Laerasyn
04-25-2007, 06:04 PM
So I was sitting in Shakespeare class today, being a very bad student and surfing the net instead of paying attention to a really bad film representation of Macbeth, and I decided that I need a new online game to waste time with, like an MMORPG or something. I've tried a few, but they all got boring after a while. I need the free kind, I have no money to be spending on games... and preferably browser-based, but I'm willing to download random things on faith if you can assure me the game is really good.
I've tried:
-Dragon Court (played that for a while, actually)
-Adventure Quest
-Dragon Fable
-Renaissance Kingdoms
-Ze Pirates
-Avalon (could only play free for a little bit, but it was really cool)
-Realms of Loria
-Utopia
-Runescape (would be really cool if it didn't have a lot of rude people on it... and if it worked on my computer)
-various little things on addictinggames.com

Most of these I've found on search engines and stuff... but I can't find one that holds my imagination for very long. Any ideas?

The Lamma
04-26-2007, 05:02 PM
-Runescape (would be really cool if it didn't have a lot of rude people on it... and if it worked on my computer)

That is my fave comp game. Just a couple suggestions for getting away from noobs. 1) Ignore them, then 2) report them if it something reportable, and 3) choose the smallest world. Ignoring them does a lot.

As for other games...Hmm...I don't think there is much more. But you can check out Kings of Chaos, Faith, and that one I forget its name...Its a space one. All three of those are turn based, though.

alienyouth9292
04-26-2007, 05:36 PM
i play runescape alot....its great!

The Lamma
04-26-2007, 05:40 PM
sweetness!! I'm frogo2 :)

alienyouth9292
04-27-2007, 04:03 AM
i'm dukefan9292.....

The Lamma
04-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Member or non-member? I'm a member. But lets not get too off track. :P

And that third game is slwly coming to me...Maybe I'll have it tomorrow. :P

skynes
04-27-2007, 10:07 AM
Try Imperian (http://www.imperian.com). It's a MUD, meaning no images, all text. But it provides more power than any other RPG style alive.

You always talk in character. Period. No discussing football or what was on TV.

Everything is player run. Guilds, cities, organisations. All of it. Each city has their own group of leaders that lay down the law, incitizen people, kick them out.

Each Guild is different. In the city I was a part of we had:

Clerics - Standard priestly healers of faith
Justicars - akin to Paladins
Wardancer - (what I was), two sword wielding dancers of DEATH!
Duneriders - Think poison making assassins

The entire world is based on a magick/anti-magick role. My city was hardcore anti-magick.

There are Gods too... Played by the admin, who all talk in-character too.

alienyouth9292
04-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Member or non-member? I'm a member. But lets not get too off track. :P

And that third game is slwly coming to me...Maybe I'll have it tomorrow. :P

i'm a non-member....:-\

The Lamma
04-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Ah well. My membership runs out in 10 days. :P My bank is going to kill me...Its waaaay to full for a non-memb account. :P

Crusader
04-27-2007, 02:42 PM
lineage 2 ftw lol... I know, normally you have to pay monthly but not meeee. Here's how it works, you play on a private server. Download lineage 2 interlude from fileplanet, then go to www.l2revengeserver.com and go to the forums, then there is a walk through and all you needa do is download a patch, delete the system folder in lineage 2, extract the patch to there, patch the game, and voila!

The Lamma
04-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Sounds complicated to set up...Is that to bypass the payments or something?

Crusader
04-27-2007, 10:00 PM
yep =) its actually very easy to set up though

RougeLeader
05-01-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm new to online RPGs I've played runescape a very tiny amount but what is a MMORPG?

Laerasyn
05-02-2007, 07:08 AM
Massively Multi-player Online Role-Playing Game

...at least I'm pretty sure that's what it stands for...

JenniferAnn
05-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Yupp that's what it stands for. Not much of an onliner, but my brother and my cousins are. One that's really funny is KOL (kingdom of loathing). The art is pretty much just stick figures and whatnot, and there's pretty much a joke or cultural references everywhere. It's amusing, but at times it's a roll-your-eyes type of game. If you're more of a serious gamer, it's prolly not your style. =p

The Lamma
05-03-2007, 06:05 PM
I can be both a serious and not-serious gamer. :P

Chaz
05-04-2007, 05:51 PM
I play runescape...I'm chaz8591

JenniferAnn
05-04-2007, 06:24 PM
I can be both a serious and not-serious gamer. :P

ahaha, if you're up for a good laugh, check out KoL, then. =]

terrasin
05-04-2007, 10:21 PM
I've played most of the MMOs out there. I still subscribe to Ultima Online but I rarely ever play the EA servers anymore. I've taken to playing a freeshard called Divinity that is old school gameplay from '98-'99.

