bob
04-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Do you guys use Skillet to try and witness to people? I know I do. I reccomend Skillet to people when I'm discussing bands with people. I recommend them to the person and they'll usually come back a few days later and say: "I checked that band out and they're pretty good" and then I try to stem a conversation off of that.

Laerasyn
04-30-2007, 10:43 AM
I do this a lot too. I find that since Skillet lyrics have no semblance of profanity or anything, people notice that and ask me about it. I've gotten lots of good conversations that way, especially through "Whispers in the Dark."

BondageDuck
04-30-2007, 05:30 PM
I totally do that. My roommate became a Christian because of Skillet's music. :)

bob
04-30-2007, 05:45 PM
I totally do that. My roommate became a Christian because of Skillet's music. :)

That's awesome! :)

DarkestRose
04-30-2007, 05:48 PM
I've had little luck with this. I got my mom to like Skillet ;D (just Comatose and their less-rockish songs though), I gave this guy in my math class two of their CDs and he likes them, and my little sister likes "Rebirthing" and I think I can maybe get her to like them, but most people I know are Top 40 fans who think Skillet's "too rock" or know they are/were a Christian band and stay away from them.

bob
04-30-2007, 05:50 PM
most people I know are Top 40 fans who think Skillet's "too rock"

Pfft. Lame. There is no such thing as too much rock. :P In my opinion.

DarkestRose
04-30-2007, 05:53 PM
I agree. I heart rock. They do like emo/punk bands, however, but are more hip-hop, R&B, and scenester band people. They're not album people like me either. They're radio people. I think they like songs for their catchiness-factor.

timmyrotter
04-30-2007, 05:53 PM
I've had little luck with this. I got my mom to like Skillet ;D (just Comatose and their less-rockish songs though), I gave this guy in my math class two of their CDs and he likes them, and my little sister likes "Rebirthing" and I think I can maybe get her to like them, but most people I know are Top 40 fans who think Skillet's "too rock" or know they are/were a Christian band and stay away from them.

well The Older i Get will go for adds on top 40 if it does well on HAC. currently it sits at #125 on CHR/POP top 40, so its getting there :)

The Lamma
04-30-2007, 06:29 PM
If I had more non-Christian friends I might do it...But I just don't seem to get many of that type, you know? (homeschooling doesn't help that)

DarkestRose
04-30-2007, 08:29 PM
If I had more non-Christian friends I might do it...But I just don't seem to get many of that type, you know? (homeschooling doesn't help that)

Well, if you know people from a high school Sunday school class or youth group or other Christian friends, you could get them into Skillet and, if those people have non-Christian friends, you could encourage them to share the love of Skillet.

skynes
05-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Do you guys use Skillet to try and witness to people? I know I do. I reccomend Skillet to people when I'm discussing bands with people. I recommend them to the person and they'll usually come back a few days later and say: "I checked that band out and they're pretty good" and then I try to stem a conversation off of that.

Yep. Whenever I'm talking to anyone, the two bands I always bring up are Skillet and Demon Hunter. It's good to get on a similar wavelength to a person and makes discussing things easier when you have a common taste in music.

bob
05-01-2007, 04:03 PM
I generally try to find out what bands a person listens to and then suggest an artist in that genre. But Demon Hunter, Skillet, and Disciple are my favorite three to promote to people. :)

Vuren
05-12-2007, 10:24 PM
john used skillet as a tool of ministry on me...seriously the concert they had in omaha few months back is when i gave my life to christ...

Snowman
05-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Skillet's music was one of the reasons I became a Christian :)

bob
05-13-2007, 08:29 PM
john used skillet as a tool of ministry on me...seriously the concert they had in omaha few months back is when i gave my life to christ...

Skillet's music was one of the reasons I became a Christian :)

Awesome. That's what I like to hear. :)

The Lamma
05-14-2007, 11:24 AM
Well, if you know people from a high school Sunday school class or youth group or other Christian friends, you could get them into Skillet and, if those people have non-Christian friends, you could encourage them to share the love of Skillet.

Heh, if you haven't caught on, I homeschool. But still, it is a good idea. But my friends who don't already listen Skillet listen to some whacked-out stuff.

timmyrotter
05-14-2007, 11:42 AM
But my friends who don't already listen Skillet listen to some whacked-out stuff.

thats cause you are canadian :o ;D

The Lamma
05-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Lol. Actually, they listen to whacky American stuff. :P ...Except maybe Billy Talent.

bubblesemm
05-14-2007, 06:15 PM
yea,i talk about skillet all of the time,but alot of the people that i bring them up to say, "aren't they Christian?" and i'll say, "yea", and they'll be like no thanks.

Joelle
05-15-2007, 01:11 PM
i know that subject really bothers skillet..because if you say yes people might not want to listen to them...and if they are christians and you say no...they are like oh you heathen..personally..skillet is a crossover band right..so technically they are christians in a band...does that make you a christian band?? not always...

bob
05-15-2007, 01:37 PM
does that make you a christian band?? not always...

Just enough to continue to stay in the Christian market. :P

DarkestRose
05-15-2007, 01:43 PM
With non-Christians, you can kinda skirt the question by saying that they have mainstream CDs which is true. It's easier to push Collide or Comatose that way.

Joelle
05-15-2007, 02:54 PM
actually that reminds me..several times before when people have asked me who skillet is...or if they are christian..i just said they're mainstream...and that's good enough for them..

The Lamma
05-16-2007, 11:23 AM
If you say the band isn't Christian, thats different than the band members. You gotta be careful with that one. But saying that they are mainstream works.