bob
04-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Skillet brings a lot to the table at their shows. John, Korey, Ben, and Lori have a lot of stage presence and energy, they use cryos, John throws his bass over his shoulders, they headbang . . . but do you think their performance lacks anything?

I personally would like to see some pyrotechnics to add to their live show. I think that would be pretty awesome. But I know things like that cost money.

DarkestRose
04-30-2007, 09:14 PM
I think they have done pryos in the past. They've also done confetti.

bob
04-30-2007, 09:16 PM
I think they have done pryos in the past. They've also done confetti.

Yes, they had some when I saw them in Baltimore. But a little more never hurt. ;)

timmyrotter
04-30-2007, 09:21 PM
pyrotechnics would be sweet. When i saw Nickelback in February, they had tons, too much even, they had flames going off when the drums hit hard on drum solo's.

something else that is cool is when they arent headlining, have someone from the headlining band play or sing a song with them. there is nothing i like more at a concert than that. Trapt did it with Blindside. and the singer from Army of Anyone (aka either Filter or stone temple pilots) did "In the Name of Love" with Lacey Mosley (flyeaf). it is on their myspace.

DarkestRose
04-30-2007, 09:23 PM
^The thing with Richard Patrick and Flyleaf was awesome. Didn't John come out and sing with Pillar for "Fireproof" at Kingdom Bound awhile ago?

bob
04-30-2007, 09:35 PM
I think if John and Ben switched instruments during the middle of a song that'd be cool. I know John knows how to play guitar. :)

DarkestRose
04-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Can Ben play bass?

bob
04-30-2007, 09:43 PM
If you can play guitar, you can play bass. Believe me, I've been playing bass for four or five years. :) But that doesn't mean that you can play guitar if you're a bassist, hence, I can't play the guitar.

DarkestRose
04-30-2007, 09:47 PM
That's cool. I'm not musicial, so I wouldn't know.

bob
04-30-2007, 10:04 PM
Well, with a guitar you need to know chord positions and such but with a bass you only need to know where to play one note at a time so it's easier in that aspect.

DarkestRose
04-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Just one note? Wow. So is bass easier to play than guitar?

bob
04-30-2007, 10:14 PM
In order to learn the basics? Yes. But if you want to know how to keep a steady rhythm and be in sync with the drums, it takes practice. Plus, a lot of people like to be lame and use a pick with bass. That's one thing I've always respected with John is that he uses his fingers.

DarkestRose
04-30-2007, 10:16 PM
That's cool. Thanks. You play bass in a band? Or just by yourself?

bob
04-30-2007, 10:23 PM
I got the idea of instrument switching from Disciple. During the song "Big Bad Wolf" their guitarist, Brad will sometimes throw his guitar in the air at the same time Joey throws his bass and they'll catch each other's instruments and continue the song and it's a real crowd pleaser in my opinion.

DarkestRose
04-30-2007, 10:43 PM
I've heard that Kutless did that with their guitars. So maybe Ben and Korey could switch. Or John, Korey and Ben could do a three-way toss?

terrasin
05-01-2007, 01:18 AM
Well, to start, they need to start playing bigger places. Once that happens, they will have the chance to work with some better and bigger rigs. Once that happens, they can upgrade to bigger sound systems and better lighting and their show can actually become programmed and look good.

At that point, they can start looking at things like Pyro... though that can get very expensive.

Here are two renderings of a set I've been working on for a while with a Comatose tour in mind. These are pretty old and incomplete as I've not had time to render newer ones of what the set looks like now, but you'd get the basic idea. These were actually made previous to the album art being released so they don't have backdrops or set pieces on it. This is also the bigger of two versions I have. The smaller one would probably be more realistic in terms of an actual tour. Lemme know what you think:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a394/terrasin/SayGoodbye20.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a394/terrasin/SayGoodbye30.jpg

The coolest part, in my opinion, is the 4ft mirrorball. ;)

CJ

DarkestRose
05-01-2007, 01:22 AM
Wow. Those are really cool. How did you make those?

bob
05-01-2007, 04:33 AM
I think I would enjoy a lighting show that massive.

terrasin
05-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Wow. Those are really cool. How did you make those?
It's a CAD design program specifically made for stage production that I use to design and program stage setups for presentation to clients.

CJ

DarkestRose
05-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Oh, well it's really cool. I love the light show.

BondageDuck
05-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Well, in the past for the tours (at least AY & Collide) they've always played for about 2 hours & they play a BUNCH of old songs, as well as songs off the newest album. I saw them in Pueblo, CO on sunday night & they played:

-Whispers In The Dark
-Forsaken
-Better Than Drugs
-Rebirthing
-My Obsession
-The Older I get
-Yours To Hold
-The Last Night
-Savior
-
-Best Kept Secret (encore)

Honestly, that kind of bummed me out. What about Alien Youth, or Locked In A Cage, or I Can, or even Angels Fall Down? I love the new songs just as much as the old ones, but I want to hear the old ones too!! I've been a fan since Invincible came out & I'd like to see them play more songs, the way they did on the AY & Collide tours.

