PlayAtari2600
04-16-2007, 09:53 AM
Wow, I can't believe nobody has posted this yet.....
I went to BattleCry in Detroit this weekend, and Skillet had opened with "Whispers in the Dark" when suddenly John turned and said "And now we're going to have the world premiere of our new music video for our song 'Looking for Angels'".
AND IT WAS SWEET!

I have to say Looking for Angels is not exactly in high-rotation when I listen to "Comatose", but the music video made me really like the song. It was better than the "Rebirthing" and "Whispers" videos, and of course better than "Older I Get".

What surprised me was that this was an actual music video, professionally shot and everything. It featured shots of the band all playing the song on an outdoor/indoor location, and during the verses it showed John talking and looking at the camera, and I'm sure the ladies will love that. In between it would show shots of poverty-stricken children or other terrible things along that line. Very excellent music video.

No, they didn't say whether or not the song was their next single(I would be very shocked if it was), and they didn't say if it was going to be posted or when it was going to be revealed to the public. But since there was 35,000 people there, they probably figured that was a good time for the world premiere.

So overall, an excellent music video that makes you appreciate the song more, and I'm surprised nobody else has posted it on here in an excited flurry.

timmyrotter
04-16-2007, 09:56 AM
why didnt you leave a link?

and the song will not be their next single.

timmyrotter
04-16-2007, 09:59 AM
here is a link to a not so good version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEYCcJ7a8OA

PlayAtari2600
04-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Why didn't I leave a link?
Better question:
Why did you post that link? That link leads to a terrible, simply terrible shaky recording of two screens at BattleCry but you can't even tell what the video is doing. You just hear some of the song, in bad audio, and then get a lot of white flashes and the occasional shot of John. Plus it's only half the song.

I would wait until the actual video gets released soon. I just watched that video recording of it, and trust me, it's worth waiting.

timmyrotter
04-16-2007, 12:23 PM
Why didn't I leave a link?
Better question:
Why did you post that link? That link leads to a terrible, simply terrible shaky recording of two screens at BattleCry but you can't even tell what the video is doing. You just hear some of the song, in bad audio, and then get a lot of white flashes and the occasional shot of John. Plus it's only half the song.

I would wait until the actual video gets released soon. I just watched that video recording of it, and trust me, it's worth waiting.

i wasnt meaning to offend you. i was merely stating that usually when someone starts a thread about a video, or audio clip, they have a link to the video/audio file. it makes sense doesnt it? since you didnt, i found one, albeit crappy. but it was the only one i found without spending a lot of time doing it, honestly i dont like the song, much less a video for the song so i found one that people could at least see the video in some form.

Joelle
04-16-2007, 12:48 PM
they need to put a link for that out soon. i'm so excited!!! i can't believe of all the videos they chose looking for angels though..interesting pick. YAY!

theelectric3
04-17-2007, 07:57 PM
awesome. 8) i'll hold out for the better copy (but if i get a bit impatient i'll click timmy's link - thanks timmy!).

i really like the song so i am curious as to how they captured it in a video.

bob
04-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Why didn't John tell me they were making a video? I feel insulted. ::]

Tanel
04-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Really looking forward to seeing it!

The Lamma
04-20-2007, 09:48 AM
why didnt you leave a link?

Most probably since it isn't out yet...

And I can't wait, especially if it makes the song much better.

timmyrotter
04-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Most probably since it isn't out yet...

And I can't wait, especially if it makes the song much better.

llama, i left a link, it sucks. but if you are really desperate.

Shattered_Life
04-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Ooh I can't wait to see it. It sounds awesome.

The Lamma
04-20-2007, 02:39 PM
LAMMA!! :P And did I say I was desperate? Lol

BarlowgIRL
04-21-2007, 07:36 PM
well you ARE called llama......;)

V-Ball Queen 32
04-21-2007, 10:05 PM
I didn't see the crappy one yet . . .waiting till the nice one comes out. I guess since that's their least popular song they're trying to promote it or something. Personally, I don't mind it, it just sounds different from the rest of them or something, I guess.

Can't wait though:).

unshakeable15
04-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Who says it's their least popular song? Does that matter anyway? They've already used it in conjunction with with ONE campaign (check out www.one.org specifically the player on the bottom right), so it would make sense they do more with this song than just let it sit on the album for people to find as they will.

