terrasin
07-07-2007, 04:18 PM
How many of you are watching and supporting?

http://entimg.msn.com/i/LiveEarth/landingpage/altplayer/q.html

timmyrotter
07-07-2007, 04:26 PM
im not for supporting Al Gore's political stunt...

DarkestRose
07-07-2007, 04:56 PM
What is this about? I clicked "about" on the menu and was told the page was unavailable.

timmyrotter
07-07-2007, 05:07 PM
its a wordwide concert tour to raise global warming awareness.

DarkestRose
07-07-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm really into this stuff when it is political. Though I do think I would be for a more politics-neutral environmentalist backing to an event like this.

terrasin
07-07-2007, 07:54 PM
There has been a huge political backing with this. It's been great to raise awareness. Unfortunately, I was unable to work this show, though we were offered. I was really looking forward to it too. :( It's all good though, I still got to see it via webcast. :)

DarkestRose
07-07-2007, 09:22 PM
I still have not looked into global warming deep enough to generate an opinion on this. I live in a mostly conservative, Republican-leaning environment where I'm used to people saying that it's pseudo-science or liberal sensationalism. So that's the prejudice I hear most often and I don't think I have ever heard the other side in a thorough sense. To be honest, (maybe this is horrid apathy on my part), the notion of climate changes sounds boring to me, so I never bothered to look it up on my own.

However I do think that it is important to care for the environment because it's God's creation and it reflects His glory. Also, I think other people benefit from having clear water, clear air, and all that goes along with caring for the environment. That sympathy right there makes me want to support the cause at least somewhat.

Probably on the site, but what bands are playing?

timmyrotter
07-08-2007, 12:29 AM
global warming is a political stunt to bring Al Gore back into the spotlight for a future presidential campaign. any warming is nothing more than a trend.
if the ice caps melt, it will cool the ocean temps creating a cooling trend/ice age, and balance out again.

terrasin
07-08-2007, 02:58 AM
If you would bother to look at the scientific facts, you would see that the change in our climate going on right now is much more extreme than in the past shifts in climate, not to mention that it's happening a lot faster than in the past.

My main study in Conservation and Zoological Society which I am a member and Head of Public Relations for is Oceanography. Just in the time I've been studying life in the ocean, only a few years now, there have been major issues going on which is caused by global warming. Mainly the shift in water temperature which is warming up the oceans.

The most dramatic and sad issue going on is the bleaching of the coral reefs. In approximately 20 years, the Great Barrier Reef will no longer exist because of it's constant bleaching due to climate change. Reefs are very fragile systems and any changes in their ecosystem can literally kill them.

So yes, the whole idea that "it's just a cycle the earth goes through" and that it's some "government conspiracy" is complete hogwash. There are a ton of people out there who just love to do everything they can to discredit people who take steps forward.

timmyrotter
07-08-2007, 06:39 AM
lets think about this CJ, who recently brought this movement into light? who isnt a scientist, but is a lying politician? Al Gore...

alienyouth9292
07-08-2007, 07:56 AM
global warming? a concert? Al Gore? *laughs*

Crazy4U
07-08-2007, 10:04 AM
global warming? a concert? Al Gore? *laughs*

hahaha... chhhyeaaa... thats what i thought.

DarkestRose
07-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Well, I think it's interesting. It's probably better to improve the environment now and play it safe than risk it.

I feel that some people won't look into the issue simply because there is a politician that they disagree with in the midst of the issue.

pidget
07-08-2007, 02:33 PM
I definitely think the we should take care of the environment. I mean, we do live here, after all, and if we screw it up it's kind of hard to change it back.
Personally, though, I think environmentalists spend a little too much time putting emphasis on just one thing. Global warming, being the most popular issue. I honestly think that the polution of fresh water should be a bigger concern, because many, many species have to have fresh water to survive. Even though the earth is largely water, only about 7% of that is actually fresh water. So every day factories and other things are pouring waste into some of the few fresh water sources we have. It's not even the ones that openly have rubbish being dumped into lakes and rivers, but factories that leak pollution into underground water channels.

*ahem* Anyway, yes, that's my two cents. But back on topic, I didn't get to see Live Earth, although I wanted to. I was busy pretty much all day yesterday.

NightCrawler
07-10-2007, 08:14 AM
If you would bother to look at the scientific facts, you would see that the change in our climate going on right now is much more extreme than in the past shifts in climate, not to mention that it's happening a lot faster than in the past.

My main study in Conservation and Zoological Society which I am a member and Head of Public Relations for is Oceanography. Just in the time I've been studying life in the ocean, only a few years now, there have been major issues going on which is caused by global warming. Mainly the shift in water temperature which is warming up the oceans.
But did humans cause the change? What about volcanos?

The most dramatic and sad issue going on is the bleaching of the coral reefs. In approximately 20 years, the Great Barrier Reef will no longer exist because of it's constant bleaching due to climate change. Reefs are very fragile systems and any changes in their ecosystem can literally kill them.
How could we control that? I mean, if it is in 20 years it sounds like it is imminent, even if it took 70 years I don't think we could ever reverse it.

So yes, the whole idea that "it's just a cycle the earth goes through" and that it's some "government conspiracy" is complete hogwash. There are a ton of people out there who just love to do everything they can to discredit people who take steps forward.
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/wea00/wea00166.htm

NightCrawler
07-10-2007, 08:25 AM
I definitely think the we should take care of the environment. I mean, we do live here, after all, and if we screw it up it's kind of hard to change it back.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Personally, though, I think environmentalists spend a little too much time putting emphasis on just one thing. Global warming, being the most popular issue.
Personally, I think that is because it is an "THE END IS NEAR" message.

I honestly think that the polution of fresh water should be a bigger concern, because many, many species have to have fresh water to survive. Even though the earth is largely water, only about 7% of that is actually fresh water. So every day factories and other things are pouring waste into some of the few fresh water sources we have. It's not even the ones that openly have rubbish being dumped into lakes and rivers, but factories that leak pollution into underground water channels.
That sounds like something we not only cause, but can prevent, and even reverse. Hard to reverse... but still sounds possible.

*ahem* Anyway, yes, that's my two cents. But back on topic, I didn't get to see Live Earth, although I wanted to. I was busy pretty much all day yesterday.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/jonathanvajda/super_gore.jpg

bob
07-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Heh, Al Gore. He invented the internet. ;)

timmyrotter
07-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Heh, Al Gore. He invented the internet. ;)

on a serious note James, Al Gore did
in fact invent Global Warming. :o

bob
07-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Before scientists all "agree" there's global warming, I demand a recount.

timmyrotter
07-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Hanging chads could be a problem.

about Live Earth, despite the fact that it is a leftist movement to get people to vote left. i enjoyed the highlights last night on MTV, Linkin park was so good, as was The Foo Fighters, and of course Kanye West. sweet packed out stadiums.