bob
05-22-2007, 08:29 AM
I think it's unattainable . For those of you who don't follow current events, Palestine attacked Israel again and now Lebanon is involved. If peace in the Middle East is possible I don't see any evidence of it.

DarkestRose
05-22-2007, 08:33 AM
On one hand, I agree.

On another, I still have "nothing is impossible" idealism that I used to weigh against that, which probably is impratical optimism.

But the concept of total peace in the Middle East is, at least, improbable.

timmyrotter
05-22-2007, 08:48 AM
not gonna happen

PlayAtari2600
05-22-2007, 10:35 AM
It's a nice dream, but an impossible goal. It's like getting peace anywhere else at any time, it's impossible. What is peace anyway? We can't even agree on our own definition of the word peace.
We go there and we fight an invisilbe enemy. The only way to guarentee no more car bombings is to take away the cars.

forceflow17
05-22-2007, 11:04 AM
there will be peace in the middle east when Christ returns to the earth and reigns as king

unshakeable15
05-22-2007, 02:55 PM
But what does this mean for us as followers of Christ? Do we just throw up our hands and call out to every Middle Eastern country "We give up! You can just blow each other to a million pieces; we obviously can't stop you!"

timmyrotter
05-22-2007, 03:25 PM
But what does this mean for us as followers of Christ? Do we just throw up our hands and call out to every Middle Eastern country "We give up! You can just blow each other to a million pieces; we obviously can't stop you!"
i would almost rather give up the middle east, excluding isreal, and just continue to aid them. because there is no way without blowing a country up (doing what we should have done to Iraq in the first place) that a democracy will withstand. so the argument can be made that we are wasting time and money over there.

unshakeable15
05-22-2007, 03:32 PM
So "Que cera, cera, whatever will be, will be"?

What about doing the best we can to bring about justice and peace to the world. Micah 6:8 "Act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with your God." Is it acting justly to let atrocities run rampant? Even if we only slow the charging rhino down a little bit, shouldn't we do it to allow as many people as possible to get out of the way beforehand?

bob
05-22-2007, 03:43 PM
I honestly don't know, it's quite a predicament. I just don't see the value of wasting our money, time, and soldiers on the farce we call the Middle East. It just seems so futile since the fighting has never and will never stop over there. But I agree that we can't abandon Israel.

theelectric3
05-22-2007, 06:41 PM
look at the belief system of those attacking Israel, and our enemies, and you will see there is no "let's talk about peace." they don't want peace. they want control over the world. (seriously.)

i believe America must continue defending (and supporting) Israel.... even if it means joining them in battle.

somasoul
05-22-2007, 06:44 PM
Blessed are the peacemakers..........

theelectric3
05-22-2007, 07:02 PM
[Held in reverence; honored and fortunate are those who make peace – especially by reconciliation,
For they shall be called the offspring of God.
(Hebrews 12:14; Ephesians 2:14)]

you do have a very valid point Tim.

where do you draw the line in terms of defense? i'm not advocating a global military stance... but the right to defend ourselves. do we let those who declare war on us simply kill us?

and i am reminded that our war is not with flesh and blood. thus showing the power (and need) for the God's children to be in prayer.

God tells us in His word that we, as believers (politics aside), MUST defend the state of Israel.

"I have set watchmen on your walls, O Jerusalem;
They shall never hold their peace day or night.
You who make mention of the Lord, do not keep silent..." Isaiah 62:6

(watchmen: a person who keeps guard over a building at night, to protect it from fire, vandals, or thieves.

to protect something... there are times when physical force is needed. not always. but sometimes.)

We are commanded to pray for the peace of Jerusalem (refer to Psalm 122:6-9)

"For Zion's sake I will not hold back My peace,
And for Jerusalem I will not rest..."
(Isaiah 62:1)

we, as Christians, owe much to the Jewish people. For through them, God brought forth His Son into this world to save us (Jesus was a Jew). God is passionate about His people (all who believe in Him and in the Jewish race). Afterall, God told Abraham (the father of the Jewish people) that He (God) will bless all who bless you (the Jews) and curse those who curse you (the Jews).

bob
05-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Matthew 10:34 comes to mind: “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword

DarkestRose
05-22-2007, 07:44 PM
This is kinda tracing back to the War thread.

bob
05-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Well, the opposite of peace is war . . .

DarkestRose
05-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Um...true. But I was thinking that we're kinda getting on the topic of "Is war ethical?" instead of "Is peace in the Middle East possible?"

bob
05-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Well, we all agreed that peace in the middle east is impossible. So we were discussing whether we should bother with the area or not becuase it's always going to be Hell-on-Earth.

DarkestRose
05-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Well, I said improbable.

theelectric3
05-22-2007, 09:21 PM
[sorry for helping it to go off... i was taking it to what role do we have in the middle east. what obligation do we have to Israel. since the fact is there is war over there. it's been there for years... and doesn't appear to be leaving anytime soon based on those getting into power over there.]

bob
05-22-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm always dissapointed that Britain isn't held responsible for any of it's actions that it has done to the Middle East over the years following WWI and WWII.

Fly74
05-22-2007, 09:29 PM
I think we should protect's Israel to exist and take action in the middle east when it becomes imparative that we should do so. (such as Iranian access to nuclear weapons with a maniac in charge of them)

theelectric3
05-22-2007, 09:31 PM
(^ that is already taking place as we are sitting here.)

Fly74
05-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Only time wil tell how this plays out.