on_a_mission
04-26-2007, 09:27 AM
In bible study we discussing being led by christ and it really made me ask some hard questions.

Say I am at kind of a cross-roads on different directions I can take with my life, and with out getting into the details, I have prayed and asked god to show me the path he wants me to take. The question I have is how do I know the answer? Am I being drawn toward something as part of god's will, or my own desire? None of the choices I am considering are inconsistent with scripture, so I can't rule them out for being contrary.

For example, several years back there was a high school basketball star who got drafted to the NBA directly out of high school. He told the press that he had prayed to god about going into the NBA or going to college and that god wanted him to go into the NBA. Now neither of these choices are contrary to scripture. So, how can that person be sure he was being led by god or by personal desire?

I Bite
04-26-2007, 12:19 PM
I guess its just something that you have to really feel with your heart. Sounds weird, I know...For example, a person I know was dealing with this, and it was about moving somewhere. God was not going to physically push him onto the plane; there comes a point where you just know.
Obviously I have no back up scripture for that. I simply believe that there is a place where, after much prayer, you feel yourself leaning towards one option more than the other one.

The Lamma
04-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Conviction. You will feel so strongly about it will be undeniable. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating...But God does give strong 'pushes' in certain directions, and you're heart is where it is felt.

NightCrawler
04-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Loud voice in the sky.

Or you could just do what seems wisest, consulting godly counsel... and if it works out? Sweet. If it doesn't? Change plans.

The Lamma
04-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Oh yeah. Ask a wise someone you know and trust. Thats always a good path.

on_a_mission
04-26-2007, 08:24 PM
So, the best one can hope for is seek guidance from others and to follow your heart?

I suppose that is not bad advice, becuase if you get too bogged down in trying to find the "right" path, waiting for that "sign" or overhelming calling, you can end up going no where. I think the best analogy I can think of is trying to steer a car. It is virtually impossible to turn a car when it is standing still, it is much easier to turn it when it is moving. Or put another way, we are judged by the fruit we bear.

Perhaps there is no one "perfect" course to our lifes, waiting to be revealed to us if we wait long enough. Perhaps it is more of a continual refining process. Pray, ask for guidance, make a choice, take a step, and trusting that god will work through us to make the best of the choices we make. I am not saying that we should just flip a coin and head off one way - what I am saying is we make a choice that we belive will glorify god and then continue to pray and ask for guidance and course corrections along the way.

I am interested in what you think? Am I totally off base here?

unshakeable15
04-26-2007, 08:36 PM
No, you sound pretty spot on to me.

My roommate has signed his life away to go into the Army. My other roommate and i were intially asking him "Are you serious? Or mental?" but he had been thinking and praying about it for a while, and he consulted people (mainly his parents since his father is a pastor). From there, the choice is his.

God gives us little nudges (sometimes very strong nudges) in the right direction, the rest is up to us. We will screw up and walk the wrong direction; we're human after all. The point is to do what you can to fix the problem (or work through it) when you do screw up and go a direction you were never meant to.

skynes
04-27-2007, 01:20 AM
I am not saying that we should just flip a coin and head off one way

Quite funny you say that cause that's how thr Disciples chose their 12th member after Judas died.

I had a nice long post written... but PH ate it. :(

What I said was: What if there IS no wrong path here? What if God can use you equally along both paths and for all you know the two paths converge further down the line leaving you in the same place either way?

as~i~lay~dying
04-27-2007, 06:38 AM
Make sure you are so in tune to God, and pursue both things. God will close doors and open doors depending on what He wants you to do.

The Lamma
04-27-2007, 07:45 AM
Quite funny you say that cause that's how thr Disciples chose their 12th member after Judas died.

I had a nice long post written... but PH ate it. :(

But remember that the Lord picked Saul as the 12th. And I hate it when it eats your text...It's only technology, I guess.

skynes
04-27-2007, 09:57 AM
But remember that the Lord picked Saul as the 12th

Nope, Saul wasn't the 12th. It's in Acts 1 what happened

20 "For it is written in the book of Psalms: 'Let his dwelling place be desolate, And let no one live in it'; and, 'Let another take his office.'

21 "Therefore, of these men who have accompanied us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,

22 beginning from the baptism of John to that day when He was taken up from us, one of these must become a witness with us of His resurrection."

