bob
06-12-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm interested in people's thoughts on this. America's presence in the World has been on the rise ever since the Spanish-American War. But the rise of nations such as China and India might challenge America's place in the world. I think that America is losing it's place as the number one power. Sure we've probably got the strongest military, but China is sure kicking our butt economically.

DarkestRose
06-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Well, I suppose my first thoughts always are, if a country like China is the new leading world power, how does that affect us? How does that affect the world? Being that the atheist worldview is gaining momentum in China, how would that affect Christianity?

lamb_servant72
06-13-2007, 04:02 AM
We've known for over 20 years that when you have a highly populated country, and the government only allows one child per family, and the majority of females are aborted in favor of having a male child...there's in going to be a huge army to contend with down the road.

skynes
06-13-2007, 05:11 AM
Well, I suppose my first thoughts always are, if a country like China is the new leading world power, how does that affect us? How does that affect the world? Being that the atheist worldview is gaining momentum in China, how would that affect Christianity?

My response would be "Like America is any different?"

there's in going to be a huge army to contend with down the road.

As they say the Chinese army use one of three tactics:

1. Strong offense

2. The fast retreat

3. Sneak small units of one to two million across the border.

DarkestRose
06-13-2007, 06:00 AM
While America has the "mainstream Christianity" thing going on, it still has about three-quarters of its citizens who claim to be a Christian, whether Protestant or Roman Catholic. Now, some of these people may be Christian in name only. But there is a larger Christian population than in China, especially considering that here nobody is in legal trouble for saying God is above the government.

skynes
06-13-2007, 06:14 AM
While America has the "mainstream Christianity" thing going on, it still has about three-quarters of its citizens who claim to be a Christian, whether Protestant or Roman Catholic. Now, some of these people may be Christian in name only. But there is a larger Christian population than in China, especially considering that here nobody is in legal trouble for saying God is above the government.

That is an assumption. I don't think there's confirmed figures for how many Christians are in China, it could be significantly higher than the US (taking fakes into account).

One thing you can be pretty much certain of is that those in china who claim Christ KNOW Christ. Cause they take a death penalty risk just for saying it.

DarkestRose
06-13-2007, 06:25 AM
And that's the problem is cool to be a Christian in America. Politicians have to show that they have faith (even if it's fake) if they want to be voted for.

True about Chinese Christians, that their faith has to be genuine. It was really great that you pointed that out.

The Lamma
06-13-2007, 12:02 PM
America is going down the drain, sadly. Our generation, and the one before us, have been dumbitized, and there is a major reason the Chinese are rising. Have you even challenged a Chinese someone in anything? In sports they are easily more competitive. Americans are learning to be slobs, while the Chinese know efficientness.

I also thought that I'd point out that there are 'registered' churches in China, which have to abide by certain rules.

DarkestRose
06-13-2007, 12:03 PM
There are some Christian churches, but they cannot say something like "Obey God over the government."

Quadripedman
06-13-2007, 01:34 PM
i agree with llama.

america is going down the drain. i.e.: main new article: paris hilton going to jail.

people care more about some loser star going to jail than they do a government scandal.

i want to rant more, but i cant think of anything at the moment...:(

i will return...

The Lamma
06-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Paris got out early...Thats another thing showing our nations (I'm including Canada!!) going down the toilet.

Geneva
06-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Didn't she get out early because she was "sick" ?

NightCrawler
06-13-2007, 04:24 PM
I think that America is losing it's place as the number one power.
On what basis? The following?

Sure we've probably got the strongest military, but China is sure kicking our butt economically.
This is BS. US has the largest economy in the world, california alone is the 5th largest economy. China is NOT kicking our butts!!

Why do we have overseas work and manufacturing? IT IS CHEAPER THERE.

Now, in other sources... here is the following list of world economies:

Largest World Economies
No. Country......... $US billions*
1. USA................... 10,208
2. Japan.................. 4,149
3. Germany................ 1,847
4. United Kingdom......... 1,424
5. France................. 1,307
6. China (exc.HK)......... 1,159
7. Italy.................. 1,089
8. Canada................... 700

* gross domestic product

China is NOT a threat, nor is any one country any time soon.

bob
06-13-2007, 04:53 PM
China is NOT a threat, nor is any one country any time soon.

Who owns the majority of the US Treasury bonds? We're 8 trillion dollars in debt and China owns most of it. I see that as a problem.

I agree, the US Economy seemingly has no threat, but we currently have an export deficit. We're importing way more than we export and that's never good for an economy.

bob
06-13-2007, 04:59 PM
America is going down the drain, sadly. Our generation, and the one before us, have been dumbitized, and there is a major reason the Chinese are rising.

I don't necessarily agree with that statement. I don't believe America is going down the tubes socially as much as we fear. It's just that with the technological advances we've had you hear about everything. The same stuff has been happening for thousands of years.

The Lamma
06-13-2007, 05:00 PM
With the rate America is dropping and the rate at which China is growing, it will be. With a nation of slobs encounters a nation of efficient hard working people, whos gonna win?

The Lamma
06-13-2007, 05:02 PM
I don't necessarily agree with that statement. I don't believe America is going down the tubes socially as much as we fear. It's just that with the technological advances we've had you hear about everything. The same stuff has been happening for thousands of years.

