FromTheInside
04-16-2007, 09:05 AM
BLACKSBURG, Va. - A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech on Monday, killing 21 people in the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history. The gunman was killed but it was unclear if he was shot by police or took his own life

*story as of now* (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070416/ap_on_re_us/virginia_tech_shooting)

forceflow17
04-16-2007, 09:24 AM
that's messed up

timmyrotter
04-16-2007, 09:30 AM
wow... not the best news to wake up to.

FromTheInside
04-16-2007, 09:42 AM
Acording to CNN news the deathcount is now up to 32.

bob
04-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Yeah, its pretty depressing / frustrating. The families of the victims are definitely in my prayers.

timmyrotter
04-16-2007, 09:50 AM
yeah CBS confirms over 30 dead, two shootings.

Unregistered
04-16-2007, 10:14 AM
I admit being emotionally apathetic to the shooting, but my prayers are with the families of the victims anyway.

I kind of finding myself hoping they don't try to use this in a crusade against video games or music...

alienyouth9292
04-16-2007, 11:18 AM
sad....

DarkestRose
04-16-2007, 11:25 AM
That is so horrible and depressing beyond my ability to word. And it's just a few days before the eighth commemoration of Columbine (April 20). We should all keep the families of the victims, as well as the other students who were likely friends or acquaintences of the victims in our prayers.

The Lamma
04-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Wow...That is freaky. I'll definitely be praying...

riz
04-16-2007, 01:05 PM
April tends to be a magnet for these sort of events unfortunately. So sad...

dawn of light
04-16-2007, 02:12 PM
I just read that the death count is at 33 and that the gunman took his own life.

Hearing about this kind of thing always makes me cry!

April tends to be a magnet for these sort of events unfortunately. So sad...
The stress of exam time?? [are US-university finals in April also?]

riz
04-16-2007, 02:18 PM
I wouldn't put it down to stress over exams.

Columbine will have occurred in a few days' time; but the Oklahoma City bombings also happened in the same month. It just seems some of the very major incidents like this happen around April.

Voice of Truth
04-16-2007, 02:27 PM
I pray that this situation as hard as it is for all of us to comprehend, be a way for the families involved to seek God.

I cannot comprehend the gravity of the situation. I cannot begin to explain it. The survivors and the family members left behind are all in my prayers. I just ask that God would use this situation to his glory, that others may seek him out in this time of need.

timmyrotter
04-16-2007, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't put it down to stress over exams.

Columbine will have occurred in a few days' time; but the Oklahoma City bombings also happened in the same month. It just seems some of the very major incidents like this happen around April.

hitler's birthday is 4/20, and most of us know that is national drug use day.

DarkestRose
04-16-2007, 02:35 PM
I knew it was Hitler's birthday. I did not know about national drug day.

But anyway, I don't think Columbine and this event correlate in any way. It's just depressing because I always remember Columbine and it's despairing to have another shooting happen during the same month, in the same week.

alienyouth9292
04-16-2007, 02:43 PM
the second batch of shootings should have never happened.....

V-Ball Queen 32
04-16-2007, 03:17 PM
This is also the worst in U.S. history. It's terrible

DarkestRose
04-16-2007, 03:21 PM
There never should have been a first. It used to be that such an idea was unheard of and now there's just another, and another...

I Bite
04-16-2007, 04:40 PM
the second batch of shootings should have never happened.....

Neither should have the first, but I do agree with you.
Campus admin and staff should have done much, much more than an email.

The Lamma
04-16-2007, 05:18 PM
...And another. Some people connect it to violent video games. It could quite be connected to drugs. But I think the biggest culprit is depression, which often brings in drugs, suicidals, violent gamers, ect...

DarkestRose
04-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Depression is very common though, and there are a lot of people who have depression and do not hurt anybody. I don’t think the cause it going to be so simplistic.

bob
04-16-2007, 06:31 PM
TIt used to be that such an idea was unheard of

No action is unheard of. Didn't Nazi Germany prove to us the atrocities mankind can do?

The Lamma
04-16-2007, 06:39 PM
I don’t think the cause it going to be so simplistic.

Very true. But a ton of depression can lead to that. Some depressed people become suicidal or at least cutters (I didn't say all. I said some) And some suicidals to take down as many as they can with them. I read a book about a couple of kids in that point of view, and its scary truth.

riz
04-16-2007, 06:42 PM
But anyway, I don't think Columbine and this event correlate in any way.

I don't either. I just made note of the fact that they happened around the same time of year.

