timmyrotter
06-25-2007, 05:51 PM
everyone must have a band or two, or more that initially peaked your interest/obsession for music. now im not tlaking your favorite band per say, but the one that really got you hooked on music, or a certain genre. what is yours and explain why.

its hard to believe that i cant think back too clearly. but i listened to music as a child, but the band that first got me fired up was Raze (i dressed like them for awhile) and Audio A, Some kind of Zombie to be exact. then of course Newsboys, then that led to Skillet and Christianrock.net actually introduced me to many of my favorite bands.

BarlowgIRL
06-25-2007, 05:58 PM
I LOVED Crystal Lewis as a kid. I wanted to sing just like her, and I could hold notes as long as she did. When my mom said something against her I defended her. Then I went to a concert in Bakersfield where Out of Eden opened for her. After the concert some girls were backstage getting Out Of Eden's autograph but I wasn't allowed back there to get Crystal's. She didn't want to sign them. So I took down my posters and didn't listen to her anymore. This is back in the day when Air1 was good. I heard Skillet's Alien Youth and fell in love with them. I listened to them and Audio A and Newsboys. Then as Audio A and Newsboys got soft and Skillet, Relient K, and Five Iron Frenzy got harder my taste in music grew to the music that my family hates because they define it as "noise". So now here sits a hard rock chick listening to soft songs on Air1 cause I want to win the dumb contest so I can go to Spirit West Coast and see the bands that I can rock out to.

alienyouth9292
06-25-2007, 06:10 PM
mine would definitely be 12 Stones. i got the 12 Stones cd and that is basically the way i wanted Christian music to sound. i was later introduced to tobyMac, switchfoot, and kutless....i still go back and listen to the 12 Stones cd and i am still in awe of the greatness of that disk lol

Quadripedman
06-25-2007, 06:27 PM
the first cd i got was the young and the hopeless by good charlotte. i got the rest of their cds, and then a friend let me listen to some disturbed on his mp3 player, which intro'd me to the hard rock/metal genre after getting ten thousand fists. the i got toxicity (sp, i can never remember how to spell that...) by system of a down after hearing the title track. i went to california to visit some relatives and got vol. 3: the subliminal verses by slipknot which intro'd me to the heavier of music. my girlfriend at the time got me skillet's cd, collide after i was saved which intro'd me to the christian genres. so now, here i am, listening to about everything lol. (except country and rap.)

theelectric3
06-25-2007, 06:58 PM
(i remember those days when air1 was really good! wonder why it changed? hmph)

bands that really got me into music:

third day (first cd all the way), newsboys, shaded red (R.I.P.)... then skillet.

and gotta thank the Spirit West Coast music festival (back when it was good) because it was my first major introduction to the whole music scene and i was hooked. :)

as~i~lay~dying
06-25-2007, 07:17 PM
I was totally into Raze as well ... and Stacie Orrico, Jump 5(all the Pre-teen geared bands) When I was about 12 or 13 my Teacher gave me a 12 stones C.D as a going away present- and I was introduced to a more mature (and better) style of music)

terrasin
06-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Queen, Europe, Aerosmith, KISS, pretty much every 80's retro band... nuff said. :P

Quadripedman
06-26-2007, 08:26 AM
i strongly dislike all "classic" rock bands. >:(

DarkestRose
06-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Jump5 got me interested in Christian music back in my preteen years. Before then I didn't like Christian music because it didn't feel relevant to life at all. At least not mine. But Jump5 wasn't very deep at all so I got bored of them quickly.

Skillet was the first Christian band I ever loved. That was back around my sophomore year. I heard about Skillet through !Hero: The Rock Opera and was intrigued by John's hair. The first CDs of theirs I heard were Hey You and Invincible, the latter first. Then I heard Collide because it had just come out and I was floored by their songs, especially Savior. So I got all their CDs, listened to them non-stop. And Skillet got me interested in the hard rock, metal and other more hardcore genres of Christian rock which seem deeper to me because rock is a format that deals with pained issues more often. I love Flyleaf because they are similar to Skillet to me.

