timmyrotter
06-18-2007, 04:43 PM
so just after they outsource 800 jobs paying from $20-$30 an hour at Freightliner in Portland, to Mexico. (thousands over the past 10 years) only to pay Mexicans a percentage of that. my dad who has supported a family of 7 on a working janitor's wages for the past 27 years, is at great risk for losing his job next month. i am scared, not for me, or my older sister, but for my 3 younger sisters and my parents, my dad is less than 20 years from retirement, i just hope they dont ruin his great retirement plan. this is terrible. true capitalism sucks! once all the industrial jobs are in another country, Can America survive on Wal*mart wages? i am distraught about the matter... there is no way a 47 year old high school grad janitor can find another job that pays as much as the one he has...

pidget
06-18-2007, 08:33 PM
I've been in your shoes before, Timmy, and I know how scary this can be. Remember what Jesus says in Matt. 6: 25-34. For right now, especially keep in mind verse thirty-four:

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." [NIV]

I know it's easy to tell you not to worry about it, but much harder to actually stop yourself from worrying. My family has always struggled with finances. The wages my dad gets at his job are the best he could possibly get where we live. The company he works for tries not to outsource to other countries, but because of that they can't lower their prices like the ones that do, they've had to downsize a lot in the past few years. There have been many times when he has been at risk of losing his job to a layoff, and if he were to lose it, basically, the bills we have would not get paid, and we would not eat. Simple as that. But God also knows that, which is why my dad still has his job. Verses thirty-one and thirty-two say this:

"So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Fathers knows that you need them." [NIV]

I know it sucks to hear this, but you're just gonna have to trust God. He will provide for your family, and He's not just going to let your family starve or get kicked out on the street.
There was a time when I was younger, before my mom started working, when we pretty much had no money to buy groceries. My dad's entire paycheck had to be used to pay our bills. We could only afford to buy about two gallons of milk a week, and two bags of cerial. With eight mouths to feed, that wasn't much. But guess what? During that whole time, our chickens layed more eggs than they ever had before, or since. They layed enough eggs to feed all eight of us for lunch and supper, every day. Sure, we weren't exactly living like kings, eating corn flakes every morning for breakfast, and scrambled eggs for lunch and dinner, but we had food.
So don't worry about the provision of your family, instead

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? ... And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor of spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you?" Matt 6 v. 26, 28-30 NIV

God will protect your family, whether your dad loses his job or not. God's the best Father around, He knows exactly what His children need, and has infinite resources to provide for them. So put your trust in Him, and let your soul be at ease.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Phil. 4:6 + 7 NIV

bob
06-18-2007, 09:04 PM
I hate corperate America.

I feel for you man, I really do.

I'll certainly be keeping your family in my prayers.

DarkestRose
06-18-2007, 09:57 PM
I'll be praying for you too, Timmy.