DarkestRose
04-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Very true. But a ton of depression can lead to that. Some depressed people become suicidal or at least cutters (I didn't say all. I said some) And some suicidals to take down as many as they can with them. I read a book about a couple of kids in that point of view, and its scary truth.

More factors would have to contribute than depression--->suicide--->mass murder. This is more than a chemical imbalance or difficult circumstances at work.

The Lamma
04-16-2007, 07:05 PM
What is it, then? Brain washing? Some evil dude taking over their mind?

DarkestRose
04-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Anger, hatred, unforgiveness.

People don't just decide that because they're depressed on the verge of suicide, they're going to murder. There are greater works in the soul than that. To state otherwise is to stigmatize the mentally ill as violent.

The Lamma
04-16-2007, 07:10 PM
Depression is often a key factor, though, that when mixed with the said above can cause it. Though sometimes it may not be depression at all, I guess...And don't say that demons possessed them - often depressed people let the demons in! But I don't fully understand myself. :S

bob
04-16-2007, 07:12 PM
Why can't it be something irrational? Humans are very capable of being rash. I mean, if a woman can drive halfway across the country in a diaper . . .

The Lamma
04-16-2007, 07:13 PM
A diaper? Wha?

DarkestRose
04-16-2007, 07:13 PM
.And don't say that demons possessed them - often depressed people let the demons in! But I don't fully understand myself. :S

What? :-\

The Lamma
04-16-2007, 07:15 PM
I'm just thinking about that book I referred to before...The guys got possessed by demons which 'helped' them do it.

DarkestRose
04-16-2007, 07:16 PM
That is completely different from mental illness. Mental illness is no more correlated to demon possession than cancer or diabetes. Depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, OCD, etc. all are biological brain illnesses.

What book is this anyway?

bob
04-16-2007, 07:17 PM
A diaper? Wha?

You should pay more attention to the news. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Nowak)

But anyway, my point is that it could be a million reasons and arguments over speculations are very foolish. Just wait until the official report is released and then argue over that. :P

The Lamma
04-16-2007, 07:21 PM
I didn't say ANYTHING about mental illness. And I'm trying to remember the author...

And Bob, I'm not a news guy. Never fun stuff there. And official report about which?

DarkestRose
04-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Depression is a mental illness.

bob
04-16-2007, 07:24 PM
And Bob, I'm not a news guy. Never fun stuff there. And official report about which?

News isn't about being "fun and enjoyable" its about being aware so you aren't left with your mouth hanging open when an event happens.

The official investigative report about the situation or at least until we know more about it. So far all you two are doing is speculating, wait for some solid facts to come out and then argue over that. :P

The Lamma
04-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Depression is a mental illness.

Thats a lie. Trust me. The FDA and drug companies are out for your cash. Seriously. Kevin Trudeau (I think thats how you spell his last name?) talks about it a lot in his books, and its scary. Ever heard of Big Brother? He's encountered a real life version. Its freaky.

...Anyways...The news is kinda there to tell you bad stuff, not the good. I'm not wanting badness to disappear by not watching it, but I prefer to keep a healthy intake...

DarkestRose
04-16-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm not interested in speculating. I just don't like mental illness being used as an excuse for violence. Mentally ill people can be violent, but mental illness does not cause violence.

The Lamma
04-16-2007, 07:32 PM
Like I said, I'm not connecting anything to mental illness to it, assuming depression isn't. (I should get you those book titles if you want to read it for yourself)

bob
04-16-2007, 07:34 PM
Just becaus a book states it doesn't make it true.

The Lamma
04-16-2007, 07:36 PM
Then don't believe half the stuff you do. And this book is fact.

DarkestRose
04-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Thats a lie. Trust me. The FDA and drug companies are out for your cash. Seriously. Kevin Trudeau (I think thats how you spell his last name?) talks about it a lot in his books, and its scary. Ever heard of Big Brother? He's encountered a real life version. Its freaky.

...Anyways...The news is kinda there to tell you bad stuff, not the good. I'm not wanting badness to disappear by not watching it, but I prefer to keep a healthy intake...

People have been diagnosed with depression long before pharmaceutical drugs were available. It used to be called melancholia instead of depression. Back in the late 1800s Kraepelin kept a log of the depressive symptoms back when he was studying what would later be called manic-depressive illness. Depression has been treated long before drugs for it came out.

The Lamma
04-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Tell me then, why is depression triggered by oneself, and why does literally every teen gone through it? Why has most people who gone through it gotten over it without drugs?? I'm gonna look up melancholia...

