Pashin Froot
07-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Has anyone noticed that Skillet no longer has songs that have the word "God" "Jesus" or "Christ" or alike? My friends pointed that out to me. Although I disagree that they are avoiding Christianity, I have noticed that their songs are not as Christian-like as they used to be. In fact, one of my friends said that they were taking God out of their songs to gain popularity! I find that really rude and untrue, but if anyone has anymore on that...:-\

bob
07-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Because Pronouns are obviously unchristian.

Better than Drugs obviously doesn't refer to God.
Whispers in the Dark obviously doesn't refer to God.
Looking for Angels is obviously an unchristian song.
The Last Night totally isn't a conversation between God and a girl.

Even the bible uses pronouns to refer to God at some points. You can't use God in ever sentence, it's not poetic.

Pashin Froot
07-03-2007, 09:11 PM
So what you're saying is, they're just God stand-in's? i guess that makes sense, but that's not spreading much of the word of God...is it?

timmyrotter
07-03-2007, 09:31 PM
im so mad right now that i am not going to post...

timmyrotter
07-03-2007, 09:36 PM
what? spreading the word, like Third Day? or The Newsboys? who play only christian festivals, only get played on christian radio. what an awesome witness! before you pass judgment, are you spreading the word? i have met and talked to John several times, i have seen how they act, how they talk, how they live for the past 5 years. i do not doubt their faith. what would you say to a christian who is a carpenter, 'only do work for christians'?

think before you pass judgement, and tell your friends that too.

DarkestRose
07-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Their songs are in no way "not Christian." What's more Christian than giving somebody the hope that there will be a last night from all the pain that they feel? What is more Christian than letting people know that there are second chances? Or that we could be an angel to somebody in need (because we're all in need)? How strong is a Christian faith if we need to constantly say "God" or "Jesus" to let people know of which faith we speak?

I think they are evangelizing. Firstly, I am very passionate about evangelism but I don't like it when we give non-Christians the impression that we don't care who they are or what they are going through, we just want to convert them and be done with it. Jesus saved us and we praise Him for it. He also loved sinners, healed them and gave them hope. We need to do love people, heal them and give them hope. Skillet's songs do that for people. How is that not spreading the Word of God?

And we need Christians who do this because, while I love worship music in how it provokes my love for God and compels me to praise Him, non-Christians don't relate to that stuff at all. They don't know God. Sometimes they don't even believe in Him. What they need is for someone to sing about what they do relate to but with positivity and with faith. That means a lot.

John's thing so far has been to people that nothing you have said, or thought or done or read or seen on the Internet or whatever is going to change God's love for you. Because a lot of kids are hurting and they need to know Christians who are genuine and who come conclusions of love and grace.

It's a bummer that while Skillet is being used by God to help so many young people who struggle with abuse, cutting, suicide, depression, drugs, or whatever that they're still having people say they are "selling out."

Is there some unwritten law that says the band will forever be accused of selling out until they revert to Alien Youth-esque songs?

This as so head-pounding-ly frustrating! It's like when Skillet came out with "Savior," which totally floored me and then people were all, "Well, it doesn't say it's about Jesus." Oh. My. Gosh.

And then in one interview (http://christianmusic.about.com/od/interviewsmz/a/aaintskillet04.htm) John was lambasted for saying that [for doing the video for "Savior"] he "didn't want a token Christian video, like some message or something dorky" and this was twisted into meaning that John thought all Christian music videos were dorky and she had an editorial and a poll insinuating the Skillet was selling out.

I was thinking about what Timmy said about it [the forum site] being about the band. And that's true because the band isn't about glorifying themselves and gaining fame or wealth but about giving others this hope that they found through Jesus Christ.

It seems like any band that wants to sing for Christians and non-Christians but neither exclusively is going to be attacked for being "too Christian" and "not Chrisitan enough."

It's just as sad as when, on YouTube, I was watching Flyleaf's video for "I'm So Sick" and someone was commenting that the band/song didn't seem that Christian because Lacey screamed and had black fingernails and the video was "weird."

