cookie
05-21-2007, 10:16 AM
i need some ideas on how to get to sleep like last night i laid in bed for about 2 hours trying to get some sleep but that didnt work!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP ME!!!!!!!

aliengurl7
05-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Are you an insomniac? So, is my bro in law, he takes tylenol pm and it works for him. Are you can always try to count sheep, exercise thirty mins or an hour before you go to bed.

weebird20
05-21-2007, 10:24 AM
hmmm...are you thinking a lot when trying to get to sleep?...maybe stuff thats worrying you or what you have to do the next day? I'd say pray to God about all those things before you go to sleep...or even if you don't think your worrying about anything...just pray for a restul nights sleep...

If you can manage it maybe writing down anything thats on your mind before bed would help your mind be cleared out a bit...just a thought (i used to do this in a sort of prayer journal..writing down my worries like I was writing a letter to God) sometimes having that physical thing in front of you helps :)

lament
05-21-2007, 10:52 AM
If you're really stressed and have a fast paced life (like I do most of the time, lol) try reading before you sleep, writing in a journal the things that are bugging you, call a friend and get it out, or listen to soothing music before bed. Also, set a specific time to sleep so your body will get into the habit of sleeping at that time. Hope I can help!

bob
05-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Perhaps you have Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_sleep_phase_syndrome) like I do.

Tromos
05-21-2007, 12:15 PM
I golf.

In my mind.

I start on the first tee and visualize every shot I take - how I swing, how I hit it, how it flies, where it lands. Then I take the next swing. I'm usually asleep by the end of the third hole.

You can do the same with baseball (bring each batter up, visualize each pitch - the sign, the wind up, the ball flight, visualize the swing and whether it connects or not. Don't skip steps. Play it all out just like it was on TV) or with any other activity that follows a logical, repetitive progression.

Try not to let yourself get pulled away from the progression by stray thoughts.

And finally, don't ever use a conversation as the activity you visualize. Filling your mind with all the things you could have said or should have done will only make it worse. Heck, that was the problem in the first place, right?

cookie
05-22-2007, 10:17 AM
i'll try doing something tonight because in the past 6 months ive hardly got any sleep at all i would fall asleep about 2:00a.m. because i couldnt fall asleep or when i do i wake up around 3:30 im so tired i sleep in class

froggie socks.
05-22-2007, 02:14 PM
ha, you sound like me, i don't sleep much, i have insomnia, i blast skillet with my headphones for a while when i'm laying in bed, hoping for sleep, it kinda sorta blasts out all the thoughts. i just slip of the head phones and turn off the music and i fall straight to sleep, it's what works for me, i've heard that not all people can do that, but i can. so, try it. love and prayer!

the rocker
05-22-2007, 03:01 PM
I listen to music before I sleep too, but half the time I fall asleep with the zune still playing. Then a loud part of wierd pitch will wake me up a few hours later.

DarkestRose
05-22-2007, 03:57 PM
I could never sleep listening to music.

bob
05-22-2007, 04:03 PM
My problem is that I can't stop thinking. My Dad's helpful advice through out my childhood was "just think of nothing". :P I just can't stop my mind from having stuff going through it. *shrugs*

riz
05-22-2007, 04:45 PM
If you can manage it maybe writing down anything thats on your mind before bed would help your mind be cleared out a bit...

This is a brilliant suggestion; I've tried it before, and it has worked most of the time. Especially if what I was thinking was heavy and ponderous, and I knew it was hindering me from falling asleep.

When I was younger, and I wanted to fall asleep fast, I pretended I was riding roller coasters in my brain. I envisioned the track in my head, whether it would be wooden or steel in design, and how big it would be, and what the name of it was. I think if I tried this now, I'd be awake longer, trying to finish the ride rather than getting lost in all the information and dozing off.

