NightCrawler
05-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Okay, so this surprised me. Bush got this thing passed so that he can do whatever is necessary when under a significant emergency. I am not much of a politician, but I know this is along the same vein as letting the gov' be able to give compensation for seizing property when it is needed by the gov' and also the Patriot Act.

I am not liking this much at all.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55824

Vote small government. Power to the people. Vote Libertarian.

bob
05-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Small government would be nice. But at this point of time the government does so much now that cutting back the social programs would hurt a lot of people.

timmyrotter
05-23-2007, 06:54 PM
doesnt Darth Sideus on star wars do that, then we know what happends...

Bush isnt Republican anymore, first Amnesty to illegals now this...

NightCrawler
05-23-2007, 07:10 PM
http://www.ontheissues.org/TX/Ron_Paul.htm

Vote for Ron Paul -- a conservative Libertarian going on the republican ticket. : )

DarkestRose
05-23-2007, 07:15 PM
He's not as pro-life as I would like.

bob
05-23-2007, 07:15 PM
I saw Ron Paul in the GOP debate that was back a few weeks ago. I liked some of his answers.

NightCrawler
05-23-2007, 08:15 PM
He's not as pro-life as I would like.
Which part did you disagree?

He is Libertarian on everything except that he is pro-life.

Fly74
05-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Ron Paul made some comments on 9/11 that somewhat offended me. (and apparently Gulianni.) I also cannot agree with his stance on the Iraq war at all.

bob
05-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Bush got this thing passed so that he can do whatever is necessary when under a significant emergency.

I seem to recall a certain Leader (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/84/Palpatine1.jpg) doing this once. :P

But on a serious note, this isn't the first time something like this has happened. Abe Lincoln suspended habeas corpus during the Civil War which was illegal. But we have a judicial branch that makes up laws instead of interpreting the constitution, why not have an executive branch that doesn't follow the constitution as well?

bob
05-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Upon reading the whole directive (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/05/20070509-12.html) it seems like this is so the fumble that happened on behalf of FEMA durign Katrina won't happen again.

But yes, there is the fear that it could allow a President to become a dictator.

DarkestRose
05-24-2007, 07:37 AM
Which part did you disagree?

He is Libertarian on everything except that he is pro-life.

He is pro-life in that he voted to ban partial-birth abortions.

But Ron Paul voted no on restricting the interstate transportation of minors to get an abortion twice. He also voted no in making it a crime to harm a fetus during another crime. And he voted no on making it federal crime to harm a fetus while commiting other crimes. I don't agree with those stances.

terrasin
05-24-2007, 09:15 AM
Allow me to steal a quote from Michael Savage which I absolutely agree with 100%

Liberalism is a mental disorder

Listening to him the other night, he was going off about how Bush has completely ruined this country... and if you know who this guy is, you know he's completely conservative. That says a lot right there. He went on saying exactly the same thing about Bush no longer bring a Republican, but went further to say he's destroyed the whole republican party.

Frankly, I think Savage has one of the best political minds in the world. I wish I could vote him in as President. :P

CJ

timmyrotter
05-24-2007, 09:18 AM
Allow me to steal a quote from Michael Savage which I absolutely agree with 100%

Listening to him the other night, he was going off about how Bush has completely ruined this country... and if you know who this guy is, you know he's completely conservative. That says a lot right there. He went on saying exactly the same thing about Bush no longer bring a Republican, but went further to say he's destroyed the whole republican party.

Frankly, I think Savage has one of the best political minds in the world. I wish I could vote him in as President. :P

CJ

got to love Savage... where do you think i got my bad thoughts about bush? :)
Id vote for Savage for president. but more realistically Tony Snow would make a great president, i used to love his radio show. but i guess he has cancer now so mabye its not realistic at all...

DarkestRose
05-24-2007, 09:27 AM
I don't think I've listened to much of Michael Savage. I've heard a fair amount of Laura Ingraham, but that's pretty much it for conservative radio.

TheFireBreathes
05-25-2007, 06:58 PM
fight terrorism!
vote Republican!

terrasin
05-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Most of the republicans are against the war on terror now, mate. :P

DarkestRose
05-25-2007, 09:47 PM
But weren't they against the concept of pulling out of the Middle East until they felt it was stable enough?

Quadripedman
05-28-2007, 03:46 PM
yeap. too bad that the middle east isnt going to get stable any time soon....

just like to make a point...well sorta...i think that it sums up the war in iraq pretty dang good...

Don't you know the war is far from over now
What a stumbling block we've fallen over now
As our brothers die defending no one
The war is far from over now

(Sacred Lie - Distubed)

somasoul
05-30-2007, 03:59 AM
Do we really think a political party is going drastically change anything?

riz
06-27-2007, 07:09 PM
I'd rather vote for the candidate I agree with most, rather than some political party.