someoneudontkno
04-16-2007, 03:49 PM
ive had alot of different views on this, but it usually boils down to two distinct sides: love is an action, or love is something that drives your actions. could it be both? or is one right and the other simply a thing without a beter name? both positions are very important in Christian life, so why not discuss the aspects of "love".

DarkestRose
04-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Well, I don’t believe love is a feeling. God commands us to love and I don’t know if feelings can be commanded. So love has to be an action, sometimes in spite of feelings. I think we can feel compassion, which can move us to act in love.

someoneudontkno
04-16-2007, 04:30 PM
that is exactly what i said, but what about the second thing. it doesnt say feeling, simply something. could and should love be defined as a something (ie knowlege of salvation with a desire to show the Truth) or a pushing prescence of our brothers and sisters to deal with people and show them what our God showed us, compassion. is love an mindset that takes ahold of us or we take ahold of as an addition to ourselves because of a descision? does anyone else see that todays Christian perspective on love isnt working as it could? maybe we need to think love over and redefine love as we know it in order suit the need of the world and to better equip ourselves to fullfilling God's command, to love your God abocve all things and to love our neighbor as our self. what would happen if we decided to look at love in a different way? Jesus presented love to us be hanging on a cross with all of man's sin upon His shouloders, so why can't we look at love as something that drives us to be compassoinate, something that we can think of to remind ourselves that we arent as important as the lost, because we are already found.

The Lamma
04-16-2007, 05:07 PM
The Greek for love has several different meanings.

Eros (ἔρως érōs) is passionate love, with sensual desire and longing. The Modern Greek word "erotas" means "(romantic) love".

Philia (φιλία philía), means friendship in modern Greek.

Agapē (ἀγάπη agápē) means "love" in modern day Greek. (Also more of an unconditional love, which we should love the Lord with)

Storge (στοργή storgē) means affection in modern Greek; it is natural affection, like that felt by parents for offspring.

someoneudontkno
04-16-2007, 05:18 PM
that was something i had kinda looked at, and something im taking into acount, but now what should our perspective on love be towards our neighbor? or should we simply look at love as a word with multiple meanings?

either way. i want to bring up another subject. i was once told the most powerful force on the earth other than god himself.. the local church. depending on what we do will effect the community somehow, so why dont we hearabout the christian church "loving the community" with such a love as to give christians a start on a new stereotype with the world(refering to another thread)? what can we do to begin a revolution in our generation that will redefine love in the world? with as many people as are on the web site, as many people as they know, i believe that we can, providing that we get somewhere on this thread and get orgonized enough to begin something. i believe it can be done, and with the resources of our day, we can report our success, show others, really start something. but before we come to this, answer me this: do we believe enough in ourselves and the god we serve that he will give us knowlege and wisdom to begin this? im sure this has been thought of before, but why not try again. in fact why not take wisdom from the past? did a religouse leader not say that if this plan was from God, than no man would be able to stop it? Give me your imput on this, but intill later times, i must bid you farewell....(prolly till tomarro :))

V-Ball Queen 32
04-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Love must be all these things. Like how there's the Greeks' four types of love . . .

dawn of light
04-16-2007, 06:09 PM
I've heard that Galations 5:22-23 should have been translated as
But the fruit of the Spirit is love: joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control.

DarkestRose
04-16-2007, 06:11 PM
I don't like boxing love into a solid definition. Love has to extend all that. If God is love, then love, like God, must incomprehensible.

alienyouth9292
04-16-2007, 06:37 PM
luv is a verb....lol i love dc talk.:)

The Lamma
04-16-2007, 06:44 PM
Yes. God is love. Love comes from God. If its not of God, it must not be love. Just a thought...

EDIT: Yeah DC Talk rules, but a verb doesn't help really. :P

unshakeable15
04-21-2007, 07:37 PM
It kind of does.
ive had alot of different views on this, but it usually boils down to two distinct sides: love is an action, or love is something that drives your actions.
Is love an action? Or is love a force? Is love something you DO or is it the ORIGIN of what you do?

(as asked by the original poster)

BarlowgIRL
04-21-2007, 07:42 PM
I think that love is a force that you can't withstand. My friend told me that him and his wife KNEW that they were suposed to be together and that when you are in love, you know. But I wouldn't know, this is from the girl who is in love with vanilla ice cream...

skynes
04-22-2007, 12:26 AM
I've heard that Galations 5:22-23 should have been translated as

Not really possible as the Greeks didn't use punctuation. So any separator placed between love and joy would have been wholly on the translators discretion.

Is love an action? Or is love a force? Is love something you DO or is it the ORIGIN of what you do?

Love is an action. Jesus commanded us to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us. Quite frankly you don't love your enemies as a nice warm fuzzy feeling toward them. But we're commanded to love them, so love must be something we have direct control over, to love or not to love.

If love is the origin of what you do then you have no control over it, you simply allow or stop yourself from acting on it.

dawn of light
04-22-2007, 07:15 PM
Not really possible as the Greeks didn't use punctuation. So any separator placed between love and joy would have been wholly on the translators discretion.
Ok.

I believe love is an action such as loving our enemies, etc.

Love is also a choice. Such as difficult times in marriage. It isn't always going to be fuzzy warm feelings. Sometimes your spouse will act unlovable and you'll have to make the choice to continue to love them anyway.

If love was just a feeling or force or whatever, it would come and go as circumstances change.

alorian
04-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Love is more than a verb. Love is a noun as well. Love is many different things.

The Lamma
04-23-2007, 12:05 PM
For me love can be caring. The action, in this case, would be caring for one another.

the rocker
04-23-2007, 12:35 PM
I think love has to be caring. Caring for their safety, who they are and become as a person, and protecting if you have to. There is no greater love than this: that one lays done his/her life for his/her friend.

weebird20
04-25-2007, 12:01 PM
i was gona post some Bible verses on love...but then i came across these two verses...

1 John 4
9 In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him.
10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

these verses talk about God's love for us....that it was manifest (meaning: to make clear or evident to the eye or the understanding; show plainly) to us through the sacrifice of His only Son...so love is here a feeling and an action? first the love He had for us...a feeling? then the love He had for us caused Him to give up His Son in our place....an action?

it also says that we didn't love God...that it was God's love for us...this makes me think that love is something that drives you to do the best thing possible for someone even if they don't return your love...so is love a feeling...choice...action...i dunno...a mixture of all three maybe?