JohnnyRocker
04-22-2007, 08:29 PM
I don't remember who it was for sure, but I think Compassion payed for the video to use it as a way to raise awareness about poverty and stuff like that. Teen Mania produced it.

DarkestRose
04-22-2007, 08:36 PM
So is it released for people to see yet? If not, will it be?

theelectric3
05-01-2007, 07:04 PM
i second mike... once again he took the words out of my mouth... you seem to be good at that. :P

timmyrotter
05-01-2007, 08:20 PM
i second mike... once again he took the words out of my mouth... you seem to be good at that. :P

its definitely their most experimental song, but who can say its the worst? nobody knows.

DarkestRose
05-01-2007, 08:21 PM
:shrugs: It's my favorite from Comatose. So, I guess, to each his own on favorite songs?

zeroneff
05-02-2007, 04:39 AM
Looks like they put some sort of story in it like Savior

theelectric3
05-02-2007, 12:28 PM
its definitely their most experimental song, but who can say its the worst? nobody knows.

yeah, and that's what i respect most about it. they are still willing to experiment with their sound.

Quadripedman
05-02-2007, 12:47 PM
yeah, and that's what i respect most about it. they are still willing to experiment with their sound.

yeap. they almost never sound the same, which can be good or bad depending... ::]

JenniferAnn
05-02-2007, 12:59 PM
In History and Religion classes today we were talking about the state of things, and i have to admit i'm pretty discouraged. I managed to connect "Looking For Angels" with the discussions though, and it made me feel a bit better (partly because it's Skillet, and anytime i think of the band it makes me smile) and because i know that we can make a difference. Needless to say, more discussions were held and whatnot. But yeah, i love this song, 'cause lately i've been thinking of how much hate there is in this world, and how the love that's out there is never as well-known, and how people who care can make a change. I dunno, it pretty much just summed up the thoughts i've had lately, and it means a lot to me. I can't wait to see the video when it's out.

unshakeable15
05-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Your very welcome. ;D

I'm not a huge fan of this song (I've never been a fan of spoken word), but i totally dig the message behind it.

Yet even that message seems a bit hollow when you get to lines like "I've been a savior to some kids i'll never meet / Sent a check in the mail to buy them something to eat." Sending money to some faraway place is great, but i heard someone talk recently (or maybe i read it?) about how we tend to send money to "someplace else" and then feel we've done our duty. Instead, we're told to be "angels" everywhere we go. It's much more impactful when you help people you can see, not just for them, but for you as well.

Again, i do love the message behind the song, but i wish John would have spent more time on the solution than a couple lines about sending a check in the mail or "a smile, a touch..." My peeve, and i can get over it, but i thought i'd bring it up for a bit of discussion. :) What does everyone else think?

DarkestRose
05-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Shane Claiborne mentioned in Irresistible Revolution about how some people do have a tendency to think sending a check is duty done. I read another book that said the same thing, so it's not an original concept. And I do agree that we need to do more than that because having direct contact with people really affects them.

I guess I saw the song as wanting to discuss the issues and inspire initiative to "change the world," but it's not a thorough guide of how to.

unshakeable15
05-09-2007, 01:18 PM
True. I guess i'm afraid some people will think of it as one.

Paulishdog
05-09-2007, 09:46 PM
I don't think John's trying to inspire people to feel they've done their duty. I think he's trying to hook people to the infectious track. Do this little thing. Do that little thing. It's so easy... and each little thing leads to a bigger and better thing... a check in the mail is good the first time. But it starts to feel dull. After a few months, or years, you may pick up one of those newsletters they send you and really wonder what it's like in Africa. Do you see where I'm going with this?

It all starts at the beginning. It all starts small. Keep John's target audience in mind. These are people that see only hopelessness in the world, because they haven't taken that first step.

unshakeable15
05-13-2007, 06:18 PM
I don't think John was trying to get people hooked on small "good rushes" so they will then move onto bigger and bigger fixes. Honestly, i have never experienced doing good in that way. When i do what's right, i'm happy. I don't think "Hmm, this feels good. I bet if i do even more, bigger things, i'll feel even better!" How many people who give to WorldVision eventually travel to the Philippines, Africa, India or any other place in which 'their' child lives? Probably a small percentage.

However, i do think he's trying to get people to look around for opportunities, small and large. My 'fear' is that people will be unimaginative and only see the things spoken of in the song as opportunities.