DarkestRose
05-01-2007, 04:01 PM
I love their older songs too. It would be cool if they played them again.

timmyrotter
05-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Well, in the past for the tours (at least AY & Collide) they've always played for about 2 hours & they play a BUNCH of old songs, as well as songs off the newest album. I saw them in Pueblo, CO on sunday night & they played:

-Whispers In The Dark
-Forsaken
-Better Than Drugs
-Rebirthing
-My Obsession
-The Older I get
-Yours To Hold
-The Last Night
-Savior
-
-Best Kept Secret (encore)

Honestly, that kind of bummed me out. What about Alien Youth, or Locked In A Cage, or I Can, or even Angels Fall Down? I love the new songs just as much as the old ones, but I want to hear the old ones too!! I've been a fan since Invincible came out & I'd like to see them play more songs, the way they did on the AY & Collide tours.

who were they playing with?

bob
05-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Sometimes bands want to play more of their new stuff for their newer fans. But I agree, when I saw them they played only stuff from Collide & Comatose. I wish they would've played Locked in a Cage.

BondageDuck
05-01-2007, 04:15 PM
who were they playing with?

They were headlining, Decyfer Down opened for them. I'm hoping the only reason they didn't play as long was because Korey was really sick.

DarkestRose
05-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Poor Korey. :(

timmyrotter
05-01-2007, 04:35 PM
They were headlining, Decyfer Down opened for them. I'm hoping the only reason they didn't play as long was because Korey was really sick.

that is a short set for a headliner.

I Bite
05-01-2007, 04:35 PM
When they came up here for their Collide tour, they played 2 or 3 older songs...I can't remember if they played Alien Youth, but I know they played Invincible and Best Kept Secret.
They also did a worship song...Can't think of the name right now..
but yah, I too would like it if they played some of the older songs..

BondageDuck
05-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Yeah, that's why I was pretty bummed...I'm seeing them again in 2 weeks so hopefully they'll play longer at that one.

panheadko
05-01-2007, 04:48 PM

Not necessarily....If you just want to get by playing bass, and play bass as if it was a guitar then it's easier. But if you really want to get good at bass it's much more difficult. I play both Guitar and Bass....but I've focus mainly on bass the past few years and tried to get really good at it drawing influence from Billy Shehan, Flea, Victor Wooton and Ryan Martini from Mudvayne. The bass is such a versatile instrument....you can do so much with it slapping, tapping, double thumbing...the list goes on....so many people put the bass in a box when I truly believe you can do more with the bass than guitar. It can produce so many different sounds.

theelectric3
05-01-2007, 07:07 PM

yes, as long as you can keep rhythm. it is more of a rhythmic instrument... helping to solidify the beat along with the drums. the two instruments compliment each other.

theelectric3
05-01-2007, 07:10 PM

honestly, i like the last 3 you listed more than AY. maybe because the AY was the hit song for about 2 years (waiting for their next release) and they played out in CA a lot at that time. while it is a good song i just grew kinda tired of it.

but the other 3? love 'em.

sonicspike
05-03-2007, 05:24 PM
I personally would like to see some pyrotechnics to add to their live show. I think that would be pretty awesome. But I know things like that cost money.HA! You don't have a CLUE how much decent pyro costs. Lets just say that it would eat into a huge portion of Skillet's nightly income. That means ticket prices would go up.

This is not mention the fact that increased production costs for buying, transporting, and local inspection. I would venture to say that most venues that Skillet plays would not pass a fire marshall inspection for show pyro. We can thank the Great White incident for making pyro a huge impossibility for most bands. And for Skillet it's pretty unrealistic.

sonicspike
05-03-2007, 05:26 PM
I would like to see Korey and Lori have a huge rack of synths, drum machines, and samplers like the good old days!
;D

sonicspike
05-03-2007, 05:31 PM
I wish more bands would allow their playlists to be decided by their fans. In other words each band should constantly have a poll on their website in which their fans could vote on what the set list would be for each city and night.

bob
05-03-2007, 09:13 PM
I wish more bands would allow their playlists to be decided by their fans. In other words each band should constantly have a poll on their website in which their fans could vote on what the set list would be for each city and night.

I think that'd be really awesome. Or at least before a tour do a poll. I'd love to see Skillet do "Eating Me Away" live, a song I don't think they've ever played live before and John said once in a chat that they'd "never perform it live". :)

DarkestRose
05-03-2007, 09:19 PM
I don't see why. Eating Me Away is one of my favorite songs of theirs, maybe even my favorite off of the Alien Youth album. John could always have a change of heart though.

bob
05-04-2007, 06:41 AM
John could always have a change of heart though.