I'm really just waiting for Darkfall Online to come out. Very immersive, all styles of play, not for carebears who want an easy game like World of Warcraft. :P

CJ

skynes
05-05-2007, 07:31 AM
who want an easy game like World of Warcraft.

Someone obviously never played on a PVP server :|

Allow me to describe one days gaming I had.

Step out of town. run into L60 Paladin...

resurrect at corpse.

CORPSE CAMPED! L60 paladin...

Resurrect at corpse.

CORPSE CAMPED! L60 Paladin...

Resurrect at healer, wait 10 mins. Go different route out of town... run into an alliance party.

Resurrect at spirit healer... go to inn. Log Out.

Rinse n Repeat for as long as it takes you to change servers

terrasin
05-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Someone obviously never played on a PVP server :|

I played on a PVP server. PVP in WoW is pretty much a joke. You lose nothing, nor gain anything from pvping. There is no looting, no loss... you run back, rez, and everything is back to normal and continue to go on your merry way, provided you aren't being camped... in which case, you still lose nothing and do the same again.

CJ

Crusader
05-05-2007, 02:54 PM
PvP in lineage 2 is amazing, castle seiges are sooo fun

skynes
05-05-2007, 02:57 PM
nor gain anything from pvping

Changed now. You gain honour from PVP, which you exchange for epic items you can't get anywhere else.

terrasin
05-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Changed now. You gain honour from PVP, which you exchange for epic items you can't get anywhere else.
Would be better if it was full loot so you could forcefully remove those items from unwilling opponents. :>

I'm not really into item based games. That's one of the reasons I moved away from playing on the EA servers of Ultima Online. Being that I'm heavily into the crafting sides of games as well as pvp/rp, if the game is item based, it really drags crafting down.

skynes
05-06-2007, 05:01 AM
Would be better if it was full loot so you could forcefully remove those items from unwilling opponents.

I really doubt ANY MMO will allow that, unless getting those items is rediculously easy. for all the time and effort it takes to get some of these items, there's no way you could just walk up to someone, beat them round the head and steal their hard earned goods.

terrasin
05-06-2007, 10:16 PM
I really doubt ANY MMO will allow that, unless getting those items is rediculously easy. for all the time and effort it takes to get some of these items, there's no way you could just walk up to someone, beat them round the head and steal their hard earned goods.
Ultima Online did, Darkfall Online does. A lot of people prefer that style of play compared to having it easy. It adds much more danger and loss to the game which will enhance skill because dying sucks. It also keeps the game more skill based than item based.

Darkfall for instance, there are no artifact weapons or armor. Every sword, shield, or armor can be made by blacksmiths. The quality of the weapon is decided by the skill of the blacksmith, plus, with "recipes" people can get from different places, crafters will be able to expand their libraries of things they can make which will add depth and diversity to the game.

So while dying will indeed suck, you won't lose ub3r expensive artifacts which overpower your character like item based games allow.

skynes
05-07-2007, 04:02 AM
CJ if you care for MUDs at all, you really need to try Imperian. It meets what you want in an MMO perfectly. Crafting is limited by human imagination, though there is a group of people (admin types) who need to approve your new design.

As an example, my character talked a lot about goblin skin soup. General idea is you lock a goblin in a pot of water then slowly raise the temperature to boiling point.

Well one friend of mine took this a step further and crafted Goblin Pie! A goblin head complete with a few hairs, filled with a haggis style array of meats and vegetables.

Armour and Weapons are made by a blacksmith. Power of weapons linked to the skill of the smith, quality of ingredients (and a bit of luck).

Dying costs you exp. maybe 3-4%. which when it takes you two hours solid fighting to gain 1%... that really hurts.

terrasin
05-09-2007, 03:12 AM
I've actually got a character on Imperian. I tried to get into MUDs again from my old BBS days, but I find them very difficult to get into since having played graphical MMOs. I am totally stoked that Iron Realms is making Midkemia Online, I just wonder if I will be able to really get into it. Makes me wish I had an extra 5mil around to put into development to make Midkemia Online into a graphical MMO. We'll have to see what happens.