But also Jennifer Knapp because she has such spiritually poetic lyrics and brutal honesty.

skilletfreak101
06-26-2007, 10:38 AM
i strongly dislike all "classic" rock bands. >:(
umm you know what kid...that is pure blasphemy!!!! classic rock is where it all began!

pizza brain
06-26-2007, 04:11 PM
Skillet got me started. Before that all I had was POD LP and Creed after that I started searching for other bands as good as Skillet

aliensoul_squire20
06-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Up until I was 11, I wasn't so big on music. I listened to music, of course, but very little, and only a few artists. I'll admit it, at that age I enjoyed NSYNC and Hanson as favorites, I couldn't tell you exactly when I dropped that taste, but it was before I was 11. I listened to little else back then.

But when I was 10, my brother got Skillet's Invincible. Back then I didn't really like them, never gave them much of a chance until just under a year later when I got a copy of Alien Youth. I couldn't believe that I turned my nose up at them before.

It was with that album that my love for music really started. I couldn't believe that there was such a thing as "Christian rock", or that it could be so amazing. Ever since, I've been craving new music. I listened to a few secular bands for a while, including Linkin' Park, I've almost completely dropped secular music, with the exception of "Weird Al" Yankovic. Now, I'm not sitting here thinking, "oh, since I'm a Christian, God only wants me to listen to Christian music, and I can't like anything secular". It's just, I can't seem to enjoy bands that aren't focused on spreading God's message, especially the ones that swear, even if it's once in a while, as opposed to an album soaked with profanity.

Anyway, about a year after I got into Skillet and Christian rock, I started writing songs. And now, 5 years later, I've got 112 songs written. And it's made me think that that is what God wants me to do in my life, because He's given me a gift to write songs and to sing, and my love for music is almost obsession.

Listening to Christian rock has kept me in check and has been my strongest connection point to God. It keeps me alive even in my lowest points and deepest depression. I believe that if it wasn't for Skillet and other Christian bands, I'd be a messed up kid. My life is almost a complete photo negative of the stereotype on kids who grew up in a broken home, and of kids who are police officers. People would probably expect me to be messed up because of my home life, because of my father.

But I'm a good kid. The only thing that I'm ever really in trouble for is getting bad grades (mostly in English and 2 years of French). And I attribute all that to Skillet's ministry and all the other Christian bands I listen to.

alienyouth9292
06-26-2007, 06:19 PM
wow

Quadripedman
06-26-2007, 10:13 PM
umm you know what kid...that is pure blasphemy!!!! classic rock is where it all began!

sorry, but its just not my style.

skillet (and other bands) has also helped me tremendously.

the rocker
06-27-2007, 09:38 AM
um..the first music I really listened to was stephen curtis chapman..feel free to lol. But TFK and Skillet were what pulled me into rock.

zjf
06-27-2007, 09:49 AM
I'd have to say the big ones that REALLY got me into harder music (I used to listen to soft bands all the time from my parents choices for me, until a friend handed me Disciple's This Might Sting a Little and Zao's brand new (at the time) Splinter Shards The Birth of Separation.

The 'new' sound of this music got me interested more and more. I discovered Tourniquet, Dream Theater, Demon Hunter, Training for Utopia, Whitecross, Stryper (I grew up in the 90's, but prefer 80's retro music honestly), and turned me into a hard rocker at work wearing an Offspring shirt, and listening to classic metal/rock online radio, despite the fact that it's technically against the rules to stream audio here. :-P

Other musicians that inspired me to become one myself include Jazz influences like Maynard Ferguson, blues musicians like Stevie Ray and BB King, acoustic musicians like Dave Matthews, Bebo Norman, and a few others.

