I Bite
05-15-2007, 07:06 PM
My sister and I have been appointed to find our household a new dog, since our current dog is getting a bit older.
I was thinking that some of you probably have dogs, and so you could give me some dog breeds that are
1) Family friendly. We have lots of little kids here, the dog must not be overly aggressive in its playfulness
2) Guard dogs. doesn't have to be total guard dog...just has to bark at the bears that come into the yard. :D
3) It'd be nice if the dog was less than $120

Honestly, we may end up just going to the pound to pick one out...But we were told to "do our research"...so..I'm doing it. ;)

DarkestRose
05-15-2007, 09:13 PM
My mom has four dogs: one basset hound, one great dane and two greyhounds.

Bassets are really friendly in playing and I hear that they are good hunting dogs, but I think a bear would eat them because they're kinda short. But I think pretty much any dog would bark at strange animals in the yard. I don't know.

bob
05-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Black lab would work perfectly. I had a black lab for 11 years. He barked whenever someone was near, he was extremely playful, he never bit me even though I wrestled him all the time, and I got mine for free from some lady when he was only a year old.

Tromos
05-16-2007, 04:34 AM
Bob's probably onto something. A black lab is a decent choice. We had one that we "rescued" that didn't work too well because she was too aggressive with our young children, but she was mostly grown and had never been around small children so she didn't know any better.

We have a boxer and, as much as I love her, a boxer is probably not your best choice. For one, they are expensive. Secondly, they take a couple of years to calm down and they tend to be very excitable unless they have a firm, controlled hand to steady them and are well-trained.

I've heard that shelties are very intelligent, are natural herd-and-protect animals, and they don't get so large that they intimidate children. That's just what I've heard, though. I have no experience with them myself.

froggie socks.
05-16-2007, 05:07 AM
Mastiff, they are like really big though, but they are really nice, and only bite people when they're trying to hurt someone, and they will bark at anything coming into your yard, but they are kinda expensive. but i bet, if you tried you could find a cheapish one.

bob
05-16-2007, 05:48 AM
Bob's probably onto something. A black lab is a decent choice. We had one that we "rescued" that didn't work too well because she was too aggressive with our young children, but she was mostly grown and had never been around small children so she didn't know any better.

A lot of people viewed mine as aggressive. Everytime you'd go near him he always wanted to jump on your shoulders. But when I was a little kid I used to ride on his back. :)

skynes
05-16-2007, 08:58 AM
I have a labrador and it's utterly adorable. It's also as thick as two planks of wood nailed together.

He's not much of a barker, but that may be just him.

Do NOT get a Jack Russell. Small, great wee guard dogs... but they're more aggressive than you'll ever want or need.

bob
05-16-2007, 09:08 AM
I have a labrador and it's utterly adorable. It's also as thick as two planks of wood nailed together.

Ha ha ha. So true. My Dog never learned to stay in our yard so we had to keep him on a chain. In his 12 years of life he never learned that if you kept running forward the chain would run out. So whenever I'd be walking up to him he'd nearly choke himself to death trying to lunge at me. :P

the rocker
05-16-2007, 02:33 PM
I have a cockapoo, half cocker spaniel, half poodle [but you can't tell HA]. He rocks. He likes everybody - meaning everybody. And he barks at every little kid that walks down the street, squirrel, rolling tin can..ect. He'd bark at your bears :P

Geneva
05-17-2007, 04:26 PM
I've got two chocolate labs. They're really friendly. I wrestle with the younger one all the time, and I never get bitten or anything.

They bark at things that are out of place (the cat somewhere she isn't suppposed to be, people outside, stuff like that), but the worst thing they ever do to people they don't know is lick their pants.

But they're both pretty stupid...

bob
05-17-2007, 05:07 PM
But they're both pretty stupid...

Precisely why dogs are man's best friend. :)

The Lamma
05-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Cats are pretty stupid, too. :P

Geneva
05-17-2007, 06:02 PM
Haha yes, they really are.

bob
05-17-2007, 06:53 PM
Yes they are, but they're not dogs. Hence, I don't like cats. :)

I Bite
05-17-2007, 07:15 PM
I've actually been looking quite seriously at labs of anytype...Thanks for all the advice you guys!

bob
05-18-2007, 07:03 AM
Do you prefer smaller or larger dogs? I'm partial to larger dogs.

I Bite
05-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Larger dogs. I really can't stand small yippy dogs.

frymeskillet
05-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Labs are nice, but for an indoors dog I would vote in a Dachshund.

I have Dapple Dachshund and he is playful and smart (He obeys and is house trained and he's never been trained professionally or by us very much) and he barks at anyone that he feels uneasy with. He's never bitten, although he snapped at a kid once at the lake (there were a lot of people and he had never been in a crowd before). Other than that, he is the perfect dog. Dachshunds are known for needing attention, it's in there breed to have to be around people, so yeah, he gets personal sometimes.

frymeskillet
05-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Larger dogs. I really can't stand small yippy dogs.

And as for this...they're small, but they have big dog personality. He definitely doesn't have a small dog bark, he sounds like I huge dog when he barks.

I Bite
05-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Labs are nice, but for an indoors dog I would vote in a Dachshund.

I have Dapple Dachshund and he is playful and smart (He obeys and is house trained and he's never been trained professionally or by us very much) and he barks at anyone that he feels uneasy with. He's never bitten, although he snapped at a kid once at the lake (there were a lot of people and he had never been in a crowd before). Other than that, he is the perfect dog. Dachshunds are known for needing attention, it's in there breed to have to be around people, so yeah, he gets personal sometimes.

Yah..But our dog is not going to be an indoor dog, and it has to be able to be outside in really cold weather in the winter, so I don't think a dachshund would work...

Geneva
05-20-2007, 10:48 AM
My labs are huge, but they think they're small dogs.

the rocker
05-20-2007, 02:54 PM
And as for this...they're small, but they have big dog personality. He definitely doesn't have a small dog bark, he sounds like I huge dog when he barks.Yeah, that's halarious. That's my dog.