The Lamma
04-27-2007, 08:47 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm posting anyway.

So my life is going crazy. I feel like every love song on the planet. AKA there is this girl, and I don't know what to do!! I think about her non-stop, and I'm clueless what to do. I feel very strongly about her, to me it feels like love... Being around her seems to lift my depression for the time being, and she is a very good friend. I've prayed to the Lord about it, but heard no answer. I know I'm young, and I don't want any broken hearts...But I want to just be with her...Summer is coming, and I don't know when I'll see her again. It might be September. It seems that my head thinks that it'll be unbearable. I dunno. Things like this happen, but I've had these feelings for years...Even more so now.

And also I'm a gaming addict, any suggestions what I could do to cut down on it? Any suggestions of what I could do instead? My life isn't doing the best, but it could be worst. I'd love to hang out with friends instead, but there is only one I do hang out with, and thats like once a week. Sigh. I feel so distant from the Lord some days...If anyone has any suggestions or is willing to pray, that'd be awesome.

skynes
04-28-2007, 02:13 AM
I've prayed to the Lord about it, but heard no answer.

Then keep praying and make absolutely no move until you're told otherwise.

And also I'm a gaming addict, any suggestions what I could do to cut down on it? Any suggestions of what I could do instead?

An effective method to break a habit is to replace it with something else. Simply dropping it rarely works. So find something else to do outside of gaming. Read a book, take up artwork, write a story... Read your Bible? Lol

I feel so distant from the Lord some days...

How regular is your reading and praying?

If answer = daily. Keep at it, it's what making this bearable.
If answer = not daily. Start. Lack of it is probably causing it.

The Lamma
04-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Ok, I guess I can just keep praying... And with the game addict part, I just can't get off of it. Owning a DS, Wii, and having an easily accessible computer doesn't help, either. I need some more ideas. I read sometimes, write a lot (check out 'Stuff written by moi'), draw occasionally. But they don't really work...I need something BIG. I don't know what kind, but I need it BIG. And I'll try to get into daily prayer and scripture reading. Its been better this last month, but not enough. Thanks. :)

Geneva
04-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Go outside a little? Haha.

You could do what I do when I try to break a habbit. Chew gum.

I'm not sure why it works for me, but chewing gum keeps my mind off other things and then I break my habbit.

And I've heard it takes 20 days to do something before it becomes a habbit, so after 20 days of not gaming, you'll be cured.

:P

Hope that helped a little.

The Lamma
04-28-2007, 05:56 PM
I already am a slight gum addict, though...And I though it was 30? What I really need is something else to do...Whats outside? I have no clue. Inside or out, it makes no difference. What is there to do?!

Geneva
04-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Haha maybe it is 30. I heard 20 from my teacher, but I don't know for sure.

What is there to do?

Uh... learn to play an instrument.

And if you know how to play one, then learn a cool new song.

I dunno. Haha.

JenniferAnn
04-28-2007, 07:54 PM
I heard twenty-two. =p Yeahhh, rock out to Skillet songs on the guitar or keyboard or somethin'. Speaking of i should continue my guitar lessons.. heh, anywho. I used to be completely obsessed with video games, but i can't really tell ya how to break the habit- the only reason i did was because a) i needed to concentrate more on school, and b) my brother moved out taking the consoles with him. I go over there every once and a while to hang out with him and his friends to play, but that's pretty much all the gaming i get unless i go to an arcade or do somethin' online. I read a lot, and music helps me kick unhealthy habits, but then again, i'm never without earphones on (currently listening to "Savior") so, i'm not sure if it's just a replacement of a habit, like G said with gum. (And yeah, Gen, that's a habit. =p).
As to your social life, if it makes you feel any better, i have friends in school and i hang out with.. 6 people once a month at a "Saturday Geek Party". That and Creative Writing Club and Choir is all the "hanging out" i do outside of school, even though CWC and Choir are technically school activities. I pretty much spend my time with my family or talking to Gen, listening to music, reading, writing, taking photos etc.
To the being distant from the Lord part, find something that really makes you feel close to God and try to experience that closeness daily. For me, it's prayer, music, and venting to my friend. Music in particular, especially some great Christian stuff (i.e. Skillet, MercyMe, FFH) and, oddly enough, the rain (i dunno why the rain makes me feel closer to God, but what works, works.)

The Lamma
04-28-2007, 08:47 PM
I play violin, and have been searching for some Skillet to play. I think I am very close... And I own all the consoles in my house...All my games, memory cards, controllers, ect. As for my socail life, as I said before, I only have a couple friends who I hang out with, and thats not very often. Homeschooling doesn't get you as many friends as public school, but it can get you some quality ones. I'm thinking of maybe starting a foam-sword fighting club. Thanks for the input, and it doesn't just have to be about my gaming addiction...

