NightCrawler
05-07-2007, 01:27 PM
What is truth?

"Something which accurately and correctly describes reality." ?

Critiques, definitions and fun are totally welcome.

[edit: this is to be differentiated with the thread regarding 'absolute truth']

The Lamma
05-08-2007, 01:17 PM
If it ain't wrong, its right. :P There is no grey... I would say truth is anything God has set and is. John 14:6 "I am the way, the TRUTH, and the life..."

NightCrawler
05-08-2007, 05:20 PM
So, if God has not set it... must it be false?

bob
05-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Truth is a matter of an opinion. For instance, a kid in my History 106 class refuses to believe anything the teacher says happened in the past simply because he doesn't trust anything. Yes, he's a bit of an extremist and I often wonder why he's in the class, but not everything that we're told is 100% correct.

The Lamma
05-09-2007, 11:13 AM
So, if God has not set it... must it be false?

If it has been set by the devil, it ain't truth.

Vuren
05-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Truth is through interpretation, and personal experiances.

skynes
05-10-2007, 03:44 AM
I think truth has various meanings depending on context.

Take a situtation where two people argue and fall out.

There are at least 3 kinds of truth here.

1. The absolute truth. This is what really occured, every word, every action.

2. Person 1's view. This is how they saw it, how their feelings and emotions distorted the truth for them.

2. Person 2's view. This is how they saw it, how their feelings and emotions distorted the truth for them.

To people, truth is distorted through our experiences, senses and bias.

But truth is not connected to us. It is separate from us.

If a tree falls in a forest with noone around, it STILL makes a sound. The airwaves will still vibrate from the impact. It doesn't require a person to hear it for it to be true.

So Truth must be true regardless of people involved.

Which leads me to say that there are more than kind of truth, our distorted truth and the pure truth.

The Lamma
05-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Good thinking, like always. :P

earthfiregurl
06-02-2007, 05:14 PM
If it has been set by the devil, it ain't truth.

Couldn't have said THAT any better!

someoneudontkno
06-03-2007, 02:15 PM
well, truthfully, that isnt completely true^, because soes the Satan not quote scripture when he is tempted in the desert? and it was said earlier that if its said by God it must be truth, but there have been groups of people that misinterprate the word of God, and use it falsly. then truth wouldnt be truth,... kinda contradictory. i agree that truth has many meanings, it just depends on ur standpoint, and also how the "truth" is used.

skynes
06-03-2007, 02:44 PM
^ Meaning that Satan will take something true, add a slight twist to it and present it. Thus while the facts (God's Word) may be 100% true, this new way of looking at it is false, thus turning the whole thing into a lie.

V-Ball Queen 32
06-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Truth is too messed up and confusing to try to figure out ... and that's the truth! ;)

The Lamma
06-03-2007, 05:52 PM
because soes the Satan not quote scripture when he is tempted in the desert? and it was said earlier that if its said by God it must be truth, but there have been groups of people that misinterprate the word of God, and use it falsly.

If you take scripture, which is of and set by God, and twist it around, its no longer of God but a 'creation' of sorts by the devil by messing it up.

NightCrawler
06-05-2007, 06:10 AM
Truth is too messed up and confusing to try to figure out ... and that's the truth! ;)
That's depressing. I'll try to figure it out myself regardless, thanks :P

skynes
06-05-2007, 06:13 AM
Truth is too messed up and confusing to try to figure out

So Christ is messed up and confusing is He?

John 14:6 "Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. "

lol.

The Lamma
06-05-2007, 10:55 AM
I kinda thought that, too Scott. Lol. Truth isn't the thing that is messed up. Its people's definition of truth that is totally, overly messed up. Everyone on the planet has at least a slight difference in their definition of truth. It may comply with the Bible, but we don't know everything, and the Bible doesn't say everything. Though it does say everything we need to know, mind you.

NightCrawler
06-05-2007, 11:46 AM
So, what is your definition of truth? Not necessarily Truth, but ...what does it mean to be true?

The Lamma
06-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Huh? To me, truth can only be Truth. I might think something is right, but it isn't always truth. To be true is to be genuine in what you believe, if thats what you mean by "what does it mean to be true?" If you aren't firm, you ain't true.

DarkestRose
06-06-2007, 06:05 PM
What he means by "what does it mean to be true" is what does it mean that truth is true?

alienyouth9292
06-06-2007, 07:46 PM
What he means by "what does it mean to be true" is what does it mean that truth is true?

*brain sizzles*:o

NightCrawler
06-07-2007, 05:38 AM
Huh? To me, truth can only be Truth. I might think something is right, but it isn't always truth. To be true is to be genuine in what you believe, if thats what you mean by "what does it mean to be true?" If you aren't firm, you ain't true.
So, how is one firm? I may genuinely believe something though it is false.