That's what I've always hoped for.

BondageDuck
05-04-2007, 09:33 AM
I think that'd be really awesome. Or at least before a tour do a poll. I'd love to see Skillet do "Eating Me Away" live, a song I don't think they've ever played live before and John said once in a chat that they'd "never perform it live". :)

They did play Eating Me Away once. It was awesome. It was at my very first Skillet concert (the Alien Youth tour), I remember it because I didn't know any of their songs & when I heard "It's eating me away...it nibbles at my brain..." I remember thinking, "That's kind of gross." :) Haha. I leaned over & asked my friend what song it was, & she said Eating Me Away. I even have a very very old picture of Korey belting out "SAVE Me" on the chorus. But that's the only time I've ever heard it played, & it's one of my favorites that I wish they would play more often.

I like the poll idea, for sure.

timmyrotter
05-04-2007, 09:37 AM
id vote for eating me away.

BondageDuck
05-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Me too. That's my "angry song!" ;)

bob
05-04-2007, 07:36 PM
I guess one counter argument would be "the band doesn't know all of the songs" so they could just let the fans vote on the songs they're willing to play. Because I don't think anyone wants to go to a Skillet concert and hear the song "Whirlwind". :P

DarkestRose
05-04-2007, 07:38 PM
I actually like "Whirlwind." It's catchy. Gets stuck in my head often.

And I would like to re-propose the John/Korey/Ben three-way guitar toss/switch.

woman4life
05-05-2007, 06:06 AM
Well, they weren't tossing the guitars back and forth in Salt Lake, but they spun them around more than once. LOL
They also had the steam. It was pretty funny... they had one of the stem vents (or whatever they are called) very close to the front of the stage, so one of the stage guys was warning the security guard about how loud it was. Anyway, they were talking about it and the security guard noted that the one on my side of the stage had tape that said, "works good" or someting to that effect,and the other said, "works good, but leaks" taped to it. Just a funny side note. So, they are rather close to taking the suggestions here on the tour. ;)

The current show didn't lack much of anything. My only disappointment was having the security guard tell me he'd get me the set list if he could, but then he got it and gave it to the gal next to me. :( C'est la vie.

terrasin
05-05-2007, 01:52 PM
It's a cryo system. Uses liquid C02 to create large columns of frozen air.

sonicspike
05-05-2007, 05:04 PM
I think cryo is overused these days. I realize it's a relatively cheap and safe special effect, but it doesn't do anything for me anymore. I was over it after the first time I saw it with Audio A and NewsBoys back on Festival Con Dios back in the day (2001).

terrasin
05-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Better than no effects at all. It's not like they can use pyro at 99% of the places they play at. Not to mention that, while you may be over it, it still gets the crowd going.

CJ

sonicspike
05-05-2007, 09:50 PM
I mean I dont think less of them for using it, it just doesnt impress me anymore. It's a personal preference.

bob
05-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Is it legal to set the cryos off towards the crowd? Or would that be harmful? Because that'd be cooler than shooting it upwards I think.

terrasin
05-08-2007, 12:03 AM
All cryo is really once it comes out of the jet is frozen air. Granted, if you stand right on top of it, it will be very cold to the point of freezing, plus there is a lack of oxygen. But the chances of actually passing out are very slim to none. In fact, the company that makes the jets has come out with an extra large version made for clubs. It's relatively safe because there is enough oxygen surrounding that it won't do anything harmful.

I Bite
05-08-2007, 12:26 PM
I think they should have confetti cannonballs.
:D

terrasin
05-09-2007, 01:14 PM
They sometimes do indoors.

CJ

timmyrotter
05-09-2007, 01:19 PM
i must admit, i rather enjoy the cyro. especially cause it cools the place down in a hurry.

unshakeable15
05-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Is it legal to set the cryos off towards the crowd? Or would that be harmful? Because that'd be cooler than shooting it upwards I think.
The last Skillet show i was at (my it's been a long time) Ben got shot in the eye because he wasn't paying attention to where they were in the song enough to realize it was gonna go off. He looked down at it right as it went off. He said later it made his eye really cold, but so far, he's still got both eyes intact. :)

I really like that set-list idea. Even if the only songs on the list were ones Skillet knew how to play live, it would still be great to be a part of deciding even a song or two of the set list.

Unregistered
05-13-2007, 06:52 PM
As far as shooting cryo into the crowd, yes it can be done, if from any real distance. Alot of theme parks like Disney, Universal, etc. use cryo in attractions where you actually go right through it on rides. If you have ever gone through a cold non-see through fog on a rollercoaster ride, it was probably the same thing that skillet uses. (Fog or haze is not cold like CO2 and water mist is a somewhat transparent).