The Lamma
06-27-2007, 01:55 PM
I've been listening to our local Christian radio station since I was really little, and they play everything from Newsboys to Switchfoot to Skillet to Steven Curtis Chapman to Kirk Franklin. But as for one band...TFK, maybe? I'd say TFK and Relient K were my biggest influences. Thats probably why I love both rock and punk so much. Newsboys and Jars of Clay were some other influences, as well. For hip-hop/rap stuff, probably John Reuben and Toby Mac. Lets not get to country. :P

Quadripedman
06-28-2007, 09:40 PM
steven curtis chapman is my best friends cousin or second cousin..

BarlowgIRL
07-01-2007, 04:38 PM
And his music still sucks....

Quadripedman
07-05-2007, 10:26 AM
lol. ive never heard anything from him. so i would know ::]

unshakeable15
07-05-2007, 01:59 PM
When my parents told me an my sister we could order 3 tapes (yes, tapes) from one of those mail-order CD selection deals, i got a Psalty tape, an A Capella tape, and Michael W. Smith's "Change Your World. i was blown away by Smitty's songs and the upbeat stylings.

From there, it was Newsboys, Rebecca St. James, The Waiting and a couple others. I can't remember what my first rock CD was, but POD's "Southtown", Audio A's "Underdog" and Grammatrain's "Flying" are near the beginning. Then Skillet took over. From their i've come to love lyrics more so than the music (but that still remains crucial).

pidget
07-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Well, the one who probably started me really loving music (I'm almost embarassed to admit) was Carmen. When I was like five he was a big deal, and I really loved him. ::]

The really funny thing is, with most of the music I now love, the first thing I remember thinking about them was "who are these freaks?" Like Skillet back when I saw the Alien Youth cd my sister had, Three Days Grace when I saw their Just Like You video, and Thousand Foot Krutch when my bro had their first cd. It still cracks me up that when I was little I hated them, and now they're some of my favorites. :P

the rocker
07-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Wow, weird, same thing with me. tfk annoyed me for a long time. Until I snapped out of it.

DarkestRose
07-05-2007, 04:01 PM
I related to what Mike said about Rebecca St. James. If it wasn't for her, I might not have been interest in !Hero: The Rock Opera and then I never would have heard of John Cooper nor become a Panhead.

Pashin Froot
07-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Hmm...I also started with Jump5. i was about 10 and they were on DisneyChannel (hehe...lame!). They really got me into more Christian music. Then a fellow Youth Group member told me about Skillet so I went onto iTunes and got 2 of theit songs. I LOVED THEM! After that, I found someone who was obviously just as(or possibly more) obssessed with Skillet! So I just had to get those other CD's! I was hooked...better than drugs eh?

Quadripedman
07-05-2007, 07:12 PM
lol, yep :D

if it wasnt for skillet, i probally would know any Christian music.

bekbel
07-06-2007, 02:15 PM
everyone must have a band or two, or more that initially peaked your interest/obsession for music. now im not tlaking your favorite band per say, but the one that really got you hooked on music, or a certain genre. what is yours and explain why.

its hard to believe that i cant think back too clearly. but i listened to music as a child, but the band that first got me fired up was Raze (i dressed like them for awhile) and Audio A, Some kind of Zombie to be exact. then of course Newsboys, then that led to Skillet and Christianrock.net actually introduced me to many of my favorite bands.

Oh man! Did you just say "Raze?" You have officially made my day...I had forgotten all about them...how classy...

bekbel
07-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Well I am proud to say that Skillet was really my first taste of what I love. I went to one of their shows at a local high school when I was around 9, and I have been hooked ever since (but not obsessively until a couple years ago lol). Seeing them in concert now brings back goood memories haha.

earthfiregurl
07-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Skillet Rocks!!!!

Quadripedman
07-07-2007, 11:13 AM
no way, skillet is horrible. -.-

(Sarcasm....)

aliensoul_squire20
07-08-2007, 06:25 PM
no way, skillet is horrible. -.-

(Sarcasm....)

:o :o :o :o :o

How dare you say that!!!!!!!!??

I mean, come on! That's horrible.....

I have no idea what sarcasm means! ;) ;) ;) ;)

Nah, just kidding. I'm not that dumb;D