rock_out_loud7
06-27-2007, 03:24 PM
i dont know if im posting this in the right place but:
Ok so I am 14, and I am really having a big problem with keeping bad thoughts out of my head, and saying bad confessions. I am quickly moving farther from god, and I really want to come closer. Now I know i need to spend more time in the word of god, because I dont very much at all right now.
My question is, should I just start reading the whole bible from front to back?? It seems like all of you read the bible all the time, and I am inspired. I want to read gods word and study it and really know it. Sorry if this is stupid. ??? :-\

timmyrotter
06-27-2007, 03:36 PM
get plugged in with a good youth group.

Tromos
06-27-2007, 04:01 PM
I think trying to read the Bible from front to back is probably not the best approach. Genesis is fairly cool. And Exodus isn't bad. But once you hit Leviticus, I think you just might abandon the whole idea.

I would suggest you focus on the Gospels. I know you've heard the stories about Jesus a thousand times, but really wrap your mind around them. Read a section, then stop and think about it. What kind of people is Jesus dealing with here? What kind of people are like that now? How did people expect Him to act? What did He really do? What does that tell you?

No, you probably aren't in a position to cast out demons or to heal blind people. But what would you do if someone who looked crazy or smelled bad or was a social outcast came to you? Would you cringe away like the people around Jesus? Would you gather into your safe group of clones and point and sneer and judge? Or would you step out boldly, regardless of personal physical AND SOCIAL injury and react with love and true compassion?

Urf. That's hard.

The real lesson for us in the Gospels isn't so much what Jesus did. It's the attitude with which He did it.

Read the stories again. You're likely to see them all brand new.

The Lamma
06-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Also read Acts. That is one darn cool book. I like the whole NT the best the ok. Somewhere in the Bible does say, though, that you should daily ask the Holy Spirit to cleanse your mind.

DarkestRose
06-27-2007, 04:39 PM
I love the Psalms too. King David definitely wrote a lot about grace. When I initially was stuck in obsessive thoughts, reading on God's forgiveness and spiritual healing filled up the thirst that ached inside of me.

DarkestRose
06-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Rock_Out_Loud7, I also wonder if, after your thoughts, you ruminate over them in guilt later? Because this has always been the problem with me and it only makes things worse.

rock_out_loud7
06-27-2007, 05:51 PM
^^ Ya sometimes i deffinatly do that, but it obviously doesnt make them go away.

And thanks everyone for the help. I will try reading everyday somewhere in the bible. And I will really try not to get bored with it, or just give up like I have the last few times I have attempted. Thank you.

DarkestRose
06-27-2007, 05:54 PM
I know it's hard if your thoughts disturb you and then you react via your feelings, but you need to repent for them, take God's grace and let them be after that. Otherwise you'll condition yourself and get "stuck" in those obsessions. If you ruminate, tell yourself you're forgiven and move on. I think we both may have a tendency to over-think things.

rock_out_loud7
06-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Yes exactly. I obsess over things, even the smallest of things. And then when those things dont turn out the way I wish they would, I get depressed. And the cycle goes on and on. And I over think things way too much. And say bad confessions. I need to learn to control my tounge, because everything I say, I know, can come true. So yes, I need to repent, and be forgiven. And then thing before I talk and think.

skynes
06-28-2007, 12:57 AM
Daily reading and prayer.

Start with Psalm 1.

This whole attitude thing of despair and obsession is something for God to fix, He fixes your mind by reprogramming it.... as you read His word :)

Doesn't matter if it's just a chapter or a few verses. A daily reading will change your life.

rock_out_loud7
06-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Thanks, I am already started.

Joelle
07-02-2007, 10:23 AM
you know what else...pray for your life...i've had struggles with thoughts before and the only way they'll stay out is if i keep my focus on Jesus...and praying for life. maybe it's good if you confide in someone you trust..and have them pray for you and keep you accountable..like a youth pastor or something