DarkestRose
04-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Drugs may not be needed in every instance in order to cure depression anymore than drugs are needed everytime to cure a cold. Many advocates for the mentally ill believe that drugs are not the best treatment for mental illness, or are overused. But the ability to heal without drugs does not mean that depression is any less of a real disease.

The Lamma
04-16-2007, 07:43 PM
I find this line in Wikilpedia interesting... "Similarly, melancholia in ancient usage also encompassed mental disorders which would later be differentiated as schizophrenias or bipolar disorders."

The Lamma
04-16-2007, 07:46 PM
I find this line quite interesting, too... "This engraving portrays melancholia as the state of waiting for inspiration to strike, and not necessarily as a depressive affliction.""

I'll respond tomorrow.

DarkestRose
04-16-2007, 07:50 PM
There is a difference between a depressed mood and clinical depression. Not every instance of suicide or cutting is due to clinical depression. Not everyone who says they struggle with depression has been diagnosed. Or diagnosis could be increased due to increased awareness of the disease.

Depression often happens to be a hereditary disease. The more people you’re related to who have the disease, the more likely you are to develop the disease. Changed levels of the neurotransmitters norepinephrine, serotonin, and dopamine have also been noted. Some people have a seasonal affective disorder, which means they only experience depression during certain seasons (usually winter) and it is believed that the body’s ability to produce melatonin is suspect. But by now we even have brain scans of the effects of depression on the brain (decreased activity).

DarkestRose
04-16-2007, 07:53 PM
I find this line in Wikilpedia interesting... "Similarly, melancholia in ancient usage also encompassed mental disorders which would later be differentiated as schizophrenias or bipolar disorders."

Schizophrenia used to be called dementia praecox, which means early dementia (Alzheimers is an example of dementia). Being able to differentiate diseases doesn't mean they aren't real. Medical definitions are often revised, which is how medical science gets smarter and smarter.

DarkestRose
04-16-2007, 07:59 PM
I find this line quite interesting, too... "This engraving portrays melancholia as the state of waiting for inspiration to strike, and not necessarily as a depressive affliction.""

I'll respond tomorrow.

That was some guy's opinion in a piece of art, like someone's opinion portrayed in a movie today.

And take in mind that this was when we were still dealing with the four humours as reasons for these illnesses, a hundred years behind the medical research we have now.

And I might add that many Christians feel harshly judged by the church for needing antidepressants to treat their depression the way diabetics need insulin to treat their disease. Christians who struggle with depression are often told that the disease is actually spiritual weakness, which is an example of Christians shooting their wounded.

alienyouth9292
04-17-2007, 03:56 AM

yea....my mom has all his books.

timmyrotter
04-17-2007, 09:04 AM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a196/timmyrotter/capt_2f60ccbbe9304d3e873c1e2abdeab6.jpg

the face of the killer...
this was completely preventable.
1. depression
2. creative writing was so disturbing that he was reffered to a counselor.
3. increased violent and erratic behavior prior to the shooting.
4. he has only been in the US for 14 years.

lets ignore the warning signs...

bob
04-17-2007, 09:40 AM
this was completely preventable.

Virginia Tech currently has 28,470 enrolled students. There can't be someone looking out for everyone. Sometimes its up to the person to get help for him/herself. As cruel as it sounds, you can't look out for everyone. Yes, it was preventable, but the blame can't lie soley on the student's peers.

University spokesman Larry Hincker called Cho a "loner" and said university officials were having a hard time finding information about him. For example, Virginia Tech students of Korean descent report that Cho rarely joined in the activities of Korean campus clubs.

The kid obviously isolated himself, so all his lonliness was self-inflicted. Yes, I know I'm probably simplifying the problem.

As for the creative writings that he had written, yes, I'd consider that a breakdown in the counseling department.

The Lamma
04-17-2007, 10:52 AM
I just realized that the book I was talking about did mention depression as a disease...Whoops to me, lol. I think the book actually said its not very curable by drugs...Along with most other drugs. But thats a different subject...

But I also like to think of depression as 'lack of joy' or whatnot. Oh, and I pulled both of those two quotes from Wikipedia. :P

Nothing is completely preventable. Was the holocaust preventable?

riz
04-17-2007, 11:11 AM
4. he has only been in the US for 14 years.