However, I do feel that we should have forgiveness toward people who make uninformed assumptions about the band. I don't think that these assumptions are right at all, but I think that, if we're humble in that grace we've received, we should do well to be sure we show the same mercy to others. I don't think they're bad Christians or Pharisees, but rather good Christians that came to a misguided conclusion about the band.

ADad
07-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Interested in what a 46 year old dad thinks?

I just got back from SummerFest in Milwaukee where Skillet played. My two teen sons were in the audience and me observing on the sidelines. Its not a Christian festival...many bands over 10 days. The audience was mixed...many just wanted a driving beat and onstage energy...which Skillet definitely provided.

I could kind of understand their lyrics and I have read about Skillet some online...but I learned most, I think, from talking with my boys. Their impression means a lot in what message this band is really projecting.

I give Skillet a strong thumbs up!

Don't get me wrong. I don't really like the style of music, lyrics weren't always clear and I didn't like the antics of a few of the Summerfest revelers in the crowd (not Skillet's fault...lots of beer at summerfest...it is Milwaukee).

What I do know is the world is making a strong play for my son's souls. I wish I had control over it like when they were 3 & 4 and so innocent...but now they are in the crux of the battle. They have faith in Jesus Christ but are enticed by all sorts of things. They need to know there are people like the Skillet band out there on the edge in the battle. Keeping the faith. I'm sure the Skillet folks are not perfect and maybe they have compromised here and there because of the enticements of this world...they have to watch that I'm sure...but God help them. They desire to follow the Lord and Please Him. Pray for them to keep the faith...as I pray for my two sons.

God help us all....we need it!
John

bob
07-04-2007, 04:09 AM
So what you're saying is, they're just God stand-in's?

In linguistics and grammar, a pronoun is a pro-form that substitutes for a noun or noun phrase with or without a determiner, such as you and they in English. The replaced phrase is the antecedent of the pronoun. A pronoun used for the item questioned in a question is called an interrogative pronoun, such as who.

For example, consider the sentence "John gave the coat to Alice." All three nouns in the sentence can be replaced by pronouns to give: "He gave it to her." If the coat, John, and Alice have been previously mentioned, the listener can deduce what the pronouns he, it and her refer to and therefore understand the meaning of the sentence.

Grammar is important in my mind. Just because you use a pronoun doesn't mean you aren't referring to God, it doesn't change the meaning of the sentence.

john316
07-04-2007, 04:58 AM
Here's something to think about...look at the book of Esther in the bible. God's name is never mentioned but I think it is very apparent that he is involved in the whole story.

Unregistered
07-04-2007, 05:32 AM
Thanks! That's really something to preach...or not preach...umm...

and sorry if I made anyone mad. I really didn't want to offend anyone, especially John C. or the band. My apologies. I'll make sure I think things over next time.

Joelle
07-04-2007, 06:01 AM
it's very frustrating that a band who are are Christians "have" to mention God or Jesus in their lyrics. As a Christian you aren't saying Jesus in everything you talk about. i wish more people would understand that Skillet is trying to reach people who aren't Christians..they are in no way ashamed of their faith..i mean haven't you looked at their lyrics from this album?? at least probably all but 2 songs give such a clear reference to their beliefs in God..how can you not see that? I'm so glad that skillet is reaching so many unsaved people..i mean isnt that what it's about? I'm getting so sick of the the whole "christian and secular" thing...no wonder bands such as thrice and paramore never started in the christian business...why do Christians need to have their own special kind of music for just themselves..sure it can be good..but theres lots of good positive music..labelling things is just frutrating because everybody gets so mad at the artists for not doing what they want the band to do. if you have a problem go make a band yourself or something. oh and no skillet is not writing songs like that to gain popularity...i mean it does help if you dont have every other words saying Jesus because when you singing to people who aren't Christians they dont tend to love hearing songs about Jesus..do you get what i mean?

