bob
06-25-2007, 06:31 PM
So what's the most farfetched excuse you've heard for someone not believing in God? This has to be my favorite:

Fallacy: Can God create a taco that's too big for him to eat?
No, he can't because then he wouldn't be absolute truth.

My take: Whenever God speaks something, it's truth. So if there is one thing God can't do, it's sin. Since lying is a sin, he can't lie.

I find that people fall back on absurd excuses when they're pressured in a conversation. It's actually kind of amusing sometimes.

DarkestRose
06-25-2007, 07:01 PM
The lamest excuse I heard is that Christianity is "not for me" as though it's all about matching your personality with the preferred religious/spiritual belief.

skynes
06-26-2007, 12:18 AM
Worst I hear is the:

How can God be good and loving when so much evil is done in His name...

I compare it to this:

Bobby didn't do his homework today...

Teacher "Bobby why didn't you do your homework?"
Bobby "Because Lisa hit Sarah"

somasoul
06-26-2007, 04:52 PM
The lamest excuse I heard is that Christianity is "not for me" as though it's all about matching your personality with the preferred religious/spiritual belief.

Yeah. This is what gets me. If there is a God, his existance does not depend on what you think/feel.

someoneudontkno
06-26-2007, 05:54 PM
probably the worst excuse that i could think of for not believing in God is not that they don't believe, or even that they're mad at him, but that they're parents were Christians and their lives didn't go anywhere, and they didn't do anything with their faith. but it's not the excuse, just the fact that they aren't going to try to experience anything He has to offer because of something the generation before them failed to do. whenever i see this in my friends i want to reach out, but as far as i reach, they crawl further back.

Quadripedman
06-26-2007, 10:25 PM
probably the worst excuse that i could think of for not believing in God is not that they don't believe, or even that they're mad at him, but that they're parents were Christians and their lives didn't go anywhere, and they didn't do anything with their faith. but it's not the excuse, just the fact that they aren't going to try to experience anything He has to offer because of something the generation before them failed to do. whenever i see this in my friends i want to reach out, but as far as i reach, they crawl further back.

thats exactly how my mom is! she grew up in a really strict catholic family, and now she says shes a christian, but doesnt believe most of the Bible (revelations, Jesus dying for our sins, , hell, etc. mostly)

NightCrawler
06-27-2007, 09:29 AM
thats exactly how my mom is! she grew up in a really strict catholic family, and now she says shes a christian, but doesnt believe most of the Bible (revelations, Jesus dying for our sins, , hell, etc. mostly)
I think that means she likes the Christian culture, but isn't a Christian at all.

Quadripedman
06-27-2007, 09:33 AM
I think that means she likes the Christian ure, but isn't a Christian at all.

pretty much, yea. it really makes me sad :'(

RJ91classic
06-27-2007, 10:33 AM
The lamest excuse I've heard is that religion is for hypocrites

NightCrawler
06-27-2007, 12:19 PM
pretty much, yea. it really makes me sad :'(
I am sorry. :-\

The Lamma
06-27-2007, 01:40 PM
"If God can do anything, can He make a boulder too big for Him to lift?" A lot similar to Bob's. What does that have to do with anything? If God could do that, it wouldn't matter because He WOULDN'T. Forget about those little details that won't matter EVER in ANY instance. Totally lame excuses...

DarkestRose
06-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Those are questions that simply display a misunderstanding about the nature of God. They mistake God being all powerful with God being able to do anything, which is not true because God cannot sin.

NightCrawler
06-27-2007, 04:32 PM
"If God can do anything, can He make a boulder too big for Him to lift?" A lot similar to Bob's. What does that have to do with anything? If God could do that, it wouldn't matter because He WOULDN'T. Forget about those little details that won't matter EVER in ANY instance. Totally lame excuses...
Actually, it does matter.

Is God's omnipotence limited to logical possibility? If you say that a created rock that is too heavy for God to lift is an "impossible object," then you are saying that God's omnipotence is necessarily restricted to the very creation He made. It means that God simply can't do something that an omnipotent Creator should technically be able to do.