Fourteen years, not fourteen weeks. This point seems a bit invalid.

alienyouth9292
04-17-2007, 11:45 AM
ha! this guy is South Korean, and my best friend is South Korean....whenever my friend found out at school today, our whole class just stared at him....lol

bob
04-17-2007, 12:53 PM
ha! this guy is South Korean, and my best friend is South Korean....whenever my friend found out at school today, our whole class just stared at him....lol

Kudos for stereotyping.

alienyouth9292
04-17-2007, 01:27 PM
check out these plays this guy wrote....twisted. http://newsbloggers.aol.com/2007/04/17/cho-seung-huis-plays/

bob
04-17-2007, 01:48 PM
If those actually were his plays they were poorly written. But I know that's not the point.

riz
04-17-2007, 02:13 PM

That is what pisses me off. If it was a normal Caucasian student, male, around the same page, it would not be happening. One person, who just so happened to be of Korean descent, decides to go on a rampage; that doesn't make all Koreans like that. It's the same with every other race, ethnicity, every other segment of the population.

Of course the media picks up on it, that he was South Korean, makes that be the first description about him. It fans the flames.

FromTheInside
04-17-2007, 02:34 PM
That is what pisses me off. If it was a normal Caucasian student, male, around the same page, it would not be happening. One person, who just so happened to be of Korean descent, decides to go on a rampage; that doesn't make all Koreans like that. It's the same with every other race, ethnicity, every other segment of the population.

I'm agree with this is the strognest sense of the word.
I get sick when people generalize about things like this.

alienyouth9292
04-17-2007, 03:07 PM
i really wasn't meaning it in a serious way. my friend just laughed about it and said in a joking way "I have nothing to do with this"....

timmyrotter
04-17-2007, 03:19 PM

Of course the media picks up on it, that he was South Korean, makes that be the first description about him. It fans the flames.

i have nothing against asians... my statement regarding a warning sign was that he wasnt born in the US, stands. why wouldnt that be a warning sign for any crime? im not saying this was an act of terrorism by any means, but the fact that someone immigrated here should be one thing to watch for in prevention of crimes. not to say we should shun LEGAL immigrants, but in a case like this, I BELIEVE it should have held some credibility.

The Lamma
04-17-2007, 04:16 PM
I only read the introduction, not the plays, and wow. If only that kid knew a way to help him...

bob
04-17-2007, 06:13 PM
If only that kid knew a way to help him...

Its not that they didn't know, its that they didn't want to offend the kid or "make him go off" so they ignored it which obviously fixed things well. Other warning signs include the fact that he had lit fire to his dorm room twice before, that would have at least sent off some whistles or something in my mind.

mk kid
04-18-2007, 01:57 PM
the thing that gets me is everyone is shifting toward what was his motives. i could really care less someone had to have known something with him. evreyone on the news keeps talking about him being a loner. the point is this, it happened. i dont care if he was asian or korean or what, it pisses me off that this occurred. and yet still he had to have shown signs that something was wrong.i am a commuinication major at college and this was a failure of communication at its deadliest.

bob
04-18-2007, 03:11 PM
someone had to have known something with him.

Not necessarily. The kid was very reclusive, yes, he had shown some erratic behavior in the past but everyone figured "hey, if I don't bother him, he won't bother me." So he was isolated further which increased his hatred, it’s a vicious cycle.

FromTheInside
04-18-2007, 08:46 PM
The killer returned to brandish his weapons one more time and speak, surreally, from the grave.

His eyes seemed heavy-lidded, his voice dull, his words a rambling monotone of bitterness and hate. It may have been Cho Seung-Hui's intention to explain the motivation for the horror he would unleash, but the video that aired Wednesday night on NBC News actually offered a glimpse into his soul.

"You have vandalized my heart, raped my soul and torched my conscience," he said into the camera, looking down occasionally to read from his manifesto. "You thought it was one pathetic boy's life you were extinguishing. Thanks to you, I die like Jesus Christ, to inspire generations of the weak and the defenseless people."

By the time the 23-year-old student had videotaped his suicide message, he knew what was to come. He hoped that a stunned and grieving nation would listen, riveted, to his words.

"I didn't have to do this. I could have left. I could have fled," he said. "But no, I will no longer run."

"It's not for me. For my children, for my brothers and sisters. ... I did it for them."

What was he running from? Of whom did he speak? Was it a last cry of help, or a last show of hate? What was Cho thinking when he compared himself to Jesus? What was he thinking when he glared into the camera and addressed a nation that would still be burying its dead?

The sullen loner known as "the question mark kid" by some classmates — because he entered a question mark instead of his name on a class signup sheet one day — left his audience with more questions than answers. Questions about killers, and loners, and delusions of martyrdom.