Punkchick_002
07-04-2007, 06:53 AM
I didn't mean that thay are getting "un-christian" they are not trying to sound like a-lot of Christian bands out there. No, there song might not mention God, but, WE know they are, and un-christan and christans alike can relate to the songs. So...NO they might not mention God, but, you can tell that is who they are associating some songs with!!! Now, some songs, COULD be a love song to his wife, at least that is what a close friend thinks, and if they are, so....who REALLY cares....they can be taken diffrent ways!!!!

PlayAtari2600
07-04-2007, 09:44 AM
I was mostly standing back until now and seeing where this would go, but now I think I'll just throw a view in for good measure:

Christian bands do NOT have to mention "God" in every song. Not at all. I'm in a christian band, and I write the lyrics, and rarely do I flat-out mention God.

HOWEVER, eventually you do have to mention God in a song, or at least mention him at your concerts or give a brief message. How else are people supposed to know they're a christian band? This is not directed at Skillet, because at every concert I've gone to they have mentioned God, although I have not gone to a concert of theirs at a secular venue, though I sincerely hope they do mention God there. But let's say you go to a concert and a band plays a sweet show without mentioning God, and their songs are wrote in such a way that if you're not Christian, you won't assume their about God(and let's face it, Skillet's songs are that way). Then you go home. The end. Where the band had a chance to have some form of impact on you, as a good Christian band should, they merely let you head-bang, and then you left and went back to your sinful ways.

So if Skillet is leaving God out of their secular concerts, that's dissapointing and something should be done about that. But other than that, leave them alone. They're good witnesses with amazing music.

the rocker
07-04-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm so sick of people making a relationship with God about religion. I'm not saying anyone here has or hasn't, but I see it all over the place, everythwhere I go, every day. You have to pray three times a day, go to church every Sunday. ect. It's getting really messed up. We've forgotten a lot.

Skillet has realized this, it's their message of Comatose, and they know what it means to have a relationship with God. They do talk about God, got to one of their shows. But they've also realized that there are a lot of hurting people out there, and that's why lately they've been centering their music around helping those people. And thank God, cause someone has needed to.

Enough rant..

alienyouth9292
07-04-2007, 01:28 PM
I was mostly standing back until now and seeing where this would go, but now I think I'll just throw a view in for good measure:

Christian bands do NOT have to mention "God" in every song. Not at all. I'm in a christian band, and I write the lyrics, and rarely do I flat-out mention God.

HOWEVER, eventually you do have to mention God in a song, or at least mention him at your concerts or give a brief message. How else are people supposed to know they're a christian band? This is not directed at Skillet, because at every concert I've gone to they have mentioned God, although I have not gone to a concert of theirs at a secular venue, though I sincerely hope they do mention God there. But let's say you go to a concert and a band plays a sweet show without mentioning God, and their songs are wrote in such a way that if you're not Christian, you won't assume their about God(and let's face it, Skillet's songs are that way). Then you go home. The end. Where the band had a chance to have some form of impact on you, as a good Christian band should, they merely let you head-bang, and then you left and went back to your sinful ways.

So if Skillet is leaving God out of their secular concerts, that's dissapointing and something should be done about that. But other than that, leave them alone. They're good witnesses with amazing music.

i agree with you 100%....

kkrueger84
07-04-2007, 01:40 PM
i agree with you 100%....

As do I. ;)

Pashin Froot
07-05-2007, 03:01 AM
yah, u guys are definitly right. Just like in the song "Looking for Angels" it says that we are disentitized by the lies of the world. i guess i was blinded by the lies of the world...sorry! and everyone has a great point. this is really something to know, something to preach.

DarkestRose
07-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Well, this shouldn't be hunting of anybody who sounds de-programmed. It's always going to be hard to tell where the band is out without actual in-put from the band. And it is good to want them to be congruent with their faith in everything, especially their music which is their ministry.