DarkestRose
05-14-2007, 12:44 AM
I don't think John was trying to get people hooked on small "good rushes" so they will then move onto bigger and bigger fixes. Honestly, i have never experienced doing good in that way. When i do what's right, i'm happy. I don't think "Hmm, this feels good. I bet if i do even more, bigger things, i'll feel even better!" How many people who give to WorldVision eventually travel to the Philippines, Africa, India or any other place in which 'their' child lives? Probably a small percentage.

However, i do think he's trying to get people to look around for opportunities, small and large. My 'fear' is that people will be unimaginative and only see the things spoken of in the song as opportunities.

I never got the concept of good feelings or fixes from good deeds either.

Maybe that's why it would be a good song to talk to people about so that people could see the "bigger picture" if they have no creative sense to speak of. I was a little underwhelmed by the concept of just "giving a check in the mail" which takes, like, a minute. But then again, society, especially the teenage variety, is becoming so apathetic to others that it's nice to have anything that inspires them to do something.

bob
05-14-2007, 07:06 AM
Maybe . . . it's just a song with a positive message. :)

bubblesemm
05-14-2007, 10:39 AM
i think that he was just trying to tell us to wakeup and do something helpful/useful with our lives.

BattleWornPages
05-23-2007, 10:07 PM
At first I didn't particularly care for the song, that is, the first time I heard it. It just seemed so unlike the music skillet normally puts out, that I didn't like it too much, but then, I listened to the song again, and instead of listening to the music style, I listened to the words, and I think that of the songs on the Comatose CD, it probably has one of the best messages of them all. As far as messages go, I would rank the best message in a song on this CD from Comatose, and then second would have to be a tie between Looking For Angels and Whispers in the Dark.

aliensoul_squire20
05-24-2007, 05:48 PM
I found a good video of the official music video! here ya go! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=STIv7yItkYc)

I REALLY LOVE this video! It's amazing! Man, Skillet's making lots of videos from Comatose Maybe they'll pass the 3 video number from the self-titled album ;D

bob
05-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Good find man. The video is pretty much what I'd expect for a video to that song. :)

bob
05-24-2007, 06:27 PM
That music video has a closeup on John's mouth. I'm glad to see he got his teeth fixed. That always made me laugh in the Alien Youth video. :P

terrasin
05-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Gotta say, I think it's the best video they have done. Very well produced.

It even shows his newly strait teeth. Gotta wonder if that was on purpose. ;)

CJ

theelectric3
05-24-2007, 06:39 PM
excellent. very well done.

DarkestRose
05-24-2007, 06:52 PM
This is my favorite Skillet video.

Also, Bob, what's up with people and John's teeth from the AY video?

Crusader
05-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Sweet video, but did anyone else think the hand motion things were in too much excess? Like when he is not holding the bass and clenching alot lol, besides that awesome vid.

bob
05-24-2007, 07:07 PM
Also, Bob, what's up with people and John's teeth from the AY video?

Have you ever seen the video? Just watch the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyfJgxAxq8w) and wait for the close up of John's mouth. You'll see.

DarkestRose
05-24-2007, 07:12 PM
I know what they look like, but I always liked his teeth. I thought it was a neat characteristic.

Of course, I like the AY video and the song "Whirlwind."

bob
05-24-2007, 07:14 PM
I actually like the AY video. John was the one who hated it. :P

DarkestRose
05-24-2007, 07:15 PM
I know he hated it, but why? Because other people didn't like it? Did he say why?

bob
05-24-2007, 07:18 PM
Here's what John had to say in an email like 3 years ago. It can be seen in this thread (http://www.panheads.org/boards/showthread.php?t=3&page=13&pp=15).

*I'm now happy to say (since it's been two years) that we never again
want to see the “Alien Youth” video. Let's be honest ...that video
stunk like dog. So far in my career, it's the only thing I'm utterly
ashamed of. Anyway, we shot a new video (Savior) that rocks! It surely
rivals our “Best Kept Secret” video and I even like it better. It's
hard to make videos that can compare to the two or three hundred thousand
dollar videos that you see on MTV, but this video looks expensive!
The video will be released October 7th on Action House TV.

DarkestRose
05-24-2007, 07:22 PM
He still doesn't say why. I mean, the AY video looked heavily animated but it had a sort of Matrix/Blade Runner thing going on.

I've always hated that John didn't like the video--or at least that he says so--because I feel awkward about liking it. It's really stupid, but him not liking it makes me feel like I shouldn't even though I do, and if no one said anything I'd like it just as much as all their other videos.