CJ

skynes
05-09-2007, 04:00 AM
I've actually got a character on Imperian. I tried to get into MUDs again from my old BBS days, but I find them very difficult to get into since having played graphical MMOs. I am totally stoked that Iron Realms is making Midkemia Online, I just wonder if I will be able to really get into it. Makes me wish I had an extra 5mil around to put into development to make Midkemia Online into a graphical MMO. We'll have to see what happens.

CJ

My character is with my PH name. Though that doesn't say much as EVERY game I play the character gets called Skynes.

Though I must say that virtually every player in Imperian despises me with a passion. Just cause I don't fit their definition of RolePlaying.

terrasin
05-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Haha, omg don't mess with with the hardcore RP people. They will tear your head off if you don't play exactly like them. :P

The Lamma
05-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Theres a gaming place near where I went, where you buy minutes to play and stuff. But I went in once, and they all looked at me funny. My friend played there once, and they all called him 'noob'...until he said "at least I dont live here." Lol. People can be like that...

skynes
05-09-2007, 01:32 PM
Haha, omg don't mess with with the hardcore RP people. They will tear your head off if you don't play exactly like them. :P

Yeah I know... a few too many on Imperian. So my goofy light hearted pun cracking Skynes is well hated.

Vuren
05-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Aardwulf is my personal choice in muds(i played it for about...6 months while waiting for Vanguard to come out on the pc.

RougeLeader
05-10-2007, 06:43 PM
I want to start playing Star Wars galaxies. My cusin tried but he dosn't have and e mail address so he couldn't create a profile. Did anybody lose there accounts when it was revaped?

Quadripedman
06-06-2007, 10:33 PM

youve never played high level runescape members have you? lol thats the whole point of a lot of it.lol

skynes
06-07-2007, 07:18 AM
youve never played high level runescape members have you? lol thats the whole point of a lot of it.lol

So higher level players can steal lower levels items?

How easy/hard are those items to obtain?

Quadripedman
06-07-2007, 11:14 AM
well, heres how it works. i have to make it short cause i have to go soon, but anyway...

theres certian levels of "wilderness" (pvp area). meaning if your char is level say 50, and your in level one wilderness, you can attack people who are level 49, 50, and 51. basically, depending on the level of wilderness, you can attack people that number of levels below or above you, plus in between, obviouslly. and you can take any item there, and if you die, your only keep your three "best" items (store value, not player value), which is why i never pvp'd. so you could bring the hardest to get, most expensive, rarest item into there, and if you got killed, you could lose it.

CATCH!: if you attack another player you get "skulled" (only happens if you attack another player, not if you get attacked). if you die/get killed while skulled, your lose EVERYTHING no matter what. -.- man that was complex.

The Lamma
06-07-2007, 02:40 PM
^I've lost a lot of stuff just by looking for stuff in the wilderness. :(

Quadripedman
06-07-2007, 09:22 PM
thats why i never go into it lol.... (when i did play at least lol)

skynes
06-08-2007, 12:26 AM
In theory, the idea having of having big losses to PVP is an interesting idea. In practice it's terrible design.

If I spent 15+ hours working to get ONE item, doing the same area over and over waiting for it to drop. I am NOT going to PVP! I don't want to lose it! If I did, I would be so gutted that I lost it I would just quit the game.

Good design would tailor the penalties in such a way that even if you got penalised for losing, you'd still want to play the game.

If WOW included a theft of items in the game, people would stop playing it. That would be a big hurt to Blizzards business.

No players = bad business.

Quadripedman
06-08-2007, 10:09 AM
yea, thats one reason that i stopped playing. i lost a bunch of my best stuff, not pvping, but trying to kill a boss. its in an area where you have no chance of getting it back, so i was just like, "forget this, ill just save my frickin' five bucks a month.."

The Lamma
06-09-2007, 10:29 AM
I just make sure I have a teleport where I can use it, and I stick the stuff I won't need in the bank. :P

Quadripedman
06-09-2007, 06:08 PM
yea. too bad teleports stop working at like level forty wilderness is it? i dont remember/care ::] ;D

The Lamma
06-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Lvl 20 wild. :P I've died 'cause of that. Got the tele, but not able to use it. :(