And I feel like my post was too long.

theelectric3
07-06-2007, 07:30 PM
does anyone not remember their tour with saliva?

they played "Angels Fall Down" in clubs... a mixed crowd.

flyleaf toured with saliva after skillet. lacey from flyleaf said how the guys in saliva kept talking about how skillet had a great effect in their lives.

personally, i think all this talk is silly. continue to keep the band in your prayers for wisdom, protection and the like.

and leave them in God's hands.

God is using them with where He is calling them.

timmyrotter
07-06-2007, 09:52 PM
thank you tracy for bringing that up. as far as i know, the singer from Saliva is saved now.

anyone who is worried about Flyleaf, they sang the "Hungry (falling on my knees)" chorus during "There for you" at a club i saw them at, with Kill Hannah and Sick Puppies. that was impressive.

bekbel
07-06-2007, 10:32 PM
I am personally all for the route they are taking. These songs make you think a whole lot harder, and I believe they are doing the same for unbelievers.

jesusfreak
07-07-2007, 09:05 AM
I don't think Skillet is getting "unChristianly" --- I know people dis Christians now and say we're "intolerant" --- but in the Book of Esther in the Bible God's name isn't even mentioned. Is that "unChristianly"? I don't think so.

Quadripedman
07-07-2007, 11:02 AM
it takes a lot of guts to sing an outright praise song on tour with a secular band like saliva, especially in a secular venue ;D

*two claps for skillet!*

BarlowgIRL
07-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Here's my view. I was talking drum lessons from a woman at church. She thinks Mercy Me is hardcore. Anyway, she told me that she'd teach me anysong that I wanted so I knew right off that I wanted to do a Skillet song. She, however, wouldn't teach me because she had gone to a show with the youth group and didn't like that Korey had black fingernails, black makeup, and wore all black. She said that they were Satanic because all Goths are Satanic. After much, that means MUCH, going on about that they were Christian and in this song blah blah blah, she relented. Then told me it was too hard to teach. Anyway, I get frustrated when ADULTS tell me that they're not Christian, but for teens to say that, I just wanna deck em in the face! Have you WONDERED why people think of Christian music the way they do? It's beacuse all they know of is that they have crappy tunes and say God every line. So when bands get out there and play at non Christian shows and gay bars they are OBVIOUSLY not spreading God's word to the people that need to hear it. They would be failures to God if they only played at Christian venues and didn't go out to ALL the nations to spread the word of salvation. So do I think they are less Christian? I think they're stronger than the ones that say Jesus every line. Because they know how to get the point across that God loves you no matter what you did or who you are.

Punkchick_002
07-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Here's my view. I was talking drum lessons from a woman at church. She thinks Mercy Me is hardcore. Anyway, she told me that she'd teach me anysong that I wanted so I knew right off that I wanted to do a Skillet song. She, however, wouldn't teach me because she had gone to a show with the youth group and didn't like that Korey had black fingernails, black makeup, and wore all black. She said that they were Satanic because all Goths are Satanic. After much, that means MUCH, going on about that they were Christian and in this song blah blah blah, she relented. Then told me it was too hard to teach.
So....she would teach you at first because of the was Korey looked? well, thats WAY better than the way alot pf people dress...at least she covers herself with clothes!!!!!

DarkestRose
07-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Some people have preconceived notions about what a person is like before they get to know them. I know of many older people who feel that there is something inherently evil about the way punk, gothic, emo and rocker-types of people dress mostly based on cultural assumptions of their time. To me, it's the same as when people sometimes judge preppy or trendy people based on their appearance as snobby or airheaded or shallow.

Punkchick_002
07-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Yeah...and I hate when people do that, like I am emo, and when I go to the mall with friends, you can see in peoples eyes that you are like scum of the earth, and they don't even know you! Now...I can't say that I haven't done it, I mean I am only human, but not with EVERY person. Also the thing with Korey.....if she was satanic, and ALL into black...why would she be in a christian band?