Back on the Collide tour, I heard that some of the production guys considered mounting the cryo onto the lighting truss and pointing it down to the band. I think that would have been cool. It requires longer hoses and cables though, so it has not been done yet, by skillet.

bob
05-13-2007, 08:30 PM
They should shoot John out of a cannon. :)

DarkestRose
05-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Then he can crowd surf in the audience. :)

terrasin
05-16-2007, 11:25 PM
And considering the cost of those stupid hoses, I highly doubt we'll see it happen.

Omlet
05-21-2007, 07:21 PM
i think they need bigger set lists and maybe a better light show.

bob
05-22-2007, 07:24 AM
Skillet needs to headline a tour to have a bigger setlist.

DarkestRose
05-22-2007, 07:26 AM
Have they headlined a tour recently? The tour with Decyfer Down, did they headline that one or did I just imagine that? I've been getting kinda used to Skillet being an opening band since they started into the mainstream.

BondageDuck
05-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Yeah, the tour with Decyfer Down is the Comatose tour. ANd the set list was unsually short. :(

terrasin
05-23-2007, 04:47 AM
They haven't formally announced a Comatose tour.

CJ

DarkestRose
05-23-2007, 07:17 AM
So were they just opening for Decyfer Down? Or was Decyfer Down opening for them? What tour was this a part of?

timmyrotter
05-23-2007, 07:37 AM
So were they just opening for Decyfer Down? Or was Decyfer Down opening for them? What tour was this a part of?

the only tour name i heard was "tour with Decyfer Down"
and Skillet was the headliner. basically any christian band that Skillet tours with Skillet will be the headliner.

BondageDuck
05-23-2007, 03:17 PM
They haven't formally announced a Comatose tour.

CJ

John said something about it being the Comatose tour onstage, & all the posters around here advertised the Comatose tour.

timmyrotter
05-23-2007, 03:30 PM
i have one of the posters, ill take a look, but i dont believe this was the official Comatose tour. the poster has the band shot from Alien Youth, and John thought that was pretty funny. he said "where the heck did they find this?" when he saw them.

LeShep
05-23-2007, 03:49 PM
more songs.... thats all I could actually complain about....I like the differnt songs from their diff era too.I would love to hear "fingernails" live

I guess i would like to be stingy and want to hear any and all songs at least once live :) :P

BondageDuck
05-23-2007, 05:01 PM
i have one of the posters, ill take a look, but i dont believe this was the official Comatose tour. the poster has the band shot from Alien Youth, and John thought that was pretty funny. he said "where the heck did they find this?" when he saw them.

Hahaha, that's funny. That's not the poster they had here though...the one here just had the kid from the cover of the album & it said "104.7 The Edge Presents: Skillet: The Comatose Tour."

timmyrotter
05-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Announcing Skillet & Decyfer Down Tour Dates!!!

Hey Panheads,

Skillet is hitting the road yet again with special guests, Decyfer Down, to perform new music from COMATOSE in a city near YOU! Get ready to rock your face off (and your grandmother's too!) See below for tour dates and purchase your tickets NOW before the shows sell-out!!!

Stay Strong,

Skillet

you'd think it would be called the Comatose tour somewhere in there...

BondageDuck
05-23-2007, 05:23 PM
I dunno, maybe my radio station just made it up. LoL.

timmyrotter
05-23-2007, 05:47 PM
I dunno, maybe my radio station just made it up. LoL.

i not saying i am right, im not sure either way.

bob
05-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Well, WELCOME TO THE SKILLET TOUR WITH DECYFER DOWN sounds rather lame.

BondageDuck
05-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Well, WELCOME TO THE SKILLET TOUR WITH DECYFER DOWN sounds rather lame.

HAHAHAHA, that made me laugh! :D

terrasin
05-23-2007, 08:02 PM
If it's a proper album tour, they will be touring with their own sound and lighting instead of having the venue provide them.

CJ

bob
05-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Are they going to have a Comatose tour?

(This would be the perfect time for management to chime in ;) )

BondageDuck
05-23-2007, 08:17 PM
Yes it would...Management, where are you?

As long as they come back to Albuquerque, I'm good. :)

PlayAtari2600
06-10-2007, 04:01 PM
I don't know how many of you have seen Trans-Siberian Orchestra live(if you haven't, you really should), but that have an absolutely amazing light show that, if slightly toned-down, would make Skillet absolutely amazing live, regardless of the set list.

Also, I'm sure there's some of you who have watched "Welcome to the Freak Show" by dc Talk. That was an INCREDIBLE live show, and it transferred to video well. Skillet should consdiering having something that massive on a tour. Seriously, it was incredible.

DarkestRose
06-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Trans-Siberiain Orchestra does have an awesome light show. When I saw them last Christmas they also had a flames and "snow" that descended on the audience.