fried potatoes and eating it with eggs. I'm ok at pancakes, but i'm not a good flipper.

The Lamma
04-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Burns cold cereal? What? (I know you mean that oatmeal goop, but huh?)

And by potatoes, you don't mean the baked stuff but like taters? :P

Laerasyn
04-28-2007, 09:29 AM
Breakfast? One word: Omlettes.
With every topping I can possibly scrounge out of the refrigerator. And just a little bit of milk, sugar, and chilli powder in the eggs. :lick:

The Lamma
04-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Sugar and chili powder? Now there is a new idea... I should try that. Anything else you use? :P

Laerasyn
04-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Well, a little bit of salt and pepper is always good too. I've never been able to put my finger on exactly why a dash of sugar makes an omelette better, but trust me, it does. And the milk makes them fluffier. Onions and green peppers are a must, but I put lots of other stuff inside (y'know, standard omlette topping stuff). And if you're really in the mood for spicy, pepper-jack cheese in the middle. Otherwise just cheddar. Then you have yourself an omelette. ;D

The Lamma
04-28-2007, 04:36 PM
Pepper-jack cheese? Never heard of it. But I gotta try omelettes sometime again.

DarkestRose
04-28-2007, 04:36 PM
^That sounds good. :lick:

frymeskillet
04-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Breakfast? One word: Omlettes.
With every topping I can possibly scrounge out of the refrigerator. And just a little bit of milk, sugar, and chilli powder in the eggs. :lick:

I've never tried cooking an omelette, but that sounds really good.

As anyone ever heard of a breakfast creation called an "egg nest" or sometimes a "nest egg" ? It's a piece of bread with a hole cut out of the center (usually with a glass of some kind) and you cover the bread with butter and toast it on the skillet, then break an egg in the center (breaking the yolk) and flip it back and forth until the egg is done. Then you take the bread you cut out of the center and toast it the same way. Pick it up and eat it like a regular piece of toast! ...It's simple and easy, and it's tastes awesome too.

Of Course, the best thing to cook that is simple and easy is RAMEN NOODLES! I seriously never get tired of those chicken flavored (that really don't taste like chicken) little noodles...

Crap, now I'm hungry. ;D

I Bite
04-30-2007, 04:46 PM
I've never tried cooking an omelette, but that sounds really good.

As anyone ever heard of a breakfast creation called an "egg nest" or sometimes a "nest egg" ? It's a piece of bread with a hole cut out of the center (usually with a glass of some kind) and you cover the bread with butter and toast it on the skillet, then break an egg in the center (breaking the yolk) and flip it back and forth until the egg is done. Then you take the bread you cut out of the center and toast it the same way. Pick it up and eat it like a regular piece of toast! ...It's simple and easy, and it's tastes awesome too.

Of Course, the best thing to cook that is simple and easy is RAMEN NOODLES! I seriously never get tired of those chicken flavored (that really don't taste like chicken) little noodles...

Crap, now I'm hungry. ;D

I used to eat those Egg Nest things all the time!!! but i've gotten to this stage where i really don't like eggs unless they're smothered in salsa...
Something I absolutely love to make is Chicken Alfredo. I also like to grill Salmon...Usually when I grill salmon[not to be boastful] people tell me its the best they've ever eaten.

The Lamma
04-30-2007, 06:24 PM
I used to eat egg nests, but never called them that...What did I call them?

bob
04-30-2007, 06:26 PM
I used to eat egg nests, but never called them that...What did I call them?

Egg sandwhiches?

The Lamma
04-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Thats different. I think I got it out of a Starwars cookbook and it was called "twin suns" or something. (like Tatooine or whatever)

Laerasyn
05-01-2007, 12:43 PM
I called them something different too...
for some reason I'm thinking the term had something to do with the word "basket"... like "eggs in a basket" or something... does that help?

frymeskillet
05-01-2007, 03:02 PM
You might be thinking of Pigs in a Blanket! ;D Just Kidding. Which those are completely awesome too...I've never tried to cook those either.

bob
05-01-2007, 06:34 PM
I used to eat "birds nests" all the time when I was younger. If you fry bologna in a pan it pops up and forms a bowl and then you can put scrambled eggs in them. Also, a ham-egg sandwhich (that I thought of) is great. Fry a piece of ham, scramble the eggs, toast two slices of bread, combine them into a sandwhich, and enjoy!

frymeskillet
05-02-2007, 08:01 AM
mmmm....fried bologna...