DarkestRose
07-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Of late, many people would call them sell-outs. ::] This instance right there has been one of the first times I saw Christians being judgmental to each other; that someone would so obviously be Christian and yet be told that they were selling out is saddening/maddening. I remember telling someone that Skillet was expanding to the mainstream audience and the response I got was, "So they're watering down their lyrics?" which I have not found to be the case.

Punkchick_002
07-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Yeah....my mom thinks they are "selling out" which isn't the case...they are just going mainstream to reach out to a broader audience. Because my boyfriend got saved through there music, because he heard them on a non-christian radio station, checked them out, found they were christian, and rad some interviwes, and saw how much God ment to them, and was saved, then he shared them with his friend, who in turned were saved, because Skillet went mainstream, DID NOT "water down" their lyrics, just made them where non-christian and christians could relate to them better!

Quadripedman
07-07-2007, 10:52 PM
i wouldnt say that theyre watering down their lyrics, so much as changing the words around (using pronouns) so that they can appeal to a secular audience.

Quadripedman
07-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Here's my view. I was talking drum lessons from a woman at church. She thinks Mercy Me is . Anyway, she told me that she'd teach me anysong that I wanted so I knew right off that I wanted to do a Skillet song. She, however, wouldn't teach me because she had gone to a show with the youth group and didn't like that Korey had black fingernails, black makeup, and wore all black. She said that they were Sat,anic because all s are ic.

...check this out...

clicky, clicky. (http://www.christianrocklyrics.com/laudamus/free.php)

Couldnt be more true in my openion that according to BarlowgIRL, im now allowd to have...

Punkchick_002
07-08-2007, 05:26 AM
I like that....is it like a song or a poem??? Well, whatever it is, it's now my theme song/poem!!! :)

Punkchick_002
07-08-2007, 05:27 AM
Ignore sad face, its supposed to be a question mark!

I'll_Be_Ok
07-08-2007, 03:33 PM
In my opinion Skillet is NOT getting less Christian in their music, in fact they are becoming more Christian if you ask me. One of my best friends has started listening to Skillet recently, mostly their new stuff. They're really helping her through a tough time right now, and it's easier for me to witness to her since she's started listening to them. Their newer music is reaching out to those who aren't yet Christians and those who are as well. What's not Christian-like about that I ask!

Joelle
07-08-2007, 04:00 PM
i think thats awesome.

Quadripedman
07-08-2007, 05:20 PM
its a song. i got it from the homepage of Christianrocklyrics.com ;D it said "if you have a problem with Christian Rock (etc) read this"

Punkchick_002
07-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Ok...thanks! Yeah....there are people that ask me what kind of music I like and I instantly say Skillet, and they want to know who that is, so I let them listen to my ipod (which I ALWAYS have with me!), and they want to know more about them, so I tell them they are christian, and explain what I think the sing means, and I have gotten,2 people to take into concideration coming to church and things like that...so......

DarkestRose
07-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Who voted "definitely"?

bob
07-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Probably someone being a troll.

DarkestRose
07-08-2007, 09:50 PM
I was really ticked about that. I don't know why. I doesn't mean anything.

bob
07-08-2007, 09:51 PM
I was really ticked about that. I don't know why.

Ha ha ha. BETRAYAL!

DarkestRose
07-08-2007, 09:57 PM
That was sort of my initial reaction. And then I was wondering if someone from outside Panheads voted. Or if that's even possible.

timmyrotter
07-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Who voted "definitely"?

if they had a serious opinion im sure they would have posted.

DarkestRose
07-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Unless they didn't want to defend it.

bubblesemm
07-09-2007, 04:13 AM
well,my opinion is that they are still Christian songs/a Christian band.i mean,you don't have to always talk about God to be a Christian and you don't always have to sing about God to be a Christian band.if you go to their concerts you will know that they are Christian.now,i do understand and agree that they do not use the words God/Jesus or whatever as much but that,in my opinion, is only because they are trying to reach the unsaved and to do that sometimes you have to get down their level.