Shadow-Phoenix
05-09-2007, 11:30 AM
I've been going through some tough times as of late, and I think i am finally through the worst of it. I have heard it said that if it be God's will that two people are to be together, that God will make it happen. I consulted my pastor on this issue, and i think i understand what he was saying, but i was wondering if anyone else has thoughts on this...
My pastor (aka. my dad...) said that it may be god's will that two people are supposed to be together, but they must choose to to be in God's will. We are not puppets or robots. Because God wants us to, we have Free will, and are able to decide for ourselves who we should be with. so Is there any way that God would Make two people end up together?

skynes
05-09-2007, 11:34 AM
so Is there any way that God would Make two people end up together?

Do you mean, would God force it? I would say no to that. You could end up with a variety of people depending upon your choices.

I think though (no scriptural backing) that if you submit yourself to God's Will, there'll be one person in particular that He crafted for you and you for them, complementing each other in such a way that you'll conform the other to Christ's image.

That isn't to say everything will be peachy or that your personalities perfectly suit one another, there will be deliberate tensions and problematic areas, to teach you to love her unconditionally.

terrasin
05-09-2007, 01:21 PM
I don't believe that God has one specific someone out there for everyone. What I do believe is that God can direct people to meet each other, and then it is up to those two to decide what happens from that point on. That doesn't mean that everyone you meet has been sent by God as someone you're suppose to date, anyone can be a prospect. Use your best judgment.

CJ

Shadow-Phoenix
05-10-2007, 01:11 PM
thanks guys, Im gonna keep praying about this... thanks for the input!

DarkestRose
05-12-2007, 02:27 AM
Lately, I have been under the assumption that, if it were God's plan for me to marry, that God would have that person picked out in His mind.

The Lamma
05-12-2007, 11:25 AM
In my opinion, two people, not pick and choose which one, are destined for each other. Its just a matter of choosing to follow your destiny.

terrasin
05-12-2007, 12:28 PM
In my opinion, two people, not pick and choose which one, are destined for each other. Its just a matter of choosing to follow your destiny.
If that were true, it would contradict Gods idea of free will. Plus, then what of people who have divorced and remarried? Or those who were widowed and remarried? It's impossible for God to have chosen someone for us rather than letting us make the decision for ourselves?

Also brings up the point of, if he brings us the one, and we deny them, would we then never marry? This is why the whole soulmate concept is busted as well... it makes no biblical sense nor is it at all scriptural.

CJ

The Lamma
05-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Note this line that I said:
Its just a matter of choosing to follow your destiny.
We may have one person specifically made for us, but we can decide to go and marry someone else, but that someone else isn't made for us, and thats where divorces can happen. As for being widowed, God may pick a second certain someone meant for AFTER the death of the first. Note that this is only in my head, nothing specific to back it up. Opinions are opinions, not necessarily truth.

on_a_mission
05-13-2007, 01:02 PM
I categorically do NOT think there is "one perfect soulmate" that god has designed for us and it is up to us to wait for that person to presented to us by god. That kind of thinking sets you up for disaster, for no one is perfect. If you have problems, the first thought to cross your mind is this must not be my soulmate. No where in the bible am I aware of this being pointed with maybe the exception of Adam and Eve.

If you wait for that someone to be presented to you like a fairy tale, 9 time out of 10, you will end up an old lady who keeps cats! Furthermore, friendships and relationships help us grow and become a better person until we find the person we want to spend our life with.

terrasin
05-13-2007, 08:32 PM
I categorically do NOT think there is "one perfect soulmate" that god has designed for us and it is up to us to wait for that person to presented to us by god. That kind of thinking sets you up for disaster, for no one is perfect. If you have problems, the first thought to cross your mind is this must not be my soulmate. No where in the bible am I aware of this being pointed with maybe the exception of Adam and Eve.

If you wait for that someone to be presented to you like a fairy tale, 9 time out of 10, you will end up an old lady who keeps cats! Furthermore, friendships and relationships help us grow and become a better person until we find the person we want to spend our life with.
Agreed. I think a lot of people get this soulmate idea from the Adam and Eve story, though Adam and Eve never had a choice as God commanded them to multiply... plus, there is that idea that there was no one else and they were just happy to have another like themself.