23 And they proposed two: Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias.

24 And they prayed and said, "You, O Lord, who know the hearts of all, show which of these two You have chosen

25 to take part in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place."

26 And they cast their lots, and the lot fell on Matthias. And he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

The Lamma
04-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Then Saul was like a 13th. And casting a die doesn't always work...And there were only two people.

NightCrawler
04-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Then Saul was like a 13th. And casting a die doesn't always work...And there were only two people.

Uhh... casting lots, amazingly enough, was part of the Jewish faith/Levitical law.

Exodus 28:30 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=2&chapter=28&verse=30&version=31&context=verse)
Also put the Urim and the Thummim in the breastpiece, so they may be over Aaron's heart whenever he enters the presence of the LORD. Thus Aaron will always bear the means of making decisions for the Israelites over his heart before the LORD.

Urim and Thummim = essentially, some dice.

The Lamma
04-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Ok, you win. But people talk of Paul as one of the apostles, but not the other dude.

Spiffles
04-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Loud voice in the sky.

Or you could just do what seems wisest, consulting godly counsel... and if it works out? Sweet. If it doesn't? Change plans.

In my experiences, but personal, and from knowing others (friends family etc.. you get it) it's all godo when it works out, but when it doesnt, it is not as easy to just "change plans", normally, because it doesnt work out, its a really bad direction and it stuffs you up.. What I mean is.. its hard to change direction from something thats going wrong unless you have help to get you out, which in these cases, its the help that caused the problems...

What i'd suggest, is doing the first part of what you suggested.. getting counsel and stuff.. then paying about it for a good deal of time (ie, like, not just 5 mins at night before bed) and waiting untill God confirms it 100%. (you will know when God confirms it.. if you dont know.. God hasnt confirmed it, or it's not the right thing)

skynes
04-28-2007, 02:09 AM
But people talk of Paul as one of the apostles, but not the other dude.

Acts 1 and Paul gives the definition of an Apostle.

Acts 1: 22 one of these must become a witness with us of His resurrection."

1 Corinthians 5

5 and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve.

6 After that He was seen by over five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep.

7 After that He was seen by James, then by all the apostles.

8 Then last of all He was seen by me also, as by one born out of due time.

9 For I am the least of the apostles, who am not worthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

An apostle had to be a Christian who had seen the risen Christ.

So there were many more Apostles than the 11 disciples, Matthias and Paul.

The Lamma
04-28-2007, 08:03 AM
Ok. Also note that I said 'people'. :P And the verse says "all the apostles." I guess that would say that he wasn't in the group thingy, but it doesn't make (Matthias?) the twelfth.

skynes
04-28-2007, 08:52 AM
And the verse says "all the apostles." I guess that would say that he wasn't in the group thingy, but it doesn't make (Matthias?) the twelfth.

Huh? You lost me.

The Lamma
04-28-2007, 08:58 AM
7 After that He was seen by James, then by all the apostles.

Haha, I like messing you up. :P But that quote is the verse I was talking about. :P

skynes
04-28-2007, 11:17 AM
>>topic gone off track. I've taken it to PM<<

unshakeable15
04-28-2007, 09:29 PM
What i'd suggest, is doing the first part of what you suggested.. getting counsel and stuff.. then paying about it for a good deal of time (ie, like, not just 5 mins at night before bed) and waiting untill God confirms it 100%. (you will know when God confirms it.. if you dont know.. God hasnt confirmed it, or it's not the right thing)
That is a good plan, but there are times when God sets things in motion, but he wants you to take that final step in faith. God didn't tell Abraham his plan. There weren't even any "open doors" for him to walk through. It seemed as if every door was shut to God's promise; in fact, God was shutting the one open door by telling Abraham to sacrifice his son. Yet, Abraham did it without question, or at least started to.

God allows us to make decisions without him all the time. I'm not saying we don't seek after his will for our lives, ask for guiding counsel and spend time listening (the second half of a prayer conversation), but God doesn't often spell things out in the clouds for you.

The Lamma
04-30-2007, 07:11 PM
The president didn't become president by waiting for the clouds to say "yes! Do it!!"

NemenEmily
05-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Sometimes God leaves more than one door open, try your options out. If the peace is gone, then you know right then and there that its not the right thing for now.