somasoul
06-17-2007, 10:38 AM
I've been wondering lately what the purpose of church is.

Is there a set group of objectives is tries to accomplish or anything? I'm not talking about THE CHURCH, simply A CHURCH.

Teaching?
Evangelism?
What?

skynes
06-17-2007, 03:29 PM
I know what the purpose SHOULD be. I don't know what individual purposes are.

Joelle
06-17-2007, 05:02 PM
the purpose of church...well i guess it's to help you with your relationship with God. I mean i know people who have become Christians but didnt go to church and they just stayed the same way they were before when they really needed leadership and teaching on how to live for God. so i guess church just really helps. its supposed to anyway

Vuren
06-19-2007, 12:02 AM
In my experiances it's been to completely forget the bible and just hate...but hey that's nebraska for ya;)

Though if you let me use temple then it's to help you learn and even let the non-believers learn and be there to answer questions.

seriously the Jews have been more helpful to answering questions then christians have been in town. And i won't even touch the catholic churchs in town.

DarkestRose
06-19-2007, 12:52 AM
I think that the church’s main purpose is to bring glory to Jesus Christ and to fulfill God’s plan on earth.

I do believe that the church is called to evangelism. However, I don't think that means the church sermons are supposed to be “seeker friendly,” because then members of the church are not fed or challenged in their faith. But I do think that the church is still called to “make disciples of all nations,” whether that be my witnessing to our family, friends and community acquaintances, or sending out missionaries.

The church is also meant for the edification of Christians. So we are counseled, taught, given fellowship with other Christians. All of this nurtures of our faith, oh—and supporting members within the church when there is a need.

I’m sure someone else could add to this though. It’s hard to make an exhaustive statement.

skynes
06-19-2007, 03:41 AM
However, I don't think that means the church sermons are supposed to be “seeker friendly,”

Before someone jumps on it. I corrected it.

DarkestRose
06-19-2007, 03:58 AM
I always do that! I thank you!

bob
06-19-2007, 06:16 AM
Well, if you take a peek at The Beatitudes (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%205:%201-12;&version=50;) I think that gives a nice idea of what the Church is supposed to do. Also, Jesus lays down a pretty good idea in Matthew 25: 34 - 36 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%2025:%2034%20-%2036;&version=50;).

So why doesn't the Church do these things? Good question. We've set up our government to take care of issues like that. Now I'm not saying part of the Church doesn't do it. There's a wondeful ministry near me called The Westminster Resuce Mission (http://www.westminsterrescue.homestead.com/) and there are plenty more rescue missions around the country that provide such needs and are sponsored by Churches. Christians also seem to like arguing over petty things like whatever gossip is new and who's doing what. Instead of attacking each other we should actually be doing something good.

The Lamma
06-19-2007, 11:12 AM
I believe that the church's main purpose is for Christian fellowship. Through fellowship we can learn together, support each other, and support those in need. I've also come to realize that it is not a place for atheist and the like to come. There has been things like Jonathan's 'The Flies' story where the character goes to a Church, but they preach something about finances, and also Skynes has said a bit about that stuff. But the Church is also there so that through fellowship we can support missionaries, whether world-wide or local.

somasoul
06-19-2007, 03:11 PM
I've also come to realize that it is not a place for atheist and the like to come.

Are you saying athiests should not come to church?

The Lamma
06-19-2007, 05:05 PM
Basically. It is for people who are already Christians to support each other. Also, preachers often preach applicable to only Christians. Finances, prayer, spiritual gifts. The stuff they preach would simply confuse a non-believer. Skynes, do you have anything else?

aliengurl7
06-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Basically. It is for people who are already Christians to support each other. Also, preachers often preach applicable to only Christians. Finances, prayer, spiritual gifts. The stuff they preach would simply confuse a non-believer.

Like they get confused at Harvest Crusades?

The Lamma
06-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Sorry, I dont know what Harvest Crusades are.

skynes
06-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Skynes, do you have anything else?

There is a difference between an outreach event, to which unbelievers should be invited, and normal run of the mill church.

Normal church is supposed to be for the building up and encouragment of believers, to train and equip them, not to be seeker friendly.

Do have outreach, do preach the Gospel, do invite them to events for preachig the Gospel. Generic Sunday morning church though isn't for them.

1 Cor 2:14 "But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. "

DarkestRose
06-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Like they get confused at Harvest Crusades?

I don't know. The cast of the movie Saved! apparently went to one of those events for research and they didn't seem to understand it at all. So maybe they do get confused at Harvest Crusades.

That said, however, Lacey Mosley from Flyleaf became saved in part from her grandmother making her come to church one day and having a clergy member approach her.