I don't care what anyone says about it, I like bologna the best out of all sandwich meats...sure it makes your breath stink horribly, but hey, you're supposed to brush your teeth after every meal anyways!

zjf
05-03-2007, 01:30 AM
you can't beat Ramen. Its quick, easy to make, and is the main part of most college students diet.

I cook the broth in a separate bowl than the noodles. Makes it taste better. I also throw an egg in the broth and stir slowly so the egg picks up the flavor of the broth, but quickly enough that some of it dissolves and thickens the broth a bit. I also add Cayenne, Oregano, and Italian seasoning, plus pepper to taste. I like my ramen spicier, so I add more cayenne and pepper.

Depending on the flavor of the ramen I'll add different meats we have laying around the house. If it's a pork broth I'll throw bacon in it, chicken, I'll tear some chicken into small bits, cook it and put it in the broth, etc.

Then of course, strain the water from the noodles, put it in a bowl, pour the broth on top and enjoy.

DarkestRose
05-03-2007, 01:33 AM
Ramen is a culinary winner!

I Bite
05-03-2007, 10:13 AM
I used to eat "birds nests" all the time when I was younger. If you fry bologna in a pan it pops up and forms a bowl and then you can put scrambled eggs in them. Also, a ham-egg sandwhich (that I thought of) is great. Fry a piece of ham, scramble the eggs, toast two slices of bread, combine them into a sandwhich, and enjoy!

My brother puts bologna in the microwave for 30 seconds until it forms a bowl and then eats it with ketchup.
He's disgusting.

On a side note, I hate ramen. Unless its spicy. Spiciness is ramens saving grace.

The Lamma
05-03-2007, 05:54 PM
You might be thinking of Pigs in a Blanket!

I used to love those!!! I ate them all the time as a kid. (called 'em that, too)

Laerasyn
05-03-2007, 07:24 PM
My brother puts bologna in the microwave for 30 seconds until it forms a bowl and then eats it with ketchup.
He's disgusting.

On a side note, I hate ramen. Unless its spicy. Spiciness is ramens saving grace.

1) That is disgusting...
2) Yaaaaaaay another person on this world who hates ramen... I thought I was alone! ;D
3) Is there a packaged kind of ramen that's spicy that I don't know about, or are you referring to putting spices in it?

bob
05-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Ramen = cheap.

Cheap = love.

:. Ramen = love.

DarkestRose
05-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Ramen = cheap.

Cheap = love.

:. Ramen = love.

Profound Wisdom up there, Bob.

bob
05-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Logic is always my friend.

The Lamma
05-04-2007, 08:11 AM
What in the world is ramen?

NightCrawler
05-04-2007, 10:29 AM
What in the world is ramen?
A really easy to cook soup/noodle thing. It cooks in 3 minutes, and everything is pre-packaged. You need water, a pan, and a heat element. That's all.

The Lamma
05-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Oh, so like one of those noodle packages that kids sometimes eat as snacks?

I just ate great omelette. A spoonful of hot salsa, 2 spoons of enchilada sauce, some chili powder, cheddar cheese, ham, parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper, of course. It was pretty good.

eowyn
05-04-2007, 03:49 PM
I REALLYlike to cook! However, because of the way my dorms are set up, it's too much of a pain to cart everything down to cook.. plus, I'm crazy busy. However, WHEN I cook..

I LOVE to cook any sort of mexican/latin american food. I recently kicked butt and made 24! awesome empenadas** I used apple filling/cinamon and then made some raspberry jam ones.. top them with a little cinnamon/sugar mix and you are ready to roll.

I'm making taco soup with apple enchiladas for my friend's birthday this Sunday.. SOOO excited!

I basically like to learn how to cook anything I don't know how to make! I plan on cooking for my family.. plus, I'd rather screw up the food now, rather than when I have to cook for my in-laws!

I'm hoping to learn how to cook a nice Tai Curry this week.. mmmm

Food is one of the best ways to explore a culture!

Oh gosh. Now I'm STARVING!

*** If you aren't familiar with empenadas, they are little pies with some sort of filling.. you can use fruit, meat, etc.. sort of depends on where you order them.

The Lamma
05-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Sounds good. An easy meal is smoothies. :P