But yes, if you're someone who waits for that fairytale romance, the prince on his white horse, living happily ever after... get real and get ready for a long wait. :P

CJ

bob
05-13-2007, 08:42 PM
But yes, if you're someone who waits for that fairytale romance, the prince on his white horse, living happily ever after... get real and get ready for a long wait. :P

But arent't the best things in life worth waiting for? :P

newday_7
05-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Heh so i was sitting in church today and i started thinking... if God had not destined one person to be with another, then what about mary and joseph.. God chose them to be together right? And it says in the bible also that God has a plan for you. So why wouldn't the person you may marry (which is a huge part of your life) be in that plan? I agree that you can choose for yourself and reject the person God had for you and stuff, but like in every plan of God's that He's let you screw up,(because of the choice He gives us) He always finds a way to work through it and He gives second chances... so i figure even if He had chosen someone for you and you choose differently, that doesn't mean you will never get married or the different person you marry won't be a good relationship or anything, it just won't be God's original plan...

on_a_mission
05-14-2007, 04:51 PM
But how do you know that waiting is God's plan? Perhaps it is that very journey through relationships that God wants you to take so you can learn to love that special someone. This goes back to one of my earlier threads about how to know what God is calling you to do....

on_a_mission
05-14-2007, 04:57 PM
But arent't the best things in life worth waiting for? :P

Perhaps, as long as you don't miss out on them because you are too busy waiting. It is like the story of the guy who fell overboard and prayed that God would save him. A helicopter came and he waved it away saying God would save him. A boat came by and he waved it away saying God would save him. A raft floated by and he waved it along saying God would save him. After drowning and going to the pearly gates he asked God why he didn't save him, and he replied I sent you three chances, but you were too busy waiting to avail yourself to them.

The Lamma
05-14-2007, 06:22 PM
But, not waiting at all would mean you jump into the water and drown. What you should do is wait, and then take the opportunity when it comes. It comes to you, you dont go to it. Well, at least for the most part.

bob
05-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Perhaps, as long as you don't miss out on them because you are too busy waiting. It is like the story of the guy who fell overboard and prayed that God would save him. A helicopter came and he waved it away saying God would save him. A boat came by and he waved it away saying God would save him. A raft floated by and he waved it along saying God would save him. After drowning and going to the pearly gates he asked God why he didn't save him, and he replied I sent you three chances, but you were too busy waiting to avail yourself to them.

I don't have women walking by me every day offering me to marry them. :P

The Lamma
05-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Lol. ^ Good point. :P

on_a_mission
05-14-2007, 07:40 PM
I don't have women walking by me every day offering me to marry them. :P

Nice quip - doesn't particularly further the discussion, but humorous.

Laerasyn
05-14-2007, 09:09 PM
I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the point of the "quip" was to illustrate that your metaphor is an exaggeration to the that it really doesn't apply. No one is suggesting that we should pass by perfectly good opportunities that God puts in front of us. However, I do not believe that we should take every opportunity we see; even if something seems ok to do, doesn't mean that that it is good or right to do.

I am personally of the belief that if God has a plan for each of us, this includes the person (if any) we are going to end up with. However, people do things all the time that are not in accordance with His plan, and God makes it work out. They just may encounter more hard consequences than God originally intended. If two people end up together who were not together in the original intent, they may be perfectly happy, and it may just not be as good as it could have been. Or it could end ugly. That's how I see it anyway.
And personally, I don't think God would purposely lead anyone into a relationship that was meant to end. He can use our choices to teach us things, of course, but I think that ideally we would do everything right the first time. Therefore, waiting can be a good thing, as long as you are sure to use discretion and don't have unrealistic expectations. And when you're not sure, I suppose it's just up to you to decide whether it's worth the risk or not. As I said, God can make anything work for the good.
Hope that made sense.

on_a_mission
05-14-2007, 09:17 PM
In your post, you make it sound like relationship = marriage. This is not what I am talking about. I agree that God would not lead us into a marriage that was fated to end. However, I can definitely see all sorts of relationships ranging from acquantance, through friendship, and even into dating that are fated to end for the sole purpose of teaching us something.

Laerasyn
05-14-2007, 09:35 PM
Ok, sorry, clarification time:
I was referring mainly to dating relationships, with the assumption that at least one of them would lead to marriage.
We could argue whether there is a point to dating otherwise, but I'm sure there's a whole other thread for that.

on_a_mission
05-14-2007, 09:40 PM
We could argue whether there is a point to dating otherwise, but I'm sure there's a whole other thread for that.

LOL! Agreed! I am almost afraid to start a thread on if you should date or not! ;)

The Lamma
05-15-2007, 11:42 AM
LOL! Agreed! I am almost afraid to start a thread on if you should date or not! ;)

There is a thread on that. :P And I was just thinking, God told (Hosea?) to marry an adulterous woman. God led him to a wife, but it wasn't a happy one, thats for sure. Not every relationship is gonna turn out perfect.

unshakeable15
05-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Hosea was also a Prophet who dictated to the people of Isreal God's message to them. His marriage was a symbol of Isreal's fornication with gods and rejection of Jehovah. How often are we told to be a symbol for that?

The Lamma
05-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Still, God told him to do it. But yeah, I'm probably not going to be a symbol of the corruption of Canada. :P