However, I still am very skeptical of using church as an outreach program. Once my church had a sermon about homosexuality and a non-Christian there, who didn't have the convictions about it being a sin, would likely think that Christians are bigots from such a sermon. Or if it is a sermon about finances, they may think the church is just a scam to get their money. I did read a book my a Jewish author who did field research about a Christian school and he cerebrally understood most of their theology in a "fundamentalist Christians believe this..." sort of way and he understood what biblical references were being made. But I don't think a non-Christian could go any further than that.

NightCrawler
06-20-2007, 11:27 AM
James 1:
27Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

1 Timothy 5:
3Give proper recognition to those widows who are really in need. 4But if a widow has children or grandchildren, these [children or grandchildren] should learn first of all to put their religion into practice by caring for their own family and so repaying their parents and grandparents, for this is pleasing to God.

The church is meant to reach the lost in love, a testimony to the God whom we worship. No one will be saved by words alone, only by love and God's grace. Therefore, bible studies are meant for teaching. Prayer groups are for encouragement and communion. Services are meant to song worship. The rest is being active in the community.

The Lamma
06-20-2007, 11:30 AM
What Skynes said is what I say. :P Outreach things like Alpha and the like are different from Sunday morning preaching, and are meant for people to go to when they know nothing of the faith.

aliengurl7
06-20-2007, 04:28 PM
I don't know. The cast of the movie Saved! apparently went to one of those events for research and they didn't seem to understand it at all. So maybe they do get confused at Harvest Crusades.

That said, however, Lacey Mosley from Flyleaf became saved in part from her grandmother making her come to church one day and having a clergy member approach her.

That's how I was saved at a Harvest Crusade the message Greg Laurie was preaching didn't confuse me but made me interested in knowing more about God and it may confuse some but it makes others pick up a bible. Church can be okay.

The Lamma
06-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Just a couple question, Michelle. Did you know anything about God beforehand? Is it possible this preacher was the type that preached to the choir, not the Christians in the audience? Just curious.

aliengurl7
06-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Just a couple question, Michelle. Did you know anything about God beforehand? Is it possible this preacher was the type that preached to the choir, not the Christians in the audience? Just curious.

I knew a little bit about God but not a whole lot at the time. And at Harvest Crusade Greg Laurie's preaching was mainly directed at unbelievers but it was also a chance for believers who may have backslidden or just wanted to rededicate their lives to Christ.

The Lamma
06-21-2007, 06:34 PM
That would be why. Too many pastors forget about the choir (people who don't have the Christian faith). But there are those who only preach to them, and you obviously hit one of them. :)

NightCrawler
06-22-2007, 09:35 AM
wait

hold up, guys

Let's think about this.

If the church's purpose is not obvious and evident, then that means we aren't sure what we are supposed to be doing ... let alone can we even assume that most of us are evening doing it by accident.

Holy crop.

This is a problem.

The Lamma
06-25-2007, 01:39 PM
If you study in your Bible about the church, you will eventually know. But about 99% of Christians dont.

DarkestRose
06-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Did you know that 85-percent of quoted statistics are made up on the spot?

bob
06-25-2007, 06:03 PM
If you study in your Bible about the church, you will eventually know.

What about you? :)

My Pastor actually mentioned this in his sermon this week. Here's what he said:

The purpose of a Church:

1. Invite
2. Instruct
3. Inspire
4. Involve

And the cycle repeats itself.

The Bible commands the Church to go to the lost

NOT for the lost to go to the Church

You can't expect the lost to walk through the door without an invite.

My Pastor was speaking out of Luke 14: 15-24 by the way.

DarkestRose
06-25-2007, 06:04 PM
And all the purposes start in "I"!

bob
06-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Well, it's easier to remember that way. ;) I didn't even have to pull out my notes that I took on Sunday to make that post.

The Lamma
06-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Did you know that 85-percent of quoted statistics are made up on the spot?

Who said it was quoted? HAHAHAHA!! :P

What about you?

I admit, I haven't looked a ton into it, but I do remember bits and pieces about the church, and really, it was waaay different than it is now.

The Bible commands the Church to go to the lost

NOT for the lost to go to the Church

You can't expect the lost to walk through the door without an invite.

Exactly.

DarkestRose
06-27-2007, 04:36 PM
Some guy in my health class said that quote, Lamma. But I only paraphrased him since that was in my underclassman years.

rock_out_loud7
06-27-2007, 07:48 PM
I think the main pupose of church is to get together with fellow children of god and worship him. And then hear the word of god. Now in my church, we are taught what it says in the bible, and nothing but that.
Now I dont know if this is true, but I think there is a verse in the bible somewhere that says we are supposed to go to church. I could be wrong.

DarkestRose
06-27-2007, 07:50 PM
We are told to not neglect the meeting together with other Christians. And the Christian church was established back in Acts.