Bassplayer
05-23-2007, 11:23 AM
haha, i never thought of roller coasters... that's cool. if i can't sleep, i'll imagine myself in the ocean and gently rocking with the waves, or i'll pray. i find that i fall asleep alot when i pray (horrible thing to do i'm sure, but at least the last thing i think about is God, lol:) i can't sleep with music, i'll stay in a light sleep and wake up at like every-other song until the CD stops. then i'll fall asleep. but if none of those help, i'll sing in my mind or quote poetry/movies.

alienyouth9292
05-23-2007, 11:30 AM
i have to pray or i will not fall asleep....its like a rule in my mind or something lol.....

I Bite
05-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Go to a college class and record the lecture. Play it when you want to sleep.

:P

bob
05-24-2007, 12:50 AM
I golf.

In my mind.

I start on the first tee and visualize every shot I take - how I swing, how I hit it, how it flies, where it lands. Then I take the next swing. I'm usually asleep by the end of the third hole.

You can do the same with baseball (bring each batter up, visualize each pitch - the sign, the wind up, the ball flight, visualize the swing and whether it connects or not. Don't skip steps. Play it all out just like it was on TV) or with any other activity that follows a logical, repetitive progression.

I actually just tried that for like the last hour. :P I played through 18 holes and then I thought to myself: "Uh oh". :P So now it's 5AM . . .

cookie
05-24-2007, 09:36 AM
i always sleep with my music on and i get very distracted sometimes its actually quite anoying::]

froggie socks.
05-24-2007, 01:22 PM
haha, that's just weird, acctually, i kinda used to do the same thing, but i got to where that made me where i couldn't sleep, so i just listened to music really loud before bed, then i could not get destraced when i was trying to sleep. so, yeah, just turn it off.

DarkestRose
05-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Bob and Tromos should compete in sleep-golfing scores.

The Lamma
05-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Sometimes I'll actually listen to Underoath before going to sleep, but with the iPod volume at its lowest, minimal notch. And if its stresses or worries in life, or you are thinking about someone (like maybe someone you like, which I do think about often) it almost always helps to pray to God about it, and it really lifts it out of your head for the night. For me writing can sometimes help, but I haven't done it enough at night to really notice.

DarkestRose
05-24-2007, 07:18 PM
I usually read at night and when I feel so sleepy that I have to start re-reading whole paragraphs out of the realization that I have obtained none of the information my eyes have run over, I decide to sleep.

Or I'll write or think about what to write. But that also has a tendency to re-wake me up again.

bob
05-24-2007, 07:21 PM
I usually read at night and when I feel so sleepy that I have to start re-reading whole paragraphs out of the realization that I have obtained none of the information my eyes have run over, I decide to sleep.

I can waste 2 hours doing that. I'm so stubborn. :P

The Lamma
05-25-2007, 08:36 AM
Heheh, I hate it when you read something then you suddenly realize "Hey!! What the heck is this paragraph talking about? What did I just read?!" Its drives me nuts, lol.

Tromos
05-25-2007, 10:21 AM
Bob and Tromos should compete in sleep-golfing scores.

If the goal in golf is to get the lowest score and I only get through 3 holes while Bob plays all 18, I'm sure to win ;D

The Lamma
05-25-2007, 03:04 PM
^He makes a very good point.

bob
05-26-2007, 12:51 AM
:(

froggie socks.
05-26-2007, 04:50 AM
haha, maybe bob should only play 3 for a little bit.

The Lamma
05-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Hmm...Bob, I have an idea. Play 3 holes 6 times!! Lol.

bob
05-26-2007, 09:17 AM
My grand total amount of sleep today was 3.5 hours. I went to bed at 5:30 . . . it's so weird going to bed when it's kind of light outside.

The Lamma
05-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Darn rising sun...Lol.

I Bite
05-26-2007, 12:29 PM
lol! try living here in the summer!
It's pretty much always light out, and in places up North, it is.
Here the sun dips down a bit at 2 in the morning, so it's twilightish, then comes back up, and its light out again.
Makes for lots of late night games outside.

The Lamma
05-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Where is 'here'? Lol

I Bite
05-29-2007, 11:28 AM
Alaska

The Lamma
05-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Ok, I was guessing it was Northern. So you're really closer to where I live then the rest of the States? Lol. Cool. :P