Geneva
04-29-2007, 06:11 AM
A foam sword fighting club? Awesome. :D

JenniferAnn
04-29-2007, 08:43 AM
Sorry, i'm not much help in the whole relationship thing. I used to offer great advice to my friend, but when we grew apart i kinda stopped giving good advice. And considering i never followed any of my own advice, i felt like a hypocrite. If you're worried about broken hearts, there's a saying that goes, "A ship in the harbour is safe- but that's not what ships are made for." Maybe you could try a little meditation or writing out what you feel in a song, poem, or story. Who knows, maybe inspiration will trigger revaltion?
As long as you have a few good friends, even if you only hang out with them occasionally, that's all you really need. A few great friends are better than a ton that don't know you well at all. It sounds like you've got that part covered. =]
As to the gaming (i told you guys i'd never shut up. My apologies =p), just try a to shorten the length of it every week. Like, today, you could cut down a half hour shorter than what you normally do, and continue all week, then next week do the same? i dunno. =x And you play violin? That's awesome. I've always been fascinated, but no one i know plays and guitar lessons are much more accessable to me in my town. =]

The Lamma
04-29-2007, 11:57 AM
I don't see my friends as often as I'd like to... Most of them live 1-6 hours away, and a few 30+ minutes away. :( And I don't know how well cutting time each day would work, since I don't keep track of time when playing. (Even if I tried, I would forget...) Any more ideas on what to replace it with? And I'm having soooo much truble finding good violin music. (other than celtic, which my teacher has lots of :))

Foam sword fighting. Swords make out of camp pad and pvc cores. Google Belegarth, and you should get more details. :)

Geneva
04-29-2007, 01:29 PM
:D

You could try... buying a drumset and rocking out..? haha.

Or eat. A lot.

Or cook...

Or... uhm...brush your hair? I dunno.

:)

skynes
04-29-2007, 02:23 PM
I don't see my friends as often as I'd like to... Most of them live 1-6 hours away, and a few 30+ minutes away. :( And I don't know how well cutting time each day would work, since I don't keep track of time when playing. (Even if I tried, I would forget...) Any more ideas on what to replace it with? And I'm having soooo much truble finding good violin music. (other than celtic, which my teacher has lots of :))

Foam sword fighting. Swords make out of camp pad and pvc cores. Google Belegarth, and you should get more details. :)

You like to play games yes? You write yes?

Take the two and stick them together... Write a game story.

Geneva
04-29-2007, 02:31 PM
ooh, that's a good idea.

The Lamma
04-30-2007, 06:55 PM
http://the-reverse.blogspot.com This is usually what I write, but I do like writing fiction sometimes. I was thinking maybe a movie script...My fam is a moving making family, so I want to make my own vid sometime. That would get some good quality time in with friends compared to a game script. :) I'll probably try both, though.

theelectric3
05-01-2007, 07:29 PM
if you really want to kick it... you could be extreme (depending on how desperately you want off of it) and sell you games? *gasp! did i just suggest that??! yep.*

or... give it to a trusted friend to basically hide it from you. keep it in good condition, don't get me wrong, but don't let you near it until you both feel you've kicked it. and then have that friend keep you accountable on how long you are on it, how often you play, etc.

yes, it takes a special kind of person to commit to helping you in this.

but just like any other addiction... sometimes the only way to beat it is to get rid of it.

(if you find other ways, great. but this is another option.)

The Lamma
05-03-2007, 06:11 PM
But those I trust (like full-out trust) don't live nearby...But am I full of excuses or what? But still, I'd like something super good and fun to do.

DarkestRose
05-08-2007, 01:56 AM
I'll be praying for you on both issues. I would suggest that you pray for God to help you discern the difference between loving someone and feeling infatuation. I also think that you should pray about dating or having a girlfriend before you can marry. I don't think it is sinful to do so but I don't think it's a very good idea either (though I'm biased) and I think you should spend a lot of time in prayer before doing anything because, like getting physically involved with someone, dating can have emotional baggage that can still pop up in your future marriage. I think there are a lot of issues in that area worth praying about before acting on anything.

About quitting gaming, is there anything else you honestly love to do? Something God has given you a passion for? Because I think the high school era is a great time to start looking into talents God has given you (like writing) and how to use them to serve Him.

The Lamma
05-08-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm sure you'll be glad to hear this: Dating doesn't sound like a good path to me!! I want to go more down the courtship road. And I just want to let her know how I feel...The pressure just builds and builds...

What do I love to do? Write. Write, write, write, write, write. Though often I come up dry. (not necessarily writers block, just not good stuff) And I only usually write my normal stuff when I am inspired by something. As for fiction, I can never come up with a full right to the end plot. :(

The Lamma
05-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Prayer request: You know the girl I was talking about? She apparently is going through a tough time right now, something to do with self-pitty...I don't know the exact details right now...I'm praying hard, and it would be awesome if you did too.

Shadow-Phoenix
05-11-2007, 03:09 PM
I will be praying, and I understand how you feel. Courtship would be a much better route than that of "Modern Dating". If you let her know that you care, and that if she needs to talk, that you will be there to listen, she may take advantage of that and your friendship will probably deepen. Keep praying, and maybe you should try to take up and instrument, (guitar, Bass, Drums) to kick the gaming habit... lol I'm a guitarist. anyway, God Bless, And Take Care.

Shadow-Phoenix
05-11-2007, 03:12 PM
I'm thinking of maybe starting a foam-sword fighting club.
LOL That would Rock face... (I'm a sword junkie... lol)

DarkestRose
05-11-2007, 08:42 PM
I agree with Rob that courtship may be the way to go.

The Lamma
05-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Yeah, like I said before, i'm a courtship kinda guy at the momento. And I do play violin, but I not quite good enough to play some schweet Skillet and stuff. As for the gaming, I'm doing pretty good right now, but I know that it'll come back and jump on me before long.

If you let her know that you care, and that if she needs to talk, that you will be there to listen, she may take advantage of that and your friendship will probably deepen.
I'm working up to that...Sometimes things are just difficult, you know?
Sword fighting is awesome if you can get enough people to battle, and dueling is pretty sweet.

EDIT: I forgot to say, thanks for praying!! I really appreciate it.