eowyn
05-27-2007, 07:38 PM
Hey Guys!

I have a favor to ask of you all. I hope that it is okay that I am asking for help here.. Mods if you feel this is inappropriate, please close this..

I am writing a Community Development paper for my Resident Assistant Traing Program. What do I need from you?

Glad you asked. I'm trying to brainstorm about fun programs to plan for next year!

What's the BEST program you ever went to? Why did you like it so much? What are some fun activities that your RA has helped put on?

Basically, ANYTHING that you have enjoyed going to at college, TELL ME! Even if you never lived on campus, but still went to on-campus activities, what was your favorite?

For those of you who AREN'T college students, what's the best activity you did with your church/youth group/camp, etc.

Thanks girls and boys.. have a fantastic 9th week and Memorial Day! Remember our veterans.

Sam

Joseph Raul 1973-Marines
Edward -Army
Bob -Marines

The Lamma
05-28-2007, 12:18 PM
What kind of programs are you talking? I like paintball when my youth group goes, and I like all nighter/sleepover fundraisers. I don't exactly what kind of stuff your looking for.

earthfiregurl
05-28-2007, 12:57 PM
I loved going to BattleCry with my youth group! I have so many funny stories! If you want to here some of them just ask me.

eowyn
05-28-2007, 05:48 PM
Llama-It can be anything really...paintball sounds so fun. I'm trying to plan ideas for my floor if I am a Resident Assistant which basically means, that I am in charge of like 20-30 college students who live on the floor. I help them get adjusted to life, and show 'em where all the fun is! I'm also at a secular university, so I do have a limit on what I can plan... anyways..hope this helps to clarify!

The Lamma
05-28-2007, 06:23 PM
LAMMA!! Paintball is a sweet social activity. Concerts are awesome. I saw a bunch of students from a local college go to Anberlin, too. They didn't mosh or anything, but they loved it. Bands like Anberlin, Skillet, ect probably wouldn't be a problem with the secular group. Heh, maybe you could do on-campus airsoft I dunno. :P Oh, and food always brings people together. The more and the junkier the food, the better. :P

DarkestRose
05-28-2007, 06:46 PM
The best youth group experience I had was at Creation West '05. So perhaps attending a concert or some music thing would be a good idea? The only problem with that would be having a large group agree on a genre.

It could be something small though. If it were a smaller group I would suggest going out for coffee. Perhaps a house party of sorts?

The Lamma
05-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Coffee and donuts. Never forget food. Food ALWAYS, ALWAYS bonds. :P If it was just hang out and food, you could bring in some activities, say board games, a game console, football, ect. It depends on your group.

unshakeable15
05-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Mods if you feel this is inappropriate, please close this..
No problems at all. :) But i did change the name to be a bit more descriptive.

eowyn
05-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Unshakeable-you are amazing.

Is there a difference between Lamma and Llama? *Confused* Thanks again for the ideas guys..keep 'em coming!

The Lamma
05-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Lamma is my panheads name, llama is an animal. I've also made 'lama' to mean a llama with a pan for a head. :P

the rocker
05-30-2007, 11:55 AM
haha..okay

unshakeable15
05-31-2007, 03:52 PM
Unshakeable-you are amazing.
I try. :)

Everyone loves a scavenger hunt. Video scavenger hunts are fun too. Especially since Walgreens (and other such pharmacy places) have disposable video cameras that you can use then have them 'develop' on a DVD.

DarkestRose
05-31-2007, 03:53 PM
^The video scavenger hunt is a really good idea. That sounds fun. Probably one of the best ideas.

eowyn
05-31-2007, 05:20 PM
Keep the feedback coming guys! I got offered my position this afternoon..which basically means I have a full ride..tuition and room/board..but gotta pray..anyways..more ideas more more!

love the video/camera idea..have done that..super fun
perfect way to get new students to know the town

The Lamma
05-31-2007, 05:49 PM
Everyone loves a scavenger hunt. Video scavenger hunts are fun too. Especially since Walgreens (and other such pharmacy places) have disposable video cameras that you can use then have them 'develop' on a DVD.

I've also done photo scavenger hunts. Basically you break into groups of 5-7, depending on what the group leader's car is. You just need one digital camera per group, and you have to come up with the most clever picture for each random question on the paper, and try to do them all within one or two hours. Afterwords you quickly upload it all onto a computer and put it into a simple slideshow. Its quite fun. My youth group does it like once a year.

Oh ya. Another sweet thing is 'The Amazing Race'. Our youth group has done it, and our local youth conference has done it. No cars. About 5-7 people, as well. You get a sheet of paper and it tells you to go somewhere. You go there, find the person, who may be hard to find or not, and he/she tells you to do something random, weird, brave, ect. Once you complete the task you get a clue to go somewhere else, and you keep doing that until the end. You also have a time limit. You can also get time bonuses and stuff from doing certain things. If you want more detail, I have a lot more I can give you!!

I Bite
06-04-2007, 07:13 PM
So I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for, but if you're looking for games, I can give you a couple.

At my friends' party the other day, we played Chubby Bunny and Spew. They were really fun...and it wasn't just my little 15 year old brain saying that...My friend was turning 21 and the other people there were all at least 17..So.

Just in case you don't know..
Chubby Bunny is where everybody stuffs the big marshmallows into their mouth until they cannot say "Chubby Bunny" legibly. Each time you take a marshmallow you have to say "Chubby Bunny". Whoever can handle the most marshmallows wins.

So that was fun, but Spew was the best.
What you do is you take an Alka Seltzer {just the regular kind} and soda. You need someone who isn't playing to give you commands.
So everyone has an alka seltzer in their hand, and the person thats giving commands will tell you to put the alka seltzer in your mouth. Then he/she will tell you to take sips of soda, about every 10 seconds. It fizzes so bad, you can hardly get any soda into your mouth after the 2nd sip...But the whole point is to see how long you can hold it in your mouth...It bubbles and bubbles and goes up your nose...Whoever is the last person to spit it all out wins.
Its a lot of fun.

The Lamma
06-05-2007, 11:07 AM
We did a kind of spew thing for the Amazing Race thing we did. An Alka Seltzer tablet and a Dixie cup of water is all you need, and you have to hold it for a minute before you can carry on. IT BURNS!! Make sure you bring a camera, though, especially if you want to see what your friend look like with rabies. :P

eowyn
06-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Great ideas guys..keep 'em comin'! I'm officially "Sam the RA in North Hall"! So excited and so blessed for this opportunity.