The Lamma
06-07-2007, 03:13 PM
To be firm, you must fill in as many holes as possible. A firm foundation will not hold if it has a crack when it is shaken. But a foundation with no cracks or holes is bound to stay in one piece.

theelectric3
06-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Jesus said I am the way, the truth and the life.

so to add a spin to this conversation, perhaps we should be asking ourselves WHO is truth? Who do we trust and believe to be truth, speak truth, live truth... of which we can base our lives off of? because personal truth is something that is embraced by an individual for a reason.

in choosing to believe, you are placing your trust in someone.

pidget
06-19-2007, 08:42 AM
I don't believe that any human, aside from Jesus, lives total truth. Many individuals will speak and live truth at times in their lives, but human beings are flawed, so they will not always operate in truth. After all, we chose to hand the world over to the king of lies when we first sinned.

I think we should also be asking ourselves, is there anything other than absolute truth? I mean, if something is partially true, or true only in certain circumstances, or only true to an individual, hasn't it ceased to be wholly and completely true, and therefore ceased to be truth altogether?
It's much like a "little white lie" being sinful. Even if a lie was intended for good, it is still a lie. In the same manner, even if something untrue resembles a truth, that doesn't change the fact that it is untrue. To say that human perception defines truth is foolish, that's like saying a snake isn't poisonous just because you believe it isn't. Regardless of what you think, if a poisonous snake bights you, you'll still get sick.

My brother wrote a blog on this subject that I think sets a nice definition for truth:

1. Truth is absolute.

"Truth endures to all generations." Psalm 100:5

Truth does not change over time. Truth is constant. If an idea really (and rightfully) changes, then it was not truth. It was culture, philosophy, opinion, preference or some other equivalent force on society.
Truth enlightens. It does not evolve.

2. Truth will offend.

"Jesus said to them, "Have you never read in the Scriptures:
'The stone which the builders rejected
Has become the chief cornerstone.
This was the LORD's doing,
And it is marvelous in our eyes'?.....
And whoever falls on this stone will be broken; but on whomever it falls, it will grind him to powder." –Matthew 21:42 & 44

"Therefore it is also contained in the Scripture,
"Behold, I lay in Zion
A chief cornerstone, elect, precious,
And he who believes on Him will by no means be put to shame."
Therefore, to you who believe, He is precious; but to those who are disobedient,
"The stone which the builders rejected
Has become the chief cornerstone,"
And
"A stone of stumbling
And a rock of offense."
They stumble because they disobey the message–which is also what they were destined for."
-1 Peter 2:6-8

Truth will cause people to be offended. It is inevitable. Truth will confront us. However, as the parable tells us, it is better to fall on truth and be broken than for truth to fall on us and be destroyed.

3. Truth gets inside of you.

"Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts,
And in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom." –Psalm 51:6

"He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him." –John 8.44

Truth does you no good until it gets inside of you. You can speak it. Say it. Be around it. But until it is inside of you, it cannot come out of you.

4. Truth will set you free.

"And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." –John 8:32

Truth cannot change to correspond with thought. Thought must be changed to correspond with truth.
Man can find all the gimmicks that he desires. Religion can concoct all the snake oils it wants. You can light aromatherapy candles. You can yell at devils. You can try everything the world has to offer. You can rebel against authority. You can excel in your career or family. But in the end there is only one way to be free. Know the truth. Let it make you free.

The Lamma
06-19-2007, 11:06 AM
In the same manner, even if something untrue resembles a truth, that doesn't change the fact that it is untrue.

Thats actually what the Devil does. Makes things look like truth, but its a big, ugly lie.

rock_out_loud7
06-27-2007, 09:06 AM
Well i think truth is god. I dont have a definition, but in the bible it says god is truth. And if you do anything in a lie or not in complete truth, then your not walkin in god and your bound ot have something bad happen.

NightCrawler
06-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Well i think truth is god. I dont have a definition, but in the bible it says god is truth.
There seems to be a lot of these responses /\

What does it mean to be true? Surely it doesn't equate to being godly.

(or if it does, that is an awkward... unexpected? way of looking at it...)

DarkestRose
06-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Wouldn't something being true simply equate to being what is? As in: the way things are?

The Lamma
06-27-2007, 01:34 PM
To be true is to not be false...Lol.

DarkestRose
06-27-2007, 01:38 PM
That's sort of switching the question around though. Because what does it mean that something is false? That's it not true. Well does it mean to be true?

The Lamma
06-27-2007, 02:47 PM
If you didn't notice, I was purposely stating the obvious, lol.

NightCrawler
06-27-2007, 04:38 PM
Wouldn't something being true simply equate to being what is? As in: the way things are?
Then wouldn't you have to define existence? Like, what objective reality is concretely?

DarkestRose
06-27-2007, 04:42 PM
I suppose. But not all of reality is concrete or sensory. So we would have to define reality beyond what is physical.

NightCrawler
06-27-2007, 05:04 PM
Do you think everything that is true must necessarily work together logically? Because then a large part of what is true could be known purely through logic. (a priori truths - for example, the hypotenuse's length in relation to the legs)