MAJTwister
05-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Love the video. The only thing that worries remotely is if Skillet starts to get more mainstream publicity, it will be compared alot to the new Linkin Park video. Seemed to be alot of the same imagery in it.

DarkestRose
05-24-2007, 07:31 PM
What Linkin Park video? What song? I virtually never listen to that band and never spend any time keeping caught up with them.

bob
05-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Their music video for What I've Done (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paIf4DBM6QI) has some common themes with Skillet's video.

DarkestRose
05-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Wow. It does, but it's not like either of them were the first to have a video with that concept.

BondageDuck
05-24-2007, 09:48 PM
That music video has a closeup on John's mouth. I'm glad to see he got his teeth fixed. That always made me laugh in the Alien Youth video. :P

I totally just now noticed that.

Panhead4ever
05-25-2007, 06:01 AM
Hey, that's a great video! People may not like the song (but, I do, cuz I <3 Skillet) but that video is great. I mean, just individually, every attained a good "look", and it at the end it just rocks.

DarkestRose
05-25-2007, 08:50 AM
I thought was it was interesting that John did hand motions with what the said. Like, if said "fist" he would make a fist. And when he says the line "that squeeze the life out of the needy," he would squeeze is hands together. When he says "deaf to the answers," he covers his ears.I don't think I have seen him do hand motions with lyrics like that before.

aliensoul_squire20
05-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Sweet video, but did anyone else think the hand motion things were in too much excess?

I liked the hand motions. Thought they were really cool and added to the emotion that he has in the song.

And, I didn't know John hated the AY vid! I thought it wasn't bad. Not my favorite, but still good.

DarkestRose
05-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Oh and Jacob (AlienSoul_Squire20) is awarded the person of the day. Yay!

DarkestRose
05-25-2007, 09:59 AM
I didn't even notice that Crusader mentioned the hand motions. lol, I thought I was the first one.

timmyrotter
05-25-2007, 10:05 AM
im a little late, just saw it. its cool! initial thoughts "What Ive Done" Link Park.

i would like to know who funded this music video, did Atlantic? doesnt seem like they would do a non-single video. its very well done.

DarkestRose
05-25-2007, 10:07 AM
But they were in a desert, and Skillet was in a city alley. It's different...in a way.

timmyrotter
05-25-2007, 10:14 AM
haha, i dont think Skillet copied them, they were probably made around the same time anyways. but the way they have clips of world pain, its similar. cool video.

DarkestRose
05-25-2007, 10:24 AM
I know they didn't copy them. Remember when their Savior video ended up looking like "Nowhere Kids" by Smile Empty Soul? haha.

About the funding of the video, it looks like it was something done for Battle Cry or Acquire the Fire. So it may have been funded by some Ron Luce-related organization then.

theelectric3
05-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Teen Mania and World Vision teamed together to shoot the video. It was made specifically for Battle Cry Events.

Joelle
05-25-2007, 02:45 PM
this is definetely one of their best produced music videos..dare i say the best?? i love this video. and korey is wearing my favorite shirt on her. yep..WAY better than rebirthing. and whispers..i did like whispers though..but it didnt really get played anywhere...was it even showed to a secular audience?? i never saw it on christian tv either..

Joelle
05-25-2007, 03:39 PM
my favorite part comes at 3:40 it's a shot of korey...i love it. also at 3:32 they have a cool one of them and their hair is blowing and all that ...man this is SOOO sweet.
p.s. they needed a little bit more of lori ..i think

Joelle
05-25-2007, 03:50 PM
oh and do y'all remember that one picture on their myspace of john that's so cool and we had no idea where its from? its from this video 1:52 to 1:53

Metalfrk012
05-25-2007, 06:22 PM
is it on youtube?

DarkestRose
05-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Yes, it is on YouTube. I think it's labeled as the offical video.

PlayAtari2600
05-28-2007, 08:27 AM
I told you guys it was awesome.

cowillis94
05-31-2007, 12:25 AM
i just got finished watching it.i must say i am very impressed.i REALLY liked were their playing in the alley!8)

aliensoul_squire20
05-31-2007, 09:47 AM
is it on youtube?

I put a link to it on this topic, if you wanna search back for it.

riz
06-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Finally got around to watching it. Most professional-looking video of theirs. Very nicely done! This is high praise, as this is probably my least favorite of the songs on Comatose...