Incongruously, Cho grinned in some sections of his video. Leaning against a car window, his black baseball cap worn backwards, he almost looked like any normal student.

But then there were the photos — of him grimly pointing two guns at the camera, holding a gun to his temple, wielding a hammer with two hands.

And, always, the invective flowed.

"You had a hundred billion chances and ways to have avoided today," he said. "But you decided to spill my blood. You forced me into a corner and gave me only one option. The decision was yours. Now you have blood on your hands that will never wash off."

The target of his hatred was fellow students at Virginia Tech, where Cho massacred 32 people Monday.

"Your Mercedes wasn't enough, you brats," he said. "Your golden necklaces weren't enough you snobs. Your trust funds wasn't enough. Your vodka and cognac wasn't enough. All your debaucheries weren't enough. Those weren't enough to fulfill your hedonistic needs. You had everything."

Cho, it seems, had nothing.

He had no friends, no normal college life, no reason to live.

Just a death wish.

And a desire to show the whole world his disturbed heart.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/1001CrazyBobs/Linked%20images/5786856876.jpg

*Source* (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070419/ap_on_re_us/virginia_tech_killer_speaks)

KrazGrl2482
04-19-2007, 04:45 AM
I live 30 minutes from Va. Tech. This has hit the Roanoke Valley pretty hard as well as it has Blacksburg, and neighboring cities and schools across the nation.:'(

bob
04-19-2007, 06:17 AM
I think its pretty irresponsible for NBC to be running those clips of him.

bob
04-19-2007, 09:40 AM
From Yahoo (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/virginia_tech_shooting;_ylt=ArKNeL57ByClmWu6gLkGp6 Gs0NUE):

Long before he boiled over, Virginia Tech gunman Cho Seung-Hui was picked on, pushed around and laughed at over his shyness and the strange way he talked when he was a schoolboy in the Washington suburbs, former classmates say.

Chris Davids, a Virginia Tech senior who graduated from Westfield High School in Chantilly, Va., with Cho in 2003, recalled that the South Korean immigrant almost never opened his mouth and would ignore attempts to strike up a conversation.

Once, in English class, the teacher had the students read aloud, and when it was Cho's turn, he just looked down in silence, Davids recalled. Finally, after the teacher threatened him with an F for participation, Cho started to read in a strange, deep voice that sounded "like he had something in his mouth," Davids said.

"As soon as he started reading, the whole class started laughing and pointing and saying, `Go back to China,'" Davids said

alienyouth9292
04-19-2007, 11:16 AM
wow....

The Lamma
04-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Bob, Cho actually mailed a package (which included the tapes) to the president of NBC inbetween the two shootings of his. I also heard that he had previously gone to some place for suicide watch.

bob
04-19-2007, 01:02 PM
I know about the mailed tapes, which is why I mentioned that it was irresponsible of NBC to air them.

But my point is that the kid was provoked to some extent, he was obviously picked on by his peers and that only fueled his hatred.

alienyouth9292
04-19-2007, 01:54 PM
still, thats noo excuse for killing 32 innocent people!

FromTheInside
04-19-2007, 01:57 PM

Extremely true.
But it gives us a motivation as to why he snapped.

bob
04-19-2007, 03:47 PM

Obviously he thought otherwise.

timmyrotter
04-19-2007, 03:56 PM
oh well... im just glad he is dead cause if not, the US justice system would probably let him off after mental treatment for 15 years.

KrazGrl2482
04-19-2007, 04:09 PM
i wish they would have locked him up in Marion (Va States Mental Hospital) last year.

timmyrotter
04-19-2007, 04:13 PM
i wish they would have locked him up in Marion (Va States Mental Hospital) last year.

yeah but life is full of "what ifs" there is no sense in dwelling in the past. you have to make the best of what you have, no matter how terrible it is. dwelling on the past only brings pain.

alienyouth9292
04-19-2007, 04:25 PM
true.

bob
04-19-2007, 07:04 PM
oh well... im just glad he is dead cause if not, the US justice system would probably let him off after mental treatment for 15 years.

Sadly, there's truth to that.

SlitWrist
04-20-2007, 04:49 AM
woot for 4/20 my b-day but still he was a pathedic shallow of a man to do somethin like that i am just afraid of how there gonna blame the reason for him doin it...

bob
04-20-2007, 06:46 AM
[QUOTE=SlitWrist;341281]he was a pathedic shallow of a man to do somethin like that

I think it was more out of desperation than anything. People who have bipolar have a million thoughts going through their head and mixed with being teased and picked on by his peers, it was a deadly combination.