Regardless, philosophically God's omnipotence has been defined to me as "God can do anything logically possible for God to do." God cannot make a round-square, God cannot make a rock so heavy that He cannot lift it, God cannot lie, God cannot live and at the same time be dead. Makes sense?... Yeah, but ... it still seems like it is wrong to limit God to logic, doesn't it?

Tromos
06-27-2007, 06:07 PM
I guess to me it falls under the "Who cares?!" category.

Look! 30,000 kids died last month from starvation, abuse, and neglect! I think the best thing I can do with my time is wonder about whether God can do something that doesn't compute to my amoeba-sized brain!

Sorry. Personal rant there. I get a little frustrated with Christian "intellectuals" who spend more time feeding their egos than feeding the hungry.

DarkestRose
06-27-2007, 06:13 PM
For clarification, is that a denouncement on this thread? Or the discussion?

alienyouth9292
06-27-2007, 06:16 PM
yea that^^ confused me too....

Tromos
06-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Neither, really. I wasn't aiming it at anyone in particular.

And I guess I don't have any real issue with talking about stuff like this. I just feel sad with the (particularly American) Christian culture that would rather stand and wait for a heaven they think they deserve because they say "Jesus" than go forth and serve with a whisper and humility that screams "JESUS".

And in all fairness, I'm at the front of the guilty on his one.

Bama Panther
06-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Here is one that was told to me recently on another MB:

some people are just too smart and/or sane to need/get stuck with religion.

Same guy:

i think there must be a certain amount of neurosis to truly believe in the supernatural. to believe in something supernatural that you actually interact and speak with like they are listening, that crosses into psychosis.

::]

Quadripedman
06-28-2007, 03:07 PM
that sorta doesnt make sence lol....

DarkestRose
06-28-2007, 03:16 PM
I have heard the theory of religious belief being a neurological disorder before. The basic tenant is saying that belief in God = delusion.

Quadripedman
06-28-2007, 08:11 PM
lol. whatever.::]

NightCrawler
06-28-2007, 08:23 PM
lol. whatever.::]
If you go to college, you will be repeatedly attacked with that claim.

If you are a Christian, expect a lot of people to assume you are
a) crazy
b) irrational
c) unreasonable
d) confused
e) delusional
f) doing your own thing (which is perfectly fine until you say something about sin or everyone needing God)
g) in your little box

Quadripedman
06-28-2007, 08:31 PM
If you go to college, you will be repeatedly attacked with that claim.

If you are a Christian, expect a lot of people to assume you are
a) crazy
b) irrational
c) unreasonable
d) confused
e) delusional
f) doing your own thing (which is perfectly fine until you say something about sin or everyone needing God)
g) in your little box

ugh....that will be "fun"..im still defenately going to college though. people can live with it..

DarkestRose
06-28-2007, 08:33 PM
The best thing to do is be informed on your faith and beliefs and be able to understand the different claims non-Christians will have against you and be able to answer them.

Quadripedman
06-28-2007, 08:36 PM
yea, thats what im planning on being...hopefully...

TheFireBreathes
06-29-2007, 04:48 PM
"I gotta get my life straight before going to God"

does it really matter?

DarkestRose
06-29-2007, 05:25 PM
That's Biblically inaccurate. Unfortunately, Christians have created the idea among non-Christians that we only accept people who have it all together.

Quadripedman
06-29-2007, 06:47 PM
that makes no sence whatsoever...

"a loving God wouldnt da.mn people to he.ll" that one's from my mom again..

alienyouth9292
06-29-2007, 07:11 PM
a loving God had to give consequence for us rejecting him^^

Tromos
06-30-2007, 06:53 AM
that makes no sence whatsoever...

"a loving God wouldnt da.mn people to he.ll" that one's from my mom again..

He doesn't. People condemn themselves. God saves some. He'd prefer to save them all.