Oh? I bet you haven't heard the Hollywood is dying, then. It is. You may not know it, but it is.

bob
06-13-2007, 05:03 PM
I don't care if Hollywood dies. :P

The Lamma
06-13-2007, 05:15 PM
Nor do I, but I'd still like some form of video entertainment. But that wasn't my point.

skilletfreak101
06-13-2007, 07:08 PM
With the rate America is dropping and the rate at which China is growing, it will be. With a nation of slobs encounters a nation of efficient hard working people, whos gonna win?
ummm...the slobs of course...heehehehe

alienyouth9292
06-13-2007, 07:10 PM
America started ailing when we got the idea that we could just send all of our supplies to China or Japan and they could make 'em dirt cheap. if another large war comes along, were screwed cause then we will have to start making stuff in America again. it won't be easy.....

The Lamma
06-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Among hundreds of other smaller, key issues...

TheFireBreathes
06-14-2007, 01:43 PM

Arerica is also a democracy and free enterprise. China is communist.

bob
06-15-2007, 07:58 PM
China is communist.

Please, tell me one thing about China that's communist. They don't practice communism at all, they just oppress their people.

unshakeable15
06-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Oh? I bet you haven't heard the Hollywood is dying, then. It is. You may not know it, but it is.
What does that mean, "Hollywood is dying?" Explain yourself sir! Also, some documentation (aka, references) would be nice as well. Not that i don't trust ya... ;)

bob
06-17-2007, 07:34 PM
You see, it's actually a girl named Holly Wood. It's quite tragic actually.

TheFireBreathes
06-18-2007, 08:43 PM
I Am Hollywood

The Lamma
06-19-2007, 12:29 PM
You see, it's actually a girl named Holly Wood. It's quite tragic actually.

I just heard about that... Its hilarious. But I wasn't talking about that. Sorry Mike, at the moment I can't come up with much source. But my family is a movie making family, and we're kinda part of an independent movement which is based in San Antonio. Down there is an independent Christian film fest run by Vision Forum Ministries. Anyway, they had some speakers, we bought the CDs, and the mentioned its dyingness.

Vuren
06-20-2007, 12:25 AM
who cares about how strong our military is, when we've alienated most of our long term allies(the dutch view both our government and citizens as idiots, as do the british people, the germans...ha, they aren't happy. Russians feel like we want to invade them, the middle east hates us(and properly so, we've tried to act like the world police and we aren't, the UN is) Greece loathes us. so really we've upset so many different countries we should be more worried about how to fix that.

DarkestRose
06-20-2007, 01:26 AM
We should take down the UN and put up a Starbucks.

NightCrawler
06-20-2007, 11:22 AM
That is awesomely capitalist. I appreciate and agree. ... even though I don't drink coffee.

The Lamma
06-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Oook then....

DarkestRose
06-20-2007, 11:37 AM
I should say pretty much quoted Mark W. Smith from his book The Official Handbook of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy (pg. 73), so that people don't think I'm a plagarizing jerk.

I do agree with his assessment, however.

bob
06-21-2007, 03:10 PM

You got my vote.

At least it'd serve a purpose.

The UN frustrates me so much. Ever since it came into existence there have been over 90 wars, famines, and genocides. They do a great job.

The Lamma
06-21-2007, 03:52 PM
LOL! When did they come into place?

bob
06-21-2007, 04:42 PM
You've never learned about the UN before?

They came into existence in 1947 I think. It was either that year or some year shortly after WWII.

somasoul
06-21-2007, 05:19 PM
It's the blue helmets. What kind of "peacekeeper" wears turquoise?!!? Might as well give 'em all tube tops while we're at it.

The Lamma
06-21-2007, 06:12 PM
You've never learned about the UN before?

They came into existence in 1947 I think. It was either that year or some year shortly after WWII.

I'm a Canadian homeschooler who has been taking an over-view of history and hasn't gotten past the 1500s yet. :P

bob
06-21-2007, 08:35 PM
It's the blue helmets. What kind of "peacekeeper" wears turquoise?!!? Might as well give 'em all tube tops while we're at it.

Leonardo:

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/12inch_Leonardo_TMNT-01.jpg

I'm a Canadian homeschooler who has been taking an over-view of history and hasn't gotten past the 1500s yet. :P

That's most unforunate. History doesn't get interesting until the discovery of the Americas and the European powers start losing their grip.

TheFireBreathes
06-22-2007, 09:31 PM
i think i lost interest after the 50's

The Lamma
06-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Rome's history was actually fairly interesting. The crusades were just plain weeeird.

someoneudontkno
06-26-2007, 06:34 PM
lol. this went kinda off subject....

If America is losing status in the world, and China's moving up.. ... .... . seems like we should be moving to China...... er sumthin.. i dont wanna be here when we arent looked at as the best place to live in the world. i want to be in China. :P maybe the Chinese will like me because im from Texas...

but seriously. i dont believe America is gonna be beat out by china fer awhile. but who knows. America is the land of the fat and the rich.

DarkestRose
06-27-2007, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't move to China. You can't worship God as freely there. You can in a government-sponsored way, but not in a "God is the ultimate power even beyond the Chinese government!" way. Missionaries there have to be somewhat covert about their activities for that reason.

The Lamma
06-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Yeah, I'd never move to China for that reason. But America WILL be beat out some day, unless we reform. It may be when were 50, or it might happen to our children. Either way, its going to happen fairly soon.

bob
07-02-2007, 10:04 PM
I found this article to be highly interesting:

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/070630/books_madeinchina.html?.v=1&.pf=family-home