The Lamma
04-20-2007, 07:22 AM
I know about the mailed tapes, which is why I mentioned that it was irresponsible of NBC to air them.

But my point is that the kid was provoked to some extent, he was obviously picked on by his peers and that only fueled his hatred.

I think he wanted it aired. And have you read that article that Jesse posted the link for? The guy who wrote it tried to befriend him, along with some other people, but he just ignored them.

alienyouth9292
04-20-2007, 03:37 PM
the killer wanted nothing to do with people or life itself, so he took both away from him.....:(

The Lamma
04-20-2007, 04:20 PM
And he got what he wanted...which is sad. Especially to know what fate he has met at the other end... I wish that there wasn't such a place to even think about, but alas, there is.

DarkestRose
04-20-2007, 04:27 PM
Do we know if anybody ever tried to reach out him? They mentioned that he was a loner. Did anybody try to befriend him? Did any Christians ever try to love him?

Maxdude360
04-20-2007, 04:35 PM
yes his roomates did, they tried talking to him but he would either not respond, or whisper very quietly to them

alienyouth9292
04-20-2007, 05:12 PM
when signing up for his classes, he would put a "?" in place of his name.....thats just horrible.

Maxdude360
04-20-2007, 06:14 PM
ya thats wat he called himself. he would answer everything saying like this is question mark. and thats wat he wrote as his name on everything

dawn of light
04-20-2007, 07:26 PM
I think it was more out of desperation than anything. People who have bipolar have a million thoughts going through their head and mixed with being teased and picked on by his peers, it was a deadly combination.
Probably a bit of bipolar mixed with antisocial personality disorder.

DarkestRose
04-20-2007, 07:52 PM

Sounds about right.

FromTheInside
04-21-2007, 08:58 AM

Being bipolar doesn't make you go ballistic.
Nor does being antisocial.

[/end]

The Lamma
04-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Do we know if anybody ever tried to reach out him? They mentioned that he was a loner. Did anybody try to befriend him? Did any Christians ever try to love him?

There was that link to an article posted by one of his classmates who talked about that.

DarkestRose
04-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Being bipolar doesn't make you go ballistic.
Nor does being antisocial.

Antisocial personality disorder is different than being antisocial in the loner/secluded sense. Antisocial personality disorder is chacteristic by a lack of follow social rules and social norms, acting impulsively and showing indifference to the feelings of others. So people with the disorder may be habitual liars or frequently steal, be violent or aggressive toward others, etc. and they show a lack of remorse for it all. It's different than being an "antisocial" loner.

True about bipolar disorder though. It's wouldn't be the cause for what he did.

john316
04-21-2007, 11:01 AM
We got a call from my daughter thursday...her campus was on lock down because of a bomb threat. Turned out the suspicious box was just a box of papers. We also had a local high school close early on because of a threat written on the restroom wall.

These are really crazy times.

The Lamma
04-21-2007, 11:10 AM
That is crazy. Sometimes after that kinda stuff people get overly cautious. You couldn't do anything after 9/11!!

theelectric3
04-21-2007, 01:55 PM
wow.. that is crazy John.

i think we need balance as a nation. we should be "wise as servants and gentle as doves." don't be soooo naive due to the world and very real threats that are alive and well.

at the same time, don't let horrific events been the determining factor on our security policies. how about we get smart about it before anything happens?

Maxdude360
04-21-2007, 04:03 PM
wow theres an idea lol. that seriously is wat we need to do but we cant seem to....

dawn of light
04-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Antisocial personality disorder is different than being antisocial in the loner/secluded sense. Antisocial personality disorder is chacteristic by a lack of follow social rules and social norms, acting impulsively and showing indifference to the feelings of others. So people with the disorder may be habitual liars or frequently steal, be violent or aggressive toward others, etc. and they show a lack of remorse for it all. It's different than being an "antisocial" loner.

True about bipolar disorder though. It's wouldn't be the cause for what he did.
Yes, exactly it's a personality disorder, not a personality trait. Someone with antosocial personality disorder was previously called a sociopath and before that, a psychopath. It's actually caused by an underreactive nervous system, they need a lot more stimulation than a regular person to feel anything, emotionally. A lot of well known serial killers had antisocial personality disorder.

And no, I didn't mean that being bipolar causes people to do something like that. There's a difference between correlation and causation.