NightCrawler
06-23-2007, 03:15 PM
They say life is not fair.

Yet God is fair.

They say we need justice, as though we do not have justice in this life.

Yet God is just.

And how can life be not fair, if God is fair? Or how can life not have justice, if God is just?

Is God just? Is God fair?

Is life just? Is life fair?

skynes
06-23-2007, 04:14 PM
God does not contain sin.

Life does contain sin.

That is your answer :)

Sin makes things not fair.

NightCrawler
06-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Grace doesn't contain sin, does it? Is it fair? :D

skynes
06-24-2007, 03:11 AM
The wording of your first post insinuates that the 'unfair' you're talking about is the lousy stuff that happens undeserved. i.e. the old good dying young, rotten living forever, bad things happen to good people nonsense.

Sin makes life unfair, that is true. It is what makes all the evil and lousy and painful things happen.

Grace doesn't contain sin, does it? Is it fair?

So this ^ is you trying to twist my words :)

Grace is not fair, but not in the use of the word I was using or your first post insinuated.

Grace is not fair in that gives good things away to those who do not deserve it. However Grace would not be possible if justice was not already done.

In other words we have grace to salvation today, because Jesus paid the price long ago. Justice was served :P

----

And reviewing this... I conclude that it is the most pathetically weak argument I have ever made.

Tromos
06-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Grace is not fair, but not in the use of the word I was using or your first post insinuated.

Grace is not fair in that gives good things away to those who do not deserve it. However Grace would not be possible if justice was not already done.

Just a small syntactical comment here.

I disagree that grace is not fair. I don't think grace can be fair or unfair. It is a thing. I do agree that the giving of that grace to us - just like the giving of any undeserved gift - is unfair. But it is the giving that is unfair, not the thing given.

And to the original point, I believe that there is fair and there is FAIR. There is justice and there is JUSTICE.

In each case, the former is limited by our human laws and our human understanding. The concepts of "fair" and "justice" (and "rights" for that matter) that we know and practice are imperfect, tainted, subjective things.

But when applied to God, these things are applied with a universal perspective, a viewpoint that takes in all things and all beings and all places and all times in the mind of a perfect being. Inevitably FAIR and JUSTICE will be very different concepts when taken in that context, and I think it would be reasonable to say that we will never be able to reconcile fair and FAIR or justice and JUSTICE until we can see that same perspective.

The Lamma
06-25-2007, 01:26 PM
"The beauty of grace is that it makes life unfair." - Relient K. We are sinners, and we deserve to be thrown into everlasting punishment. But God sent His son to die for us, and brought in grace. Because of His death and of grace, we have the choice to accept the Lord and live forever. That is what is unfair.

someoneudontkno
06-26-2007, 06:19 PM
what about for people that wouldn't see things like this. say, some would say that God isn't fair because of the standard crap that happens in life. an example:

Lucy has been living her life like she knows she should... in fact better that anyone would expect her to live like. John on the other hand could care less cause he's in life for the ride. something i've seen is that when something comes along and effects both of them, John doesn't really care cause he knew it was bound to happen. Lucy wasn't prepared, and was devastated. was it fair that it effected Lucy when she wasn't ready? Of course not... but then again, why isn't it? the rain falls on the wicked and the righteous, doesn't it? Lucy will think to herself, "This is so unfair!", when through this whole time, her life was great. she didn't think any storm could come along and knock her down. is it fair then for something that is bigger that we want it to be comes along? it is fair because God doesn't give us anything that we can't handle.. and everyday He gives us the chance to build up our faith. but Lucy, in her perfect little life, didn't see it necessary to do anything extra.. she was already doing everything good. is it fair? How bout asking if its fair when we don't take these chances. is life fair to God? are we fair? usually its not life thats not fair... its an effect of what we might of done, or didn't do. is it fair to God that we didn't prepare ourselves, and then we blame him?

--------

sorry if this seems a little jumbled and messy at all.. I've
been brain dead today and I'm trying to get it working again..

DarkestRose
06-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Sometimes bad things aren't about the fairness or unfairness of life but God's work.

Such as people dying for God and their lives pastoring to many as an example of Christian commitment. Is it fair for these families that lost someone? Maybe. Maybe not. But it's not really about that but about what can come out of the situation.

God can use our hard circumstances to give hope to others and inspire others and to teach us, keep us strong in faith. So even if pain doesn't seem fair, it doesn't seem purposeless either.

Tromos
06-27-2007, 05:49 PM
In all fairness, the price we paid for our first sin would